1v1 Sentinel PvP Build?

LordVega

I'm a returning player. I played a 50 Jugg back in the day, full maxed pvp gear, and back when i played the Sent/Mara had a bad reputation for sucking. But Prior to CharCreate i read up on things and now everybody swears by them so I rolled one.

I'm having a hard time with this class in PvP. Maybe its because I dont have enough skills yet (level 16).

1. I only have 1 stun break which is killing me because i break stun, then I get stunned again (i spend alot of time Stunned).

2. A serious lack of CC's. Jugg had choke, push, 2 jumps, slows. again maybe its a lack of skills due to level.

What I do like about this class vs the jugg:

1. I can kill people 1v1, not just 1 or 2 classes but everybody.

So i'm developing my play style with the Sent, I will not give up; I simply just need help from better players. I read all about Smashmonkeys and that was my original intention but as i progress i have to admit its not my play style to just jump in a mosh pit and spam 1 key.

I want to spec for a 1v1 Sentinel Dueler. I like jumping from 1, 2, 3 different players and taking them out in order. I also like to avoid AoE areas that will destroy me. The Smashmonkey build is great but that requires being in a AoE deathpitt. I want to Kill that healer, take out that Sniper, Spank that shadow that's solo guarding that node.

So I need a 1v1 Sentinel PvP Build. Please include a tree with points. Mind you I am leveling only with warzones so that times some time so I'm level 16 now, please show me where my points should be at now, and where they should be at level 55 if you will. Also help me with rotations, Openers, second atk, etc.

Also please give me any other advice that you want, I'm here to learn.

Thanks, I hope this thread gets a lot of feedback.

One more think, Biochem or cybertech? I read CT for more CC's

ty

Sentinel is tuned to PvE in the lower levels. Unfortunately it doesn't transition well into PvP until much later on. You'll basically be fodder till post 26 in the super low bracket. Just suffer through it or go rapid level in PvE until you have at least camo. Run straight up the watchmen tree with 2 points into defensive forms (fury builder when attacked in the middle tree.) Middle tree sucks until high levels. Right tree had the **** nerfed out of it and isn't worth running until pretty close to 55. Edited by JackNader

Sentinel doesn't really get good till the 40's when all their skills come into play and when you reach the capstone abilities at 45.

All 3 specs in pvp are basically 1v1 specs and all of them can do it pretty well, though you need to realize that this game is a team based pvp so 1v1 wont really happen often.

Watchmen is a dot spec. Its basically built as a pressure spec with slows on its dots. It can put up some pretty good numbers but the spec itself is easy to shut down since it lacks tools to breaker roots/slows.

Combat spec is the burst spec through armor penetration. Its all proc based right now but in the next patch the procs are being basically removed. The class speed buff through transcendance is increased to go faster in combat spec and the force camo ability in combat spec allows it to break roots/slows so the spec overall has better mobility.

Focus spec is the aoe spec, though they nerfed it recently so in pvp the aoe buffs only apply to the person you are targeting so its been downgraded to a glorified single target spec with little sustained damage so its pretty much just a lesser version of combat spec atm in pvp. However, with force crush being a very strong slow and zealous leap being a 10m leap that applies a root and a slow and you can use zealous leap when rooted makes the spec incredibly difficult to kite, so in that aspect its still pretty strong.

Sentinel doesn't really get good till the 40's when all their skills come into play and when you reach the capstone abilities at 45.

All 3 specs in pvp are basically 1v1 specs and all of them can do it pretty well, though you need to realize that this game is a team based pvp so 1v1 wont really happen often.

Watchmen is a dot spec. Its basically built as a pressure spec with slows on its dots. It can put up some pretty good numbers but the spec itself is easy to shut down since it lacks tools to breaker roots/slows.

Combat spec is the burst spec through armor penetration. Its all proc based right now but in the next patch the procs are being basically removed. The class speed buff through transcendance is increased to go faster in combat spec and the force camo ability in combat spec allows it to break roots/slows so the spec overall has better mobility.

Focus spec is the aoe spec, though they nerfed it recently so in pvp the aoe buffs only apply to the person you are targeting so its been downgraded to a glorified single target spec with little sustained damage so its pretty much just a lesser version of combat spec atm in pvp. However, with force crush being a very strong slow and zealous leap being a 10m leap that applies a root and a slow and you can use zealous leap when rooted makes the spec incredibly difficult to kite, so in that aspect its still pretty strong.

^This mostly. If you plan on dueling non-melee specs, I'd say to right out forget watchman, it has quite poor mobility compared to combat/focus despite having better dmg output.

I have very mixed feelings about combat when it comes to dueling, despite being my main and favorite spec, it's quite easily shut down, kiting you is nearly impossible though so that's a very important thing, but unless you're very familiar with your class and all other classes you will be dueling, I wouldn't advise it. The dmg output is somewhat easy to shutdown as I said earlier and it's by far the spec that's the most heavily punished by CCs/stuns/Knockbacks.

Smash, despite what people say works well in 1v1. It can apply a crapload of slows, has steady on-demand uninterruptible burst and most of it's damage is yellow. Therefore, it is much better at dealing damage through DCDs. Its sustained output is a big ******, but if you run some crit it works much much MUCH better than full power/surge. Tbh, for a new player I'd definitely suggest Smash as a 1v1 spec.

The mechanics are so easy you can spend your time paying more attention to what buffs ur enemy has and to what debuffs you have, you can be more observant of your surroundings because you don't have to watch for procs as much as with the two other specs (though the amount of procs to watch for is reduced in Carnage with 2.10 and Anni only has 1 proc). As Raansu said, Smash can be a pretty serious pain in the *** to kite, not to mention that Zealous Leap can be used when rooted, which is quite useful when going against sorcs or snipers. If Smash had better single target dmg output, imo it would be amazing at duels, but we're not there yet. :p

I will use this thread to ask some questions myself, as im thinking in rolling a marauder too:

1- Which is the tree that allows you to be inmune to knockbacks after a leap? (being a sage, this ability is a pain in the *** hehe)

2- which tree allows you to cast ravage being inmune to interrupts?

3- I plan to only do pvp, and i know pvping at levels 10-30 is painful, so which spec would be the less painful to do only pvp from beggining?

4- with the marauder, do you have to choose between being hard to kite, or dealing a good chunk of damage?

5- im not good at watching procs, etc so i assume the most noob-friendly tree is rage. Im very used to ranged classes, so which is the most dificult spec to kite as well as doing good damage? i assume rage too, but any advice would be appreciated, as i will work on the class and learn it the best i can. Maybe to start with rage, and switch to carnage or annihilation when im more experienced with the class? Dunno really, please share your thoughts and advices about this. Sorry to the op for "kidnapping" the thread a bit, hehe, and thanks for the possible answers :rolleyes:

I will use this thread to ask some questions myself, as im thinking in rolling a marauder too:

1- Which is the tree that allows you to be inmune to knockbacks after a leap? (being a sage, this ability is a pain in the *** hehe)

2- which tree allows you to cast ravage being inmune to interrupts?

3- I plan to only do pvp, and i know pvping at levels 10-30 is painful, so which spec would be the less painful to do only pvp from beggining?

4- with the marauder, do you have to choose between being hard to kite, or dealing a good chunk of damage?

5- im not good at watching procs, etc so i assume the most noob-friendly tree is rage. Im very used to ranged classes, so which is the most dificult spec to kite as well as doing good damage? i assume rage too, but any advice would be appreciated, as i will work on the class and learn it the best i can. Maybe to start with rage, and switch to carnage or annihilation when im more experienced with the class? Dunno really, please share your thoughts and advices about this. Sorry to the op for "kidnapping" the thread a bit, hehe, and thanks for the possible answers :rolleyes:

1.) Vengeance tree for juggernauts. Marauders do not have access to that talent.

2.) Ravage for both juggernaut and marauder cannot be interrupted using the interrupt ability. Only stuns and knockbacks can interrupt ravage.

3.) Probably rage.

4.) Both carnage and rage can deal with kiting fairly well without giving up damage. Carnage has to sacrifice some of their resources to throw crippling throw for their root but outside of that, no. Only annihilation struggles with dealing with kiters.

5.) Only carnage is proc heavy and this is changing in 2.10 with making the scream proc 100% off any ataru hit, so basically every time you use massacre you will get the proc. Vicious throw still has a 60% proc chance but you can tell pretty easily when that procs. Same with annihilation and its procs. You can tell pretty easily when rupture procs since its just a reset proc. You don't really have to watch your buff bar at all. Rage has no procs, and is probably the easiest spec to play.

1.) Vengeance tree for juggernauts. Marauders do not have access to that talent.

2.) Ravage for both juggernaut and marauder cannot be interrupted using the interrupt ability. Only stuns and knockbacks can interrupt ravage.

3.) Probably rage.

4.) Both carnage and rage can deal with kiting fairly well without giving up damage. Carnage has to sacrifice some of their resources to throw crippling throw for their root but outside of that, no. Only annihilation struggles with dealing with kiters.

5.) Only carnage is proc heavy and this is changing in 2.10 with making the scream proc 100% off any ataru hit, so basically every time you use massacre you will get the proc. Vicious throw still has a 60% proc chance but you can tell pretty easily when that procs. Same with annihilation and its procs. You can tell pretty easily when rupture procs since its just a reset proc. You don't really have to watch your buff bar at all. Rage has no procs, and is probably the easiest spec to play.

Omg the first one was my mistake hehe, i always knockback marauders :) Thanks for all the input, i think ill start trying rage, coz i dont wanna get very dissapointed. I come from doing really well in pvp with my balance sage and dont wanna be let down by the marauder, so ill go rage and try to switch in future when im max level, just to try other specs. thx again for all the info