pvp for those who havnt touched pvp until 55

nailbluetoe

hello im trying to get answers on what rout i should take in gearing my sorc for pvp since i virtually havnt touched pvp until recently and got creamed in pvp.... im not familiar with how gear works for pvp and so when i tried to pvp i had my ops gear on... didnt work too well.. so my question is this, since im a synthweaver on my sorc i crafted a green set of gear after reading something about ops gear not being good for pvp is that the right gear to use at this time since i dont have the ability to gear for pvp matches at this point and just slug through it to get the coms needed? pls and shank you for the answers :tran_cool::csw_vader: ok forgot to put this in but pls no snide coments on just getting the lower lvl tier again... not everyone runs dailies all day long just to collect their coms so they can be at max comm capacity. so if ya dont have anything constructive to say regarding this question dont bother replying but thnks for the rplies already :) Edited by nailbluetoe

f you know your gear, try a sticky post in this forum, the Addendum to the How to Become a Contender. It discusses how to adopt your high level PvE gear to the PvP, and which pieces to replace. It could be out of date, so please, confirm.

As a L55 you can buy Obroan right away, so go for it with your comms, don't wait.

As a person who came to the PvP in about the same point (I was playing since L52 or 53), a mix of blue 148s and purple 156 worked the best for me than lower level gear. I started in 112-140, and that was rather hopeless. Folks might say that some of it is better, but I dunno, my behind is getting handed to me relatively less often now, but I am resigned to the fact that it will always be handed back to me anyway.

Fully augmenting absolutely everything helps (if I could augment my panties, I would augment panties). Try grabbing red nodes. Try identifying a core group if you are lucky to pug with a core premade, and stay in its wake. Use wz medpacks and adrenals.

But, bolster or no bolster, prepare to get gigantic damages and render no more than a scratch at a time to a geared player. Try to go against the opponents that are geared to your level rather than waste time on a full Brute who just pumped a few adrenals in. You will quickly learn to pick those out, lol!

Always bail out of 4x4's. In all likelihood you will be a pug against a premade, so its a waste of your time.

Oh, once someone comes in, and say I am a noob, and don't listen to me, listen to them.

Edited by DomiSotto

the reason i asked is because i dont have any low lvl gear leftover from when i was gearing for ops the ops gear i have is all 168s or above... and i read in that article i mentioned earlier that anything above 172s if im understanding correctly loses expertise from bolster... so im wondering if wearing the lower lvl gear would be better than just going into pvp with my raid gear until i can get proper pvp gear... all my resources are tied up at the moment trying to help my guild get the guildship as fast as possible.:sy_starship:

the reason i asked is because i dont have any low lvl gear leftover from when i was gearing for ops the ops gear i have is all 168s or above... and i read in that article i mentioned earlier that anything above 172s if im understanding correctly loses expertise from bolster... so im wondering if wearing the lower lvl gear would be better than just going into pvp with my raid gear until i can get proper pvp gear... all my resources are tied up at the moment trying to help my guild get the guildship as fast as possible.:sy_starship:

The quests at Oricon give 156 gear which is legit for entry pvp. Get the relics and crafted ear-implants.

i did start before i hit 55 however this was way before the hutt cartel expansion came out and at that time i kept getting huttball all the time.... i hate huttball so i never really got into pvp but i figured since they are doing pvp seasons now id start to gear for them and ive already completed most all the endgame story on my sorc at this point... the only thing left story wise for me on oricon is finishing dread palace on my sorc for the reward.

Most important thing for pvp is to get a set of legacy gear.

As a pver and a synthweaver you should have access to 156 purple augments. Augment your new pvp legacy gear. Slot those 156 gear mods from your oricon storyline and you have a starter pvp set. Then use your wz comms to get the obroan power and main stat proc relics. Then work towards getting your ear and implants.

Never down convert your ranked wz comms. When you have enough swap the obroan relics for the brutilizer ones and again augment these with 156 purple augments. By now you should be able tp but your first set piece of Obroan gear. Pick the best set bonus for you class there's plenty of advice. Then start swapping those mods into your augmented pvp gear.

Getting full augments is key in pvp as bolster doesnt seem to take them into account so you'll get full benefit. Also leave your pvp weapons till last as their hilt/barrel are bolstered to max.

Its even easier if you have multiple alts with the same main stat as you can use them to get different gear parts. Work on your head, body, gloves republic side and legs, boots, belt, boots empire for example.

Always save your gear shells to swap for the higher gear.

Edited by Tellenn

Remember that bolster is a cruel mistress and that if you have any pre-55 expertise mods, you need to ditch them immediately. Don't mix PVP and PVE mods on a single piece of equipment. Gear is nice (for the relics and armour abilities), but in unranked, it's not that big of a deal.

Worry more about getting experience in actually winning each warzone type. A clueless player in full brutalizer+augments is worthless when compared to an experienced player in rakata mods who knows the appropriate strategies for each war zones and will support the team in capturing/holding objectives. The biggest difference between warzones and operations is that being overgeared for WZs isn't going to allow other players to carry you. You need to be able to play intelligently to be a positive contributor.

No one gets creamed because of gear alone. Granted that you can improve your situation through gear but it's not a game breaker in normal warzones. Perhaps you should start pre-55 instead, that's something a lot of people should take to heart.

I do also recommend a low level character (and I am trying one on L13). However, I did start near 55, and had a great experience so far.Actually far better one than in the lowest bracket, because I play against and with people who know what they are doing and there is communication and strategy involved. It is more of a hit and miss in the lowest lowbies.

You can get creamed in inferior in regs on L55. With 3 pieces of Obroan and 148-156's, I have geared people were doing 8000+ damage against my character which made my life-span laughable. Granted, this distribution is neither here nor there, and there was no team-work, we were all picked off one-on-ones and all the other problems of a highly uneven match - so nom it is not solely gear, but it does make a difference.

To OP: I was thinking, a lot of people would have a pile of Classic Comms and nothing to get for it. If you don't want Oricon (or have already gotten rid of it) maybe you have enough Classic for the 148 set?

Edited by DomiSotto

as i said earlier i dont run dailies all the time, and when i was originally gearing my char i made several mistakes in how to eficiently gear him. im the type that doesnt get bored farming mobs for credits and loot.... so i guess you could say sometimes i just goof around because i feel like it :p plus i have also been trying to find full sets of inheritance gear for my lowbie chars so i dont have to worry about gear at certain points when itd be a pain to try to gear.

hello im trying to get answers on what rout i should take in gearing my sorc for pvp since i virtually havnt touched pvp until recently and got creamed in pvp.... im not familiar with how gear works for pvp and so when i tried to pvp i had my ops gear on... didnt work too well.. so my question is this, since im a synthweaver on my sorc i crafted a green set of gear after reading something about ops gear not being good for pvp is that the right gear to use at this time since i dont have the ability to gear for pvp matches at this point and just slug through it to get the coms needed? pls and shank you for the answers :tran_cool::csw_vader: ok forgot to put this in but pls no snide coments on just getting the lower lvl tier again... not everyone runs dailies all day long just to collect their coms so they can be at max comm capacity. so if ya dont have anything constructive to say regarding this question dont bother replying but thnks for the rplies already :)

Man, starting with lvl 55 sorc is tough. In any case, regardless of your class/spec, a couple of things you need to know (and are extremely unclear):

1- Biggest gear delta is augments There is no bolster for augments. If you do not have them the value is zero. This is 448 main stats and 280 endurance with purple augments. So, make sure your gear is fully augmented, at least in blues, if you can't afford purples. Both augmentation kits and augments sell on GTN, so you do need any PvP effort or experience to get them.

2- As above, second biggest factor is stims. Again it is 169 main stats and 69 power that you get zero value if you do not have. As above it sells on GTN (and is pretty cheap, 6-8K for 2 hours).

3- The most important pieces of PvP gear are relics. Make these your number 1 priority. Also, unless you have PvE ones DF (180 quality) or better, PvP ones are BiS in PvE as well.

If you have the above, you are withing 10% range of BiS PvP gear regardless of what ever else gear you have equipped (aint that funny). From here you need to determine which spec are you to buy what PvP gear you need. Just focus on getting Obroan gear and mini/max it. Do not use default silly mods/enhancements (AX, alacrity, etc..) saving your comms for Brutlizier. Obroan X mods > Brutalizer AX (BX or we) mods.

For sorc, I will highly advice against playing lightning in WZs, so either corruption or madness. Make sure to do some research on what exact builds to use, as PvE builds careless about survivability and you go all in on damage. It is not the same for PvP.

Also, make sure your camera max zoom is 100% (it is 20% by default) and strafing left and right are bound top A and D keyboard buttons. Also, do not back padle. You move much slower when you do so. Some people go as dramtic as unbinding S button to stop that.

Actually it's anything over 162

Ready this thread... Go to the end though and work your way back... It's a bit out of date at the beginning

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=707204

Edited by Icykill_