Auction House Interface was intentionally made to be User-Unfriendly

ChromeLight

For those of you who have studied software engineering or GUI design

You should have realized by now the design was intentional to reduce user-traffic and server load.

For the rest of you who aren't into Computer Jargon

By making the Auction House harder to use/click, less users will bother to use it and the server won't go down as frequent.

In conclusion, the server infrastructure/equipment/hardware is operated on a budget.

PS: Not every computer game company is as rich as the Big B (or Big A)

Edited by ChromeLight

While I doubt it was done intentionally, the Galactic Trade Network interface could use some improvements.

-Further sorting capabilities (i.e. when searching for armor pieces, let us specify the slot we are looking for)

-The ability to type in the name of the item we are searching for and bypass sorting altogether

-The "usable by" sort list should include classes in case you are searching for something for an alt

I am sure others could add things to this list.

You sir, are an idiot...

There are two options: the design is intentional or the designers are incompetent.

If the design is intentional, then it is useful to theorize about the intent behind the design. If the designers are incompetent, then the company should correct the mistakes made by their incompetent employees.

Which is your preference?

Coloquial term is "Programmer Art" and is what happens when you let programmers design an interface. It looks more like the code underneath, and the data strategy they employ rather than something that is actually usable.

I'm sure that those developing it know the system so well that they don't see how other's can't easily use it as well.

Bad move on BW part not having someone in charge of that piece (or hiring the person who did).

It's obvious the system works this way so TOR does not have to do any complicated queries on server. You ask for list based on 2 criteria ... server has all precached and does simple dump to response. After you get the list you can filter through it further. Edited by Repefe

Agreed, it definitely needs improvement. I read that in one of the early builds the GTN did in fact have a generic search function, but it was scrapped later on when it was causing programming issues.

My best guess is they were rushed for time pre-launch and put this one on the back burner for a later patch.

I think its important for people to remember that BioWare is not an MMO company. This is their First MMO, and to top it off they've basically made this entire game with the belief that we all just wanted a super RPG. So give them some time to understand what MMO players actually want versus the Standard RPG player and I'm sure they will address this in future patches.

I think its important for people to remember that BioWare is not an MMO company. This is their First MMO, and to top it off they've basically made this entire game with the belief that we all just wanted a super RPG. So give them some time to understand what MMO players actually want versus the Standard RPG player and I'm sure they will address this in future patches.

They might not be an MMO company but they stepped up to the plate and put out a product to compete and/or take over top spot. They should have had the foresight to see the problems with BASIC game functions like this. There is no way that someone in the process of designing this market interface failed to notice how unfriendly it was and still is. This points to incompetence, lack of QA or both. Unfortunately, this isn't the only problem like this. I really hope they turn this around with the first patch.

For those of you who have studied software engineering or GUI design

You should have realized by now the design was intentional to reduce user-traffic and server load.

LOL yeah because nowadays, over a 100 billion players are playing on the same server at the same time, making this type of activity a hard nut to crack for server stability.

:rolleyes:

There are two options: the design is intentional or the designers are incompetent.

Or they simply disagree with you and isn't prioritizing these petty issues ATM when the most important thing to prioritize is debugging and getting the servers up and running. I, for one, have absolutely NO PROBLEM whatsoever with the search function in the GTN.

This is an MMO, not a one-tracked singleplayer experience with zero replayability.

Edited by Zoroth