Pretty sure I'm doing it wrong...

starwarsbetatest

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to realize that there really is a right way and many, many wrong ways to play this game if your goal is to stay current with endgame content and enjoy it. I'm playing a marauder and just got my ship mid-16, and everything's been fine in terms of leveling, but after reading the forums I'm starting to think I'm not doing the things I need to do now to make sure I'll be able to get good mounts and high-lvl gear when I'll need them. I'm picking pretty much 100% dark side options, doing all the flashpoints and heroic quests I come across, etc. but I haven't really started working on any crew skills. I'm somewhat of an MMO noob, so any tips or guidelines would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for a walkthrough, just maybe some commonly agreed upon standards or goals for my class, things I should expect to have done by certain levels, etc.

tl;dr Doing fine leveling but not sure if I'm neglecting other crucial aspects of the game required to enjoy endgame content... any tips?

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to realize that there really is a right way and many, many wrong ways to play this game if your goal is to stay current with endgame content and enjoy it. I'm playing a marauder and just got my ship mid-16, and everything's been fine in terms of leveling, but after reading the forums I'm starting to think I'm not doing the things I need to do now to make sure I'll be able to get good mounts and high-lvl gear when I'll need them. I'm picking pretty much 100% dark side options, doing all the flashpoints and heroic quests I come across, etc. but I haven't really started working on any crew skills. I'm somewhat of an MMO noob, so any tips or guidelines would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for a walkthrough, just maybe some commonly agreed upon standards or goals for my class, things I should expect to have done by certain levels, etc.

tl;dr Doing fine leveling but not sure if I'm neglecting other crucial aspects of the game required to enjoy endgame content... any tips?

when u get that robot for ur ship send him out on slicing missions and keep doing that when u get 3 companions. Slice ur way to 400 and roll in dough friend.

Hit "N" and send your companions (you can send the on-ship droid too) out doing your mission quests any time you don't need them. If you can, you should constantly have the droid doing something (since you're probably not using him for questing.)

I would say, however, that at this point not keeping up with your crew skills isn't hurting you when it comes to being able to buy mounts and the like later on. If anything, most of your crew skills are money-sinks that will actually cost you more than they make you.

Once you get into the third-tier world, you'll notice the money you make questing starts to skyrocket compared to what it was earlier. As long as you don't foolishly spend your money you should have plenty to buy a mount. *Hint* you will want to have about 65K credits when you hit 25, not only to buy riding skill and mount, but also to train your skills (it gets a lot more expensive.)

Edited by Mannic

Just level up to 50, then worry about the rest

The Darkside/LS options don't matter, they're just flavor text

It's actually faster to level up Professions once you can deploy a few pets at once (it's like 5 at max), so don't worry about doing that while you level

I would disagree. I send my two droids to do missions whilst my human companion and I level.

I figure that the droids are better, deployed doing something useful in the background, rather than sitting idol.

Would focus some on crafting, thats for sure. Generally speaking player crafted materials should be better than most loots, except the large raids etc. Now thats not always the case, but theres plenty of decent things to craft.

The other thing, one I tend to look forward to, is working on acquiring the various datacrons and relics scattered across the planets in the galaxy. This can help by giving small stat boosts, or if you acquire shards and combine them you can get larger datacron relic stat boosts.

Those are probably the two things I would most focus on, but thats just my opinion.

dont listen to these guys about LS/ DS points. Alot of weapons need Light or dark side, neutrality gets you nowhere.

This...you would figure the level 50 would know this....However blowing through all the content in 3 days will do that to you.

Credits: credits come in massive amounts around 20-25, in fact at 20 i decided to save my credits and i had way more then i needed to get my mount. Slicing can help but HONESTLY not needed just remember to pick up vender trash it adds up... do all quests you come accross and bonuses as they all award cash.

Crew Skills: really arent needed almost all stuff get from crafts can be purchased on AH, and beyond that gear is hardly an issue...every planet awards commendations... which can be used to buy modable gear, mods, blue gear ect.

not a real issue just don't go blowing cash sending crew out on missions to skill up crew skills constantly and should have 40k at lvl 25 easy and if not get it shortly after.

Credits: credits come in massive amounts around 20-25, in fact at 20 i decided to save my credits and i had way more then i needed to get my mount. Slicing can help but HONESTLY not needed just remember to pick up vender trash it adds up... do all quests you come accross and bonuses as they all award cash.

Crew Skills: really arent needed almost all stuff get from crafts can be purchased on AH, and beyond that gear is hardly an issue...every planet awards commendations... which can be used to buy modable gear, mods, blue gear ect.

not a real issue just don't go blowing cash sending crew out on missions to skill up crew skills constantly and should have 40k at lvl 25 easy and if not get it shortly after.

I actually levelled scavenging and Underworld trading quite high on my IA and a lot of that was with missions, which were quite costly.

And I still had no trouble affording riding skill when the time came.

Another good way to make credits, OP, is to keep up with your space combat daillies. They award a surprising amount of creds if you do them all.

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies! I think I'll just stick to what I'm doing, and worry about the crew skills / crafting more when I don't have as much to do. Also, good to know the DS/LS thing actually matters... as soon as I saw that there was an option, I had a feeling there's got to be some sort of perks associated with being 100% aligned either way.