Scammed on the GTN

xxZiriusxx

You cannot justify a ban based on the information we were provided here.

I didn't say that the seller should be banned just for what we've heard here. What I think is that there is a legitimate problem, and that BW should take some action. I'd rather not see BW have to decide issues on a case-by-case basis, but rather to provide us with better tools to take care of the problem.

1) Format the price listing consistently.

2) Allow us to ignore an unlimited amount of sellers.

3) Allow us to share (or use) a master ignore list.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a scam and it's very sad to see people here reaching for excuses to call it a scam.

And no, it wasn't me, I'm not a crafter nor do I work the GTN. I's strictly a consumer and a credit pinching bargain shopper at that. Sort price fields from lowest to highest > profit. /discussion.

I'm not saying it was you, but I don't believe that you aren't a scammer defending your own. Unless you are just that bad of a reader and missed the parts of the discussion where it was mentioned that the scam is taking advantage of defects in the GTN interface that can make the scam price look like the lowest price.

Submit an in-game ticket. Bioware has the ability to police this, but like any crime, it needs to be reported. You may just be screwed, but it's worth opening a support ticket asking for a refund. Players who try to capitalize on new player mistakes, need to be dealt with.

It's not a scam and it's very sad to see people here reaching for excuses to call it a scam.

And no, it wasn't me, I'm not a crafter nor do I work the GTN. I's strictly a consumer and a credit pinching bargain shopper at that. Sort price fields from lowest to highest > profit. /discussion.

I would argue that it IS a scam when it takes advantage of poor game mechanics. The GTN price sorting is ridiculous.

I would argue that it IS a scam when it takes advantage of poor game mechanics. The GTN price sorting is ridiculous.

what game mechanics?

if people don't take the time to help themselves, don't expect anyone else to help either. If it was a bait and switch or something like where the buyer had no opportunity or prior knowledge of the action sure. But in this case listing price is clear as day. There are two prices that are easily checked and rechecked. There is an arrow that shows which way the prices are. If you automatically hit up and then just blindly click the button probably deserve it.

If you have "lag" or "random blackouts" or "multiple personalities" then perhaps taking even a bit more caution might help as well.

It comes down to personal responsibility. The only person who can prevent you from doing stupid things is you. The rest of us will just sit back and laugh.

The previous two pages of posting have convinced me that indeed the world is full of fools. Who oblivious to reality and there own nature will blame everyone. Claim anything and construct the most elaborate schemes to explain why they are not fools, why they are oppressed and why someone else has done something to them.

In this case we appear to have a devious group of players who through the use of random numbers placed in such a way can tempt honest folk to pay many times more than they should on the GTM. No matter that the cost of any item is clearly shown on every listing and that it is very possible to organise from low priced to high. It appears that many scams are happening right now to tempt players through the cunning placement of 95's and 99's. I shiver to think the reaction to the obvious devilment and confusion when people end listings with 45 or 55.

So in reflection I look forward to more statements of fact that are simply personal opinions strongly felt. I look forward to the obvious conclusion that this is all a Communist Muslim Russian Chinese Jihadist Lesbian plot to deprive hardworking American men of money and time. To collapse the western economy by forcing players to complete more flashpoints, damaging inter family relationships, the prospect of future generations and the ecology.

Submit an in-game ticket. Bioware has the ability to police this, but like any crime, it needs to be reported. You may just be screwed, but it's worth opening a support ticket asking for a refund. Players who try to capitalize on new player mistakes, need to be dealt with.

Crime? R u srs brah?

There is no crime here, if a shop is charging 1000 bucks for a TV and I buy it then later find out it was on sale at another shop for 300 I have no legal recourse to have the first shop prosecuted for fraud.

The lister stuck deliberately overpriced items on the GTN to catch out the impatient/moronic, it's a dick move for sure but there is no deception involved whatsoever, as the price (both total and per unit) are clearly listed.

The OP got exactly what he paid for at a price he agreed to and learned a valuable lesson in due diligence at the same time, raising tickets for such petty ******** is the reason it takes three days to get a CS answer on actual issues.

what game mechanics?

if people don't take the time to help themselves, don't expect anyone else to help either. If it was a bait and switch or something like where the buyer had no opportunity or prior knowledge of the action sure. But in this case listing price is clear as day. There are two prices that are easily checked and rechecked. There is an arrow that shows which way the prices are. If you automatically hit up and then just blindly click the button probably deserve it.

If you have "lag" or "random blackouts" or "multiple personalities" then perhaps taking even a bit more caution might help as well.

It comes down to personal responsibility. The only person who can prevent you from doing stupid things is you. The rest of us will just sit back and laugh.

I am very adept at doing stupid things, luckily none of them have resulted in pregnancy.

I think that he convinced many people here lends more to the fact that there are more people who want to blame others for their own stupidity nowadays rather than people who will take ownership and say, "man I was really silly I made a bad mistake".

all that illustrates is simply another degree of self important selfishness.

The OP admitted he made a mistake, no ones claiming he has no fault in this.

These are 2 different discussions. Is the OP ultimately at fault for not paying close enough attention, yes. Is the seller being dishonest by intentionally listing items that look like they are priced at the low end and thus scamming people who don't pay close enough attention, yes.

Unless you think the seller actually believes that's a fair price it's a scam.

These are 2 different discussions. Is the OP ultimately at fault for not paying close enough attention, yes. Is the seller being dishonest by intentionally listing items that look like they are priced at the low end and thus scamming people who don't pay close enough attention, yes.

It's not a scam.

The person who posts something at 1000x market value isn't being dishonest. He may be hoping and praying for an idiot to come along and presses a button they shouldn't, but they are saying, "Here's what's for sale, here's how much I want for it." and has no ability to force anyone to click it.

There's no crime, no scam... just people preying on human stupidity to make a few quick credits.

It's only a scam if the extra numbers were hidden. I'm not sure how one would do that. There is a big difference between 333 and 333,000, a rather noticeable difference.

Crime? R u srs brah?

There is no crime here, if a shop is charging 1000 bucks for a TV and I buy it then later find out it was on sale at another shop for 300 I have no legal recourse to have the first shop prosecuted for fraud.

The lister stuck deliberately overpriced items on the GTN to catch out the impatient/moronic, it's a dick move for sure but there is no deception involved whatsoever, as the price (both total and per unit) are clearly listed.

The OP got exactly what he paid for at a price he agreed to and learned a valuable lesson in due diligence at the same time, raising tickets for such petty ******** is the reason it takes three days to get a CS answer on actual issues.

meh, beyond the effort of getting them off the stack. I'm sure they have a "wall of stupid/shame" where they post this stuff. Water cooler talk of "...you think THAT Was dumb. I had one ticket...."

This is up there with the price per unit instead of total price..because people just don't take 3 seconds to look at

1) price 2) # units 3) unit price 4) which way the arrow is pointing

if you can't do 1, 2, 3 AND 4 at the same time, the problem ISN'T the game. Its YOU!

It comes down to personal responsibility. The only person who can prevent you from doing stupid things is you.

No, it comes down to this is a VIDEO GAME that depends on customers. Bioware needs to protect players from scammers or it impacts their business.

It is not possible to price things so they look like they are at the low end in an every changing and variable market. That only works against a fixed minimum price and as should be known by now prices change all the time in the market. It should be particularly clear when the price per item is clearly shown on screen. I can understand people buying to many of something. To hit buy on twenty of something when they wanted one. I can even understand paying to much by clicking in error. I can't understand blaming anyone else though unless it eases the pain of being a complete idiot.

Unless you are just that bad of a reader and missed the parts of the discussion where it was mentioned that the scam is taking advantage of defects in the GTN interface that can make the scam price look like the lowest price.

I've read it just fine and I'm completely unaware of any broken mechanics in the search function on the GTN. What I am reading is a bunch of users not paying attention to what they're doing then blaming sellers for "taking advantage of over tired users" some nonsense about the Euro and the difference between a decimal and a comma. LOL wut?

Let's take this real slow, 300k x 5 will have a net total of 1,500,000 just to the left of the unit price. It couldn't be any clearer. That should have been the cue that it isn't, in fact, 300 credits per unit.

Always look at the total number of units, the individual unit prices and the total for the stack. If you pay attention to all three of those you'll never ever make this mistake.

Crime? R u srs brah?

I wasn't suggesting that this was a "crime", I used crime as my example of needing to report something. Poor word choice obviously, but my intent was to say it needs to be reported before any action happens.

Crime? R u srs brah?

That's a very poor analogy. That would be fitting if the OP bought something for 300k then checked back 30 minutes later & found the same thing selling for 200k. That is not a scam. However intentionally listing something worth 300 for 300k hoping to catch someone off guard is.

A better alanogly would be you go in to buy a TV you see a price tag that says $1,000. You take the TV to the register & hand him your credit card. They swipe it & hand you the receipt when you notice it was run for $2,000. When you ask why they say "that price was in Canadian dollars, your fault for not asking, no refunds".

The price was listed the way it was to intentionally make someone think it's 333.456 not 333,456. That's a scam, doesn't mean the OP isn't a fault, but it's still a scam. It's an attempt to trick people to buy something at a higher price than they thought.

I've read it just fine and I'm completely unaware of any broken mechanics in the search function on the GTN. What I am reading is a bunch of users not paying attention to what they're doing then blaming sellers for "taking advantage of over tired users" some nonsense about the Euro and the difference between a decimal and a comma. LOL wut?

Let's take this real slow, 300k x 5 will have a net total of 1,500,000 just to the left of the unit price. It couldn't be any clearer. That should have been the cue that it isn't, in fact, 300 credits per unit.

Always look at the total number of units, the individual unit prices and the total for the stack. If you pay attention to all three of those you'll never ever make this mistake.

No one said it can't be avoided. OP owned up to that, why do you not get this?

That doesn't mean that the people listing it aren't "trying to take advantage of over tired users".

No, it comes down to this is a VIDEO GAME that depends on customers. Bioware needs to protect players from scammers or it impacts their business.

I have to applaud your powers of deduction and reason. I am sure that tin foil hat looks great on you in your (command post) bunker.

New player here. I was just wondering if there's any resolution to this situation. I've been playing a few weeks to make creds to buy some unlock for when I go back to preferred after my month sub. I misread a listing of 5 turabium for 333k, instead of 333 credits and , well, i bought 5 for 1.9M. I understand the fault is mine and that was the intent of the scam, but am totally destroyed that my work for the last 3 weeks is gone in seconds. Is there a way to reverse this or any solution?

Thanks for any advice.

There should be an option for a togglable confirm button for large transactions on the gtn.

I wasn't suggesting that this was a "crime", I used crime as my example of needing to report something. Poor word choice obviously, but my intent was to say it needs to be reported before any action happens.

But what action is supposed to be taken by Bioware exactly?

Again, the unit price is there, as well as the total number of units, plus the total price. As I said earlier, the OP got what he purchased, NOT what he anticipated and the misinterpretation falls to him.

The seller did not hide anything at all, nor did he claim to sell or supply something to the buyer - in this case the OP - that wasn't there.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

That's a very poor analogy. That would be fitting if the OP bought something for 300k then checked back 30 minutes later & found the same thing selling for 200k. That is not a scam. However intentionally listing something worth 300 for 300k hoping to catch someone off guard is.

A better alanogly would be you go in to buy a TV you see a price tag that says $1,000. You take the TV to the register & hand him your credit card. They swipe it & hand you the receipt when you notice it was run for $2,000. When you ask why they say "that price was in Canadian dollars, your fault for not asking, no refunds".

The price was listed the way it was to intentionally make someone think it's 333.456 not 333,456. That's a scam, doesn't mean the OP isn't a fault, but it's still a scam. It's an attempt to trick people to buy something at a higher price than they thought.

Your analogy is flawed as well. In your analogy, the person would have to look at the price tag saying $10000 instead of $1000, go up to the register, have the cashier give them the total of $10k, swipe their debit card, and then when they finally leave the store and look at their receipt go, "Wait! There's an extra 0 on there! I've been scammed!"