Broken Talent system punishes team players.

Nausgaming

6 months of playing nothing but SW/JK's in beta and playing one now. the difference through every build was no greater than 5% dps gain/lose between DPS AC's and Tank/DPS AC's

Where are you getting the 5% number from? To my knowledge, this game doesn't (yet) have a combat log or meters and I don't know how else you'd be able to tell that.

As to the rest of this debate, I say this:

1. Does the Marauder provide any useful buffs or debuffs that other classes don't? If they do, they will get into raids based upon that alone.

2. Good DPS is good DPS. As a raid leader, I don't care if you're a Juggernaut or a Marauder DPS as long as you know what you're doing. The only reason I may refuse you as one or the other is because 1) I have too many in the raid already, 2) I don't want to have too many people rolling on the same gear, or 3) I have too many melee DPS and I need some more ranged.

My advice is this- Pick the class role/class you want to play. Learn to play it well. I promise you're not going to be gimped or left out because you can only DPS (or only want to DPS). As long as you DPS WELL, you'll likely be welcome wherever you go regardless of the class you choose. Will you have a slightly easier time getting into raids if you're also able to tank? Sure. That versatility will get you a raid spot as a tank when all the melee DPS spots are full. But then you'll be tanking, and rolling on tank gear, instead of doing what you want to do. And you'll also be spending a significant amount of time learning to tank and gearing up for that role.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you getting the 5% number from? To my knowledge, this game doesn't (yet) have a combat log or meters and I don't know how else you'd be able to tell that.

THere was a dam meter in Beta for a time.

You don't need a dam meter or parser to figure it out... just takes more patience and time to get the same results. as long as you can see what each ability does in dam be in a combat log or *hint* on screen or in a floating combat text*hint* you can figure it out.

Yet I don't see how the Sent/Mara buffs, which are relatively strong or helpful, outperform the option of having a DPS that can do similar DPS, while being able to Tank when the opportunity, or need, arises.

Well you have to remember too, that Guardians on raids are most likely going to be geared and specced for one or the other. And as I said previously, Sentinels should ALWAYS be doing significantly more damage than a Guardian when it comes to PvE. Their forms and cool downs make sure of that.

Simply put: Guardians will never do more damage than Sentinels, and Sentinels will never tank better than Guardians. Sentinels will always be the better choice for filling in a DPS slot, regardless of the fact that a Guardian could off tank at times (which would still require a gear change and the fact that they would have issues with threat management being built for offense).

Bringing a Guardian for DPS is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Will it work? Sure. Would it have been better to bring a gun (Sentinel) instead? Definitely.

Folks are saying tanks can tank and DPS, and that's not true. If you roll a Jugg, and spec for DPS, you can't tank worth a crap. A Jugg is not capable of fulfilling both roles simultaneously.

What the choice comes down to, then, is aesthetic (1 saber or two) and smaller details like the Marauder gaining a 15% damage buff for the party (or is it raid) and the ability to stealth briefly, vs the Jugg being able to have things like a powerful Force Choke and Backhand (I don't really know Jugg skills, sorry).

Aesthetic and utility becomes the question, not flatly DPS, since the Jugg can become DPS by sacrificing it's ability to tank and vice-versa. While the Marauder doesn't get that choice, it does get a broader choice in the utilities it brings in addition to it's DPS.

Personally, I don't think there should've been any pure damage classes, and that each class should've had to make this kind of choice. But I don't think they're system is broken (yet, anyways); I just think it can give people who pick certain classes less interesting choices.