How well will Swtor perform on my new PC?

xg_phoenixflash

So I've started to invest some money into a gaming PC, since I currently playing SWTOR on my Samsung Notebook which handles the game at low settings at about 25 to 30 FPS. But I want to play the game at High/Ultra as well as other games too, I've listed every I would like in my custom built PC but I just want to know if the Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2GB will handle the game at High or Ultra?

These are the specs that the PC has:

Processor:

4th generation Intel G3240 @ 3.1 GHz x 2 cores

Motherboard:

Asus H81M Motherboard

RAM:

8GB Corsair Vengeance (1x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Graphics card:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

Hard drive:

1TB sata III 7200RPM hard drive

Thank you for your help.

I wouldn't expect that rig to run much more than medium settings at best.

The 750 Ti is only an entry level gaming GPU. The G3240 cpu you have listed there sometimes bottlenecks even the 750 series of video cards.

While you don't need high end gaming components for this game, it does need a powerful cpu, and that G3240 is really going to struggle.

The game should be easily playable at pretty high settings.

Unless I missed something major, there is no "Ultra" setting in SWTOR. Instead, there are a collection of high quality settings that you can fiddle with. Things like texture atlassing and shadow details can set higher and lower to adjust for personal tastes and performance. For higher quality, you need to dive into GPU profiles to enable things like transparency AA and higher modes of AA and AF.

I expect the 750 Ti to be good enough to use High detail models with texture atlassing, some level of anti-aliasing and at least Low shadows with a decent framerate.

The 750 Ti is only an entry level gaming GPU. The G3240 cpu you have listed there sometimes bottlenecks even the 750 series of video cards.

It's an entry-level card for 2014. The game was designed to target 2012 technology. My wife plays with a 660M at High detail with AA on a 1080p screen. The 750 Ti is notably better than the 660M.

While you don't need high end gaming components for this game, it does need a powerful cpu, and that G3240 is really going to struggle.

I'll admit the G3240 is weaker than I expected (it's got a much smaller cache, too). However, the performance still seems on par with the notebook i7's from the Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge generations. The G3240 isn't going to struggle like the AMD CPUs in use at release, but its not going to be speedy either. Expect to get some noticeable framerate drops on busy fleets, Alderaan, possibly Voss, Operations, and Warzones. Disabling shadows will help.

I saw at least 3 reviews of the G3240 that specifically stated it causes bottlenecks on a 750 series nvidia gpu.

And a 3240 doesn't hold a candle to a good Sandy Bridge. A 2500k or 2600k Sandy Bridge will compute circles around the 3240. Any Sandy Bridge with HyperThreading would be a better choice performance wise.

The only advantages the 3240 has over the 2500k or 2600k are energy efficiency and the Haswell architecture. The 3240 only uses 53w of power while the 2600k comes in at 95w. The Haswell architecture gives roughly a 10-11% increase in processing speed over a Sandy Bridge core clocked at the same frequency. However, a quad-core Sandy Bridge with Hyperthreading will have 4 physical cores and up to 8 processing threads while the 3240 has only 2 cores and 2 processing threads.

While SWTOR mainly only uses a single core, there are still background processes that Windows will be running, and the game does make some use of multiple cores, it just leans heavily on a single core and off-loads some task to other cores.

That 3240 will definitely struggle with the game in my opinion.

Consider using an SSD for your boot drive to hold the OS and games. It will help cut down on load times.

I have a raid array with 2 840 pro SSDs and let me tell you : Tatooine, Alderaan, still take a week to load. WS on the other hand, loads instantly. So, SWTOR is amongst the few games where an SSD investment gives minimum benefit.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

I have a raid array with 2 840 pro SSDs and let me tell you : Tatooine, Alderaan, still take a week to load. WS on the other hand, loads instantly. So, SWTOR is amongst the few games where an SSD investment gives minimum benefit.

Same! I have a beast of a rig and lag and load times still show up. Sli'd Titans Raid 0 830 pro 512s and a 3930K clocked at 4.7

IT really tho doesnt take much to be able to max most settings save for the shadows and play really good. But your never going to get near instant load times or anything like that.

I wouldn't expect that rig to run much more than medium settings at best.

I agree with this. You'd be much better off with the GTX 760 as it's 10 times better and as cpu I'd go for at least an i5 or i7.

I saw at least 3 reviews of the G3240 that specifically stated it causes bottlenecks on a 750 series nvidia gpu.

Agreed, and I amended my comments to say that the 3240 was weaker than I expected and would likely be the bottleneck in the OPs system.

And a 3240 doesn't hold a candle to a good Sandy Bridge. A 2500k or 2600k Sandy Bridge will compute circles around the 3240.

It's no match for a desktop Sandy Bridge. I was talking about mobile Sandy Bridge chips. The mobile versions are much less powerful. The combo of i7-2760qm and GTX 660M was pretty popular in laptops and there are quite a few people playing SWTOR on those chips with perfectly acceptable performance. The 750 Ti is a better GPU than the 660M, and the G3240 is on-par with the 2760qm, with slightly better single-core performance, but a smaller cache and only two cores, meaning some CPU load will be stolen by system processes.

Any Sandy Bridge with HyperThreading would be a better choice performance wise.

While it might look that way in theory, there is very little benefit to hyperthreading with SWTOR. Sure, there are extra background processes, but hyperthreading is rarely beneficial for them, too. The end benefit is small enough to be lost in statistical variance.