Sentinel PvP Questions (i'm having a hard time with this). 1v1 build??

LordVega

I'm a returning player. I played a 50 Jugg back in the day, full maxed pvp gear, and back when i played the Sent/Mara had a bad reputation for sucking. But Prior to CharCreate i read up on things and now everybody swears by them so I rolled one.

I'm having a hard time with this class in PvP. Maybe its because I dont have enough skills yet (level 16).

1. I only have 1 stun break which is killing me because i break stun, then I get stunned again (i spend alot of time Stunned).

2. A serious lack of CC's. Jugg had choke, push, 2 jumps, slows. again maybe its a lack of skills due to level.

What I do like about this class vs the jugg:

1. I can kill people 1v1, not just 1 or 2 classes but everybody.

So i'm developing my play style with the Sent, I will not give up; I simply just need help from better players. I read all about Smashmonkeys and that was my original intention but as i progress i have to admit its not my play style to just jump in a mosh pit and spam 1 key.

I want to spec for a 1v1 Sentinel Dueler. I like jumping from 1, 2, 3 different players and taking them out in order. I also like to avoid AoE areas that will destroy me. The Smashmonkey build is great but that requires being in a AoE deathpitt. I want to Kill that healer, take out that Sniper, Spank that shadow that's solo guarding that node.

So I need a 1v1 Sentinel PvP Build. Please include a tree with points. Mind you I am leveling only with warzones so that times some time so I'm level 16 now, please show me where my points should be at now, and where they should be at level 55 if you will. Also help me with rotations, Openers, second atk, etc.

Also please give me any other advice that you want, I'm here to learn.

Thanks, I hope this thread gets a lot of feedback.

One more think, Biochem or cybertech? I read CT for more CC's

ty

Sents starts to shine at the 30-35 level due to skills and abilites. I am no expert but based on experience, all skill tree builds for Sent/Mara can kill 1v1. All depends on playstyle.

The Sweep spec is not spamming 1 key btw. It just relies on efficient use of smash and sweep.

If you are expecting CCs, then sents have Awe and stasis, although statis doesn't really count as it is channeled

Combat sent have roots which allows you to lock down opponents using crippling throw and master strike. Continue with leg slash and you can mow down an opponent.

Watchman deals with dots so you apply and watch em burn. Force leap does not have a minimum distance with watchman so you can leap to any target in range.

My advise is to just don't give up on the first levels and wait till the 30s

Reposted from PvP Forums in case you check here more often.

If you plan on dueling non-melee specs, I'd say to right out forget watchman, it has quite poor mobility compared to combat/focus despite having better dmg output.

I have very mixed feelings about combat when it comes to dueling, despite being my main and favorite spec, it's quite easily shut down, kiting you is nearly impossible though so that's a very important thing, but unless you're very familiar with your class and all other classes you will be dueling, I wouldn't advise it. The dmg output is somewhat easy to shutdown as I said earlier and it's by far the spec that's the most heavily punished by CCs/stuns/Knockbacks.

Smash, despite what people say works well in 1v1. It can apply a crapload of slows, has steady on-demand uninterruptible burst and most of it's damage is yellow. Therefore, it is much better at dealing damage through DCDs. Its sustained output is a big ******, but if you run some crit it works much much MUCH better than full power/surge. Tbh, for a new player I'd definitely suggest Smash as a 1v1 spec.

The mechanics are so easy you can spend your time paying more attention to what buffs ur enemy has and to what debuffs you have, you can be more observant of your surroundings because you don't have to watch for procs as much as with the two other specs (though the amount of procs to watch for is reduced in Carnage with 2.10 and Anni only has 1 proc). As Raansu said, Smash can be a pretty serious pain in the *** to kite, not to mention that Zealous Leap can be used when rooted, which is quite useful when going against sorcs or snipers. If Smash had better single target dmg output, imo it would be amazing at duels, but we're not there yet. :p

As you probably guessed I'd say to go with Smash, besides with the AoE nerf, it's pretty useless to play it as an AoE spec and jump in a group of 5 people nowadays, so you'll most likely stick to a single target.

This is what your build should be at lv 16.

This is what it should be at 55; however, you can put that point from dual wield mastery in Insight if you want, but I prefer a 12% increase on off-hand hits because you'll be using Slash a lot, and I find it better than a 2% additional crit chance on stuff like Blade Storm/Force Exhaustion. I don't know where you got the thing about pressing 1 key after jumping into a mosh pit, but Watchman is not really any harder to play, it's very rotational and not hard at all xD

All specs at low lvl are somewhat meh, but I find that after lv 20 Smash shines more because Zealous Leap helps a lot when it comes to dealing with Knockbacks at early levels, not to mention how Smash gets a big chunk of its dmg output by lv 29. A general tip that applies to most sentinel specs is not to jump in a group of enemies, Smash or not, DON'T DO IT!

