Failure to repair minor issue in the game, Why?

JadenStar

Why sense beta and then launch, The frag grenade in both rebel and imp they show now effect on larger creatures or not sound effect. this is what I mean, The game has minor issues and not one of them has been fixed. it must be a new thing with EA if it's not broken, do not fix it. Well news for those who have no clue..... it was never fixed correctly in the first place in beta.

How many commando's out there did the bonus quest/mission on Tatooine and received the double barrel scout cannon that fire's out of one barrel only, If you have a weapon that features a double barrel you should have a weapon that fire's out of both barrels correct ? Duh it a not brainer. it would be like the jedi shadow or sith assassin who both have double saber/twin saber only have one blade on.

EA / lucas art / bioware have been cutting corner on out our time and money, they put out a game that is suppose to surpass all other games. All issue in the game ever sense beta and launch has pretty much been swept under the rug.

For Example when you hop on a speeder to drive around, you cloak/cape hang down or your feet hang down far enough so you look like Fred Flintstone in his stone mobile, well people that issue will never get fixed, the only way to fix the clipping is that EA will have to build a new game engine to fix all other issues, The Hero engine that is used in this game is junk.

All these small and minor issues that have not been fixed, effect players game play and the perspective, EA said many times in video's you are the director you shape your character as you want. STOP put on the breaks....... OK What would a director say if the special effect dept. mess up in a shooting there go's 6 months of work down the drain. well you have a game that has a lot of issue and it not been fixed sense beta.

I challenge All you player to find at least 10 things wrong with the game and send it to customer service for the DEV's to fix. That include how to get ride of the credit farmer / we all know they do not play the game and grind there character to 55 so they are just as open game as we are.

My thoughts are if you build a game you better be able to back up your words on what the game can do, because THE OLD REPUBLIC has a lot fixing to do. Like the Strong Holds for example there are no bath rooms or showers in them after a long battle, we all need to clean up. Also the sith and Naashadda these two strong holds are much the same floor plan, no real plan or design was really thought off like a cookie cut out, like in galaxies all the caves/warren where cookie cut out style. The old republic is starting to fall in that nitch on making cookie cut caves, I know when a new content come out I check the caves and all area and the caves are the same.

so people you want a game that you can be proud to play and invite your friends to play with you, then get on Customer service's case and tell them that this game that launch 2 yrs and 9 ago is not what you promised....

Rant rant blah blah ...

I challenge All you player to find at least 10 things wrong with the game and send it to customer service for the DEV's to fix. That include how to get ride of the credit farmer / we all know they do not play the game and grind there character to 55 so they are just as open game as we are.

More rant rant...

I challenge you as a player to find 10 brilliant things in this game and tell them to your friends. These should easily overcome your cloak hanging down from your speeder or whatever your minor issue is.

The game has minor issues and not one of them has been fixed.

Wrong. There are loads of small issues that have been fixed, and you've never even noticed. Excessive scaling of some class quests for groups: Fixed. Double-spawning of some quest boses: Fixed. LoS issues in some quests preventing ability use: Fixed. I could go on, but the point is that there are loads of issues that were fixed, but you chose not to acknowledge them. To say that none of the remaining issues have been fixed is... pointless. Yes. Unfixed issues haven't been fixed. Also: The FBI still hasn't captured anyone on the Most Wanted list, and none of the unreleased DVDs on Amazon have ever been released.

How many commando's out there did the bonus quest/mission on Tatooine and received the double barrel scout cannon that fire's out of one barrel only,

So, you want them to work up animations and particle effects for every single canon configuration? It's possible, but it costs actual money, and it would result in a performance loss to have to calculate the correct set of effects to use for every single cannon/gun in the area.

For Example when you hop on a speeder to drive around, you cloak/cape hang down or your feet hang down

This has been discussed multiple times. The amount of processing power needed to drape a model over a speeder is very, very intense. We are talking about running intersection calculations on two sets of geometries of at least a few dozen polygons each. The math becomes rather impressive if you try it. It would result in a drastic performance hit which would become crushing whenever a bunch of people mounted their speeders at the same time.

...the only way to fix the clipping is that EA will have to build a new game engine to fix all other issues, The Hero engine that is used in this game is junk.

In my experience, most people who claim that the engine is junk don't have even entry-level knowledge of software development. Most of them simply re-iterate what they've heard other people say, without actually understanding. Your argument is hurt even more by your misconception that SWTOR uses the Hero engine.

Regardless, the problem is beyond your understanding, and as yet, I haven't seen a single engine that supported the kind of interactions you suggest. At best, they could hack the models to that capes and robes simply disappeared beyond a certain plane, but that would still probably require an engine feature and a re-work of nearly every single speeder model in the game.

That include how to get ride of the credit farmer / we all know they do not play the game and grind there character to 55 so they are just as open game as we are.

Here's an exercise: Try to come up with a way to stop credit farmers. I'll be impressed if you can outline a method that does not inconvenience paying customers more than credit farmers currently do. Even then, I can be almost certain that your method will not get rid of credit farmers.

Like the Strong Holds for example there are no bath rooms or showers in them

Nope. That fits the lore. Show me one shot in the movies of a bathroom or shower.

Yes, its non-sensical. But this is Star Wars, and Star Wars is notably not realistic.

EA / lucas art / bioware have been cutting corner on out our time and money, they put out a game that is suppose to surpass all other games.

No.

That was never promised. Nowhere were you guaranteed to have a game that met all your expectations and fulfilled your every desire and dream. It's unrealistic and frankly naive to think so.

Edited by Malastare

All I here are excuses from players winning, the point is if you are going to build a Epic game then you build it right and beta test it for more then 9 months. I know corner where cut, you tell me every thing that was possible to be done for this game was accrual been done with the utmost quality, Star wars galaxies had issues with clipping but they had the way to fix it so that the feet and capes dragging where fixed

then the gun/cannons if you have double barrel cannons like the Scout cannon you better darn well have it shoot out of both barrels or never have the Scout cannon in the game. I say if you are going to produce a weapon in the game then you darn well do it right the first time. So the cost of making a reboot from a arcade game which star wars the old republic is, if you think you all where playing an original design far from it. it was a arcade game with a different name. I know because I knew all about Taris . star wars arcades tell all.

So, you want them to work up animations and particle effects for every single canon configuration? It's possible, but it costs actual money, and it would result in a performance loss to have to calculate the correct set of effects to use for every single cannon/gun in the area.

This has been discussed multiple times. The amount of processing power needed to drape a model over a speeder is very, very intense. We are talking about running intersection calculations on two sets of geometries of at least a few dozen polygons each. The math becomes rather impressive if you try it. It would result in a drastic performance hit which would become crushing whenever a bunch of people mounted their speeders at the same time.

In my experience, most people who claim that the engine is junk don't have even entry-level knowledge of software development. Most of them simply re-iterate what they've heard other people say, without actually understanding. Your argument is hurt even more by your misconception that SWTOR uses the Hero engine.

Regardless, the problem is beyond your understanding, and as yet, I haven't seen a single engine that supported the kind of interactions you suggest. At best, they could hack the models to that capes and robes simply disappeared beyond a certain plane, but that would still probably require an engine feature and a re-work of nearly every single speeder model in the game.

Here's an exercise: Try to come up with a way to stop credit farmers. I'll be impressed if you can outline a method that does not inconvenience paying customers more than credit farmers currently do. Even then, I can be almost certain that your method will not get rid of credit farmers.

Nope. That fits the lore. Show me one shot in the movies of a bathroom or shower.

Yes, its non-sensical. But this is Star Wars, and Star Wars is notably not realistic.

No.

That was never promised. Nowhere were you guaranteed to have a game that met all your expectations and fulfilled your every desire and dream. It's unrealistic and frankly naive to think so.

All I here are excuses from players winning, the point is if you are going to build a Epic game then you build it right and beta test it for more then 9 months.

That's not how software development works. At least... that's not how good software development works. The game was very likely playtested for a couple years. However, the game was changing and growing throughout that entire period. Your implication of testing a game for a year after its essentially "done" is a horrible, horrible idea. Ignoring the fact that it is expensive beyond feasibility, it is a recipe for failure. You do not understand software development.

I know corner where cut, you tell me every thing that was possible to be done for this game was accrual been done with the utmost quality,

No video game will ever reach that level of quality. It is not financially feasible, and from a software perspective, it is exceedingly time consuming and ultimately impossible, even on a theoretical basis. Operating systems and drivers change faster than a perfectionist development team can complete a large game.

Star wars galaxies had issues with clipping but they had the way to fix it so that the feet and capes dragging where fixed

If I remember correctly (feel free to link video if I'm wrong here...) SWGs "fix" is to simply not have physics on their robes. If you want that, simply switch SWTOR to 'medium' level models. It will still have better graphics than SWG, and robes and capes won't hang down. They'll behave just like they did in your beloved SWG.

then the gun/cannons if you have double barrel cannons like the Scout cannon you better darn well have it shoot out of both barrels or never have the Scout cannon in the game.

That's your opinion. I disagree.

I'd rather they spend their resource on things that matter, not barely-noticeable fluff to satisfy the nitpicks of a minority of players.

So the cost of making a reboot from a arcade game which star wars the old republic is, if you think you all where playing an original design far from it.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. SWTOR is an original code base. It started out as a fork of the Hero engine, but is pretty far from that now. In truth, it runs its own unique engine, and has its own art resources.

it was a arcade game with a different name. I know because I knew all about Taris . star wars arcades tell all.

What game are you referring to? Is it perhaps Knights of the Old Republic? Made by... Bioware? It was originally released on the XBox, but was ported to PC a little later. SWTOR is based off of that game for sure, but I don't know why this is a negative. It shares the story, and more than a little of the art design, but zero code or art resources. SWTOR is not a "reboot" of KoTOR, but a continuation of the story.

I gotta say OP

If those are the only minor issues bothering you, shut thy mouth and enjoy the game

Could care less about any of the issues you mentioned.

On flip side though, EA is walking a fine line with me because issues I DO care about keep getting the following response (which I find unacceptable on every level)

Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us about the issue you encountered. This particular case appears to have been caused by a bug within the game that will need to be corrected in a future game update and as such, cannot be corrected by Customer Service.

What gets this response you ask?

Known Bug where legacy 50 players are read as legacy 0 and thus unable to do number of achievements that require legacy 50 as a prerequisite.

Known Bug where members of top 10 guilds are NOT given the weekly guild reward (despite them hitting the weekly conquest point target) yet their alts also in same guild do receive the weekly guild reward.

But here is the difference between the bugs that bug me and I want fixed and the OP bugs

Bugs I listed actually have a negative effect on peoples game play.

Bugs OP lists are petty little things that people shouldn't dwell on.

YES devs should fix the OP bugs, but they are very very very low on the list of priorities.

Issues that actually impact peoples gameplay should be front and center

PS: And freaking EA needs to stop using pre-written form letters cause Ill be honest. My first reaction to receiving any form letter in place of real customer service responses is to cancel and walk away.

Telemarketers use form letters and pre drafted scripts. REAL Customer service reps should not.

And piss off with the Droid nonsense, I want name and rep # to know who I'm communicating with.

Just so we're clear.

It sounds like chose the "Submit Bug Report" option. That's the canned response you always get. Bug reports are just to make people on the other end aware of issues.

If you submitted a ticket into a different category, and got that responses, than I would be a little worked up too.

Actually, I got that kind of response to a ticket I filed for a "Character/Companion" issue. Along with the part quoted, I was instructed to file a new ticket using using the "Bug Report" category. And of course, when you file a "Bug Report", IF you get a response, it's a form letter that says you won't get any update or other assistance, and you should just watch the patch notes to see if your issue has been addressed. Edited by Adric_the_Red

Just so we're clear.

It sounds like chose the "Submit Bug Report" option. That's the canned response you always get. Bug reports are just to make people on the other end aware of issues.

If you submitted a ticket into a different category, and got that responses, than I would be a little worked up too.

nope that was the 2 day later response to a in game mission feedback I wrote up about the guild rewards arriving to some characters but not others!

INGAME

And there is NO acceptable reason to use such a terribly written and insulting form letter anyways.

A simple

Hi, this is John Doe (Rep# ****) from cust service here

We have recieved your feedback and directed it to the appropriate depts for prioritized follow up

Thank you for bringing this to our attention

Thank you for subscribing to Star Wars: The Old Republic

Thats all they had to write

Real name, not fake *** droid id

Rep number for subscribers personal records

statement THEY have forwarded the issue(s) to correct depts (NOT YOU, you did your part reporting, now its on them fully)

and thanking you for your support and attention

Simple

professional

non dismissive

appreciative

In other words, EVERYTHING their reply was not

Good Cust service is NOT THAT HARD

But does require the party receiving the information to be interested

Frankly the reply EA sent out reads to me as

Could care less so here is a fake droid handle so nothing said here can come back at anyone specific

Dismissive

passing the buck

ignorant and quite arrogant

Honestly the feedback is EVERYTHING any professional business SHOULD NOT DO

Worked in service industry all my life and there is NO GOOD REASON for bad customer service

Actually I think the worst response to a bug report about an actual, real, non-working or incorrectly-working feature of the game is this (paraphrasing):

Thank you for contacting support with your request for help. Unfortunately we can't give out game hints or solutions.

Something to that effect. I literally (figuratively) hear veins burst in my head when I get those responses.

Honestly support in this game has bugged me and made me delete 6 max level characters because they couldn't fix the situation that they instilled. So asking support for help in this game is like asking a quadriplegic for a hand up

OP... I'll take a crack at why they aren't fixed...

Simply put.. as your title indicates, they are MINOR, non game-breaking, issues.

Can you use your shotgun, or speeder? Yes? The it receives a lower priority. It effects a small number of players? a lower priority. Only a very small percentage of those effected players actually complain about it... even a lower priority.

Now, before you go on about how SWTOR is supposed to be the game that ends all games... not gonna happen bud. Every game... and I mean EVERY game has some issues minor to major.

I think your expectation is a tad high to be honest. I'd challenge you to find 1 MMO without some issue...

Humm!

I never understand why people always go for the most difficult way to solve a problem?

In the end this is only a game not an attempt at 100% realism, just look a tw'lek lekku on lifts :D, all that is needed is just something to hide the obvious dangling bits!

Sit on Speeder = Make bottom 1/2 or 1/3 of cloak being worn invisible (It can then still flap about to its hearts content without distracting the player)

I see two routes:

1) Add a second cloak texture with the invisible part

All the game engine needs to do is swap textures when the cloak is used on a speeder or mount where the problem occurs!

2) You add the ability to make part of a cloak texture invisible, all the game engine needs to track then is if the player is on a mount where the dangling bits show and you turn on the invisibility

Job done minimal engine overhead!