A weird thing about the sharding

Claymaniac

Yesterday, I created a new consular for fun and was running around Tython. Noticed on the social tab, there were 78 people in Tython, but there was no indication of sharding. All the players showed they were just on Tython and not Tython(1) or Tython(2).

However, I switch to my lv31 Sage on Tatooine and the social tab shows 47 people. I click on it and it says showing the first 97 results and the players are in Tatooine(1) and Tatooine(2).

Isn't Tatooine significantly bigger than Tython? Why is Tatooine getting sharded with 97 people when Tython doesn't need it with 78 people? Wish I could figure out what the criteria is for sharding. Or, is checking the social panel to see Tatooine not the right indicator of the number of people on Tatooine?

I really dislike sharding, but I could understand the reasoning for it. It has been a great experience to play so far without having to compete too much for mobs and resources. But, it does feel like its being done a bit too much. Of course, I am just speculating, Bioware might have hard data showing them its necessary. But, I would like to hear thoughts on the reasoning behind no shards in Tython, but sharding in Tatooine.

Edited by Claymaniac

Yesterday, I created a new consular for fun and was running around Tython. Noticed on the social tab, there were 78 people in Tython, but there was no indication of sharding. All the players showed they were just on Tython and not Tython(1) or Tython(2).

However, I switch to my lv31 Sage on Tatooine and the social tab shows 47 people. I click on it and it says showing the first 97 results and the players are in Tatooine(1) and Tatooine(2).

Isn't Tatooine significantly bigger than Tython? Why is Tatooine getting sharded with 97 people when Tython doesn't need it with 78 people? Wish I could figure out what the criteria is for sharding. Or, is checking the social panel to see Tatooine not the right indicator of the number of people on Tatooine?

I really dislike sharding, but I could understand the reasoning for it. It has been a great experience to play so far without having to compete too much for mobs and resources. But, it does feel like its being done a bit too much. Of course, I am just speculating, Bioware might have hard data showing them its necessary. But, I would like to hear thoughts on the reasoning behind no shards in Tython, but sharding in Tatooine.

Guess on my part but the number it shows for you are the number of Republic players on Tatooine not total players. Since Tatooine is a mixed sith/republic world that there were more Sith players at the time required the server to shard into the instances as to not over populate the sith side quests. Since the republic players are on the same world it would be instanced for them as well as they can interact with there the Sith players.