Smash itself is pretty obvious you need the autocrit proc after Zealoup Leap/Force Leap and also 3 Singularity stacks to deal the max Smash damage, despite that, don't limit yourself to just setting up Smashes and then spamming Slash and Blade storm to lower the CD of Smash and Zealous Leap. One of the advantages of playing the spec is that your focus generation is awesome, meaning you can use many abilities without running out of focus, that's why don't be afraid to use things like Crippling Throw to put a healing debuff on somebody (you SHOULD be using it, especially when attacking healers) or Cauterize on a stealther with low HP to prevent him from stealthing out immediately. You can also fit Riposte, it's off the Global CD and it's extra damage. At the start your focus generation might not be good enough, but at lv 55 you can easily afford to use it.

Something else I wanted to mention was concerning the "Defensive Forms" talent and the "Valor" talent you pick up from the Watchman and Combat trees. most people pick these up at the end, after they've maxed out the Focus tree. But to be honest I find it much better to pick them up after lv 29, when you should have the auto-crit and should be able to build Singularity stacks. Without these talents it takes 22.5 seconds to build 30 stacks of Centering. But if you're in an active fights (you're dealing damage AND getting attacked) it only takes 7.5 seconds to build these stacks. Once you have 30 stacks that's when you can have the hardest hitting Smashes, so I think you understand why I'd rather get these talents earlier on.

It's true that if you were to disregard them and get Force Exhaustion first, you'd be able to get your 3 stacks of Singularity twice almost just as often though not exactly. However, you'd be missing out on a MUCH better focus generation, after all, using Zen fills your Focus bar, so I think you can see why I'd recommend that.

If you're interested in following that spec then this is what it should look like at lv 33. At lv 55 it looks exactly like the spec I linked above.

Edited by Tevzz

Sentinels don't get hard stuns but they do get Force Stasis and some other ability that reduces a targets melee/ranged accuracy by 90 percent. They also get a 20 percent heal reduction debuff and very fast interrupts, and Force leap is a very good gap closer against any class except Sniper. So they ARE a good 1v1 class, but you just have to wait a bit before you get all the cool abilities.

Just be patient, your Sentinel will be strong. A general rule of thumb to follow: Against melee classes, force leap to them immediately before they use their own gap closer on YOU, against ranged classes, just run up to them usinjg LoS for cover and start hitting them until they use their knockback. When they do knock you back, force leap back to them ASAP and start bashing them again. The reason you do this is that knockbacks usually have slows or roots coupled with them (except for inquisitor/consular knockback...but a smart sorc will slow you immediately after the knockback). So basically THATS when you need the instantaneous gap closer, not when you first walk up to them. You never want to be in a situation where you are slowed/rooted, 10+ meters away from a ranged class, and Force leap is on cooldown.

In arenas, against ranged classes of any kind, always always always LoS and force them to come close to you. They WANT you to force leap to them from 30m range so they can just knock you back (possibly off a high platform!) and keep dpsing you. Don't let them do what they want and LoS all the time. In other game modes, hug pillars and walls. Force your enemies to come to you as much as possible.

Despite being a brawny muscle sort of class that uses Strength as a primary attribute, playing a Sentinel right actually takes a lot of brains.

Edited by FinalArbiter

I run a Hybrid (Watchman/Combat) which provides the best of both world that I want. I use Juyo Stance and somethings I get:

* Overload Saber

* Precision Slash

* Root on Master Strike and Crippling Throw

* No minimum range on Force Leap

* Reduce cool down on Force Leap and Zealous Strike

* 100% chance with Cauterize to reduce the target's movement speed by 50% for the duration

* Force Camouflage has a 100% chance to purge all movement-impairing effects. Additionally increases the movement speed bonus of Transcendence by 30%

Edited by Ramtar

I run a Hybrid (Watchman/Combat) which provides the best of both world that I want. I use Juyo Stance and somethings I get:

* Overload Saber

* Precision Slash

* Root on Master Strike and Crippling Throw

* No minimum range on Force Leap

* Reduce cool down on Force Leap and Zealous Strike

* 100% chance with Cauterize to reduce the target's movement speed by 50% for the duration

* Force Camouflage has a 100% chance to purge all movement-impairing effects. Additionally increases the movement speed bonus of Transcendence by 30%

Wow, the mobility on this hybrid looks absolutely amazing; however, I'm wondering about the damage output. Is it good?