Need Merc PvP tips / specs / strats

iWopo

I'm currently playing Arsenal Merc and I enjoy to PvP, but I get absolutely face rolled whenever I attempt to try to get off any type of rotation. It seems like 9/10 Arsenal abilities require you to root yourself in one place, allowing other players to run circles around you. Its Pyro a better build for pvp?

I just need tips in general, especially when dealing with Melee

I use Arsenal and have no issues at all in PvP. Get "bad games" to the tune of 200k damage and maybe 25 kills. Just gotta know what abilities are good for each situation. You aren't going to want to draw a lot of attention while DPSing. Run with a couple melee folks if you can, and use your AoE attacks to your advantage (DfA, Sweeping Blasters, the AoE from your Explosive darts, Fusion Missle, etc.). If you pull agro on one person, hit him with the stun dart, explosive dart, missile blast, and start kiting them around, using any instant casts you get.

The best advise for melee is to stay away from them. That may sound trollish but its really the only weapon you have. Yes you have jet boost to knock back and electro dart to stun but mercs have very few weapons against melee. And yes to really dps well as arsenal your stuck in place. The spec works great if you warfront conservatively. Playing with a pack mentality is the best way to do well. Pyro is more mobile but healers dispelling your dots will wreck you like a melee.

I've been playing Pyro for pvp for exactly the reason you stated. I would categorize arsenal as the pve tree and pyro as the pvp tree. Arsenal clearly puts out better damage, but good luck kiting with it - you'd better have support or you're going to get stomped. That being said, I've never tried arsenal and it has some interesting tools - in the right hands it's probably very viable in pvp. I just prefer more mobility, and that's what pyro gives.

As for how the tree works, the idea is to DoT people up, proc free rail shots using unload and power shot, and to kite using the snare proc from combustible cylinder. Unfortunately the snare really isn't all that reliable, especially if melee gets the jump on you.

If you're starting from range, my rotation usually goes fusion missile, rail shot, unload, free rail shot if available, incendiary missile, then whatever's appropriate depending on heat and class. You can throw in a power shot before unload too if heat's not an issue, but I prefer keeping it low (and I usually throw a rapid shots somewhere in there early, often after the first rail shot, to hopefully proc an extra dot and snare while giving your heat another CGD to drop). From there, rapid shot spam and start kiting, tossing in instants while keeping your heat low so you can burst when you have an opening. Keep in mind though, this spec won't let you go toe-to-toe with a lot of other ranged classes. You're best to dot up and use line of site to toss in the occasional heal. It'll let you use your heat more liberally too since you can let it drop as you do the pillar dance.

If you're getting jumped in melee then put up the incendiary missile dot, rail shot, then spam rapid shots and hope for a proc, tossing in any other instants you want depending on heat. Once (and by that I mean if) you've got a bit of distance, hit them with unload and hope for a rail shot proc, or if you've created a lot of space then try fusion missile and then unload. Save jet boost and conc missile until you need them (ie desperation or to put up some solid burst) unless they've blown their gap closer right off the bat: if you jet boost right of the bat to create space and try to load up a rotation, a good melee player will just interupt you anyway. Sadly, there are just some times that you won't get a CGC proc and you'll get ripped up no matter what you do.

Anyway that's my experience so far. I'm only at 33 so I don't have all the tools yet, but so far I typically come in 1-3 on dmg every match and my survivability has increased dramatically as I've learned to use the tree effectively. As with any ranged class though, the key is to know what you can and can't do, and to stay away from situations you can't handle.

I'm level 25 and I play with a friend who is the same level both as mercs and we have a very good understanding, but it also works solo.

First and foremost, stay away from the front lines, you are not melee and you don't want to be anywhere near enemy melee chars.

Most opposition make a bee line for the light sabers because more often than not they are going for the objectives as they are melee. Don't try and blow the doors up in Voidster, you will get mobbed by defending jedis and you are not a melee class. I concentrate on killing low HP players who I can see are nearly dead, stunning jedis that are in a 1v1 and using AOEs to disperse a mob. I will never get up in anyones face and because I stick at range most tend to ignore me and go for the warriors that are tryign to blow the doors up.

So first of all if they are in a mob = death from above. It does awesome damage.

I have all my buffs and cylidners on the left hand side as well as my reload and my quick travel, frees up some space down below.

So I'll hover on the edge, watch the jedis clashing and just survey what's going on, if I see a low HP person running away, he gets a tracer missile to finish him off and the missile that fires instantly you get at a low level I forget it's name. I target these players mostly because I'm range, I can fire a missile, I dont' want sith warriors chasing someone on low HP back to a mob when they could stay where they are in a group and concentrate on taking out doors etc. If I see a 1v1 situation then I fire the electro dart at the opposition and a missile to help them out then move on to the next target, the second the bomb is placed I start using CC, sweeping blasters is amazing as it just disrupts anyone trying to defuse, this also works for defending because it interrupts anyone attempting to plant.

If there is nobody attempting to plant, then you just look for people you can finish quickly, because you don't want your warriors wasting time and abilities with cool downs on people with low health and not being able to move on, so finish the job for them with your missiles and let them move on to help another sith out. I rarely attempt to hit anyone who is on their own or at full health, it's counter productive, it takes me out of the fight and unable to help my team, the only time I will do this is if for example ssomeone with range is doing to my team what I am doing to theirs.

If someone comes to you in your face, you have a plethora of options, electro dart to stun, they will break out, use concussion grenade and their break out is on cooldown, you can knock them back with rocket jump, you can punch them, torch them, you can stun them and hit tracer missile over and over, you will either kill them or someone will come to help you.

Primarily I play BH as a support/grief tool. I support the players in front of me picking the best option to attack rather than looking for a jedi consular on full health to spam abilities at, and when we have the objective then I look to disrupt anybody and distract anybody that I can to take them away from the fight. I've pulled multiple jedis away from a poitn and stunned one/engaged the other one and while you may die, you've taken them away from the main fight and aided your team.

It's also great fun. Rather than seeing someone and deciding you're goign to try and kill them, survey the battlefield for the best option all the time and swap targets.

I usually come out with around 38-45 kills and between 4-9 deaths, and you feel like you have helped the team by thinking strategically rather than just spotted a guy and thinking him, he's dead. Then wasting your time on him while there is a battle going on around you that you could help out better by looking for priorities.

Edited by Zetara

If a melee person gets close you should be able to just rotate to keep them infront and just spam TM/rail. I've out dpsed several jedi that thought getting close was a good idea. RP/AB and stun are good to add in there after the first rail shot.

Make sure you have your ability que set to 1.0sec so you can have the next TM in the que so there is not break in your dps.

I don't like to get on ground level with melee players but sometimes it happens...especially in Void star.

If a melee person gets close you should be able to just rotate to keep them infront and just spam TM/rail. I've out dpsed several jedi that thought getting close was a good idea. RP/AB and stun are good to add in there after the first rail shot.

Make sure you have your ability que set to 1.0sec so you can have the next TM in the que so there is not break in your dps.

I don't like to get on ground level with melee players but sometimes it happens...especially in Void star.

that was yesterday: melee classes have learned to use their interupts. They will interupt TM if you stick in melee range and mindlessly spamm it. Add some other stuns/knockbacks to the mix you woun´t be able to outdamage them anymore. At least not if they know what they are doing.

It puzzles me that the Merc who is the one who has to be able to stay at range has such big trouble doing so. Pyrotech depends a lot on the ability to use free (of heat) railshots. But the Merc has a tough time getting those to proc. a 3 sec channel or a 1.5 sec cast ability can do that for him. Both abilities root him in place. And power shot also has a very high heat generation with 25 and only a 30% chance to reset railshot.

So the Merc can´t profit from the railshots as much as the PT. Since the PT can proc the reset with a high damage instant low heat ability (flameburst).

I've been playing Pyro for pvp for exactly the reason you stated. I would categorize arsenal as the pve tree and pyro as the pvp tree. Arsenal clearly puts out better damage, but good luck kiting with it - you'd better have support or you're going to get stomped. That being said, I've never tried arsenal and it has some interesting tools - in the right hands it's probably very viable in pvp. I just prefer more mobility, and that's what pyro gives.

As for how the tree works, the idea is to DoT people up, proc free rail shots using unload and power shot, and to kite using the snare proc from combustible cylinder. Unfortunately the snare really isn't all that reliable, especially if melee gets the jump on you.

If you're starting from range, my rotation usually goes fusion missile, rail shot, unload, free rail shot if available, incendiary missile, then whatever's appropriate depending on heat and class. You can throw in a power shot before unload too if heat's not an issue, but I prefer keeping it low (and I usually throw a rapid shots somewhere in there early, often after the first rail shot, to hopefully proc an extra dot and snare while giving your heat another CGD to drop). From there, rapid shot spam and start kiting, tossing in instants while keeping your heat low so you can burst when you have an opening. Keep in mind though, this spec won't let you go toe-to-toe with a lot of other ranged classes. You're best to dot up and use line of site to toss in the occasional heal. It'll let you use your heat more liberally too since you can let it drop as you do the pillar dance.

If you're getting jumped in melee then put up the incendiary missile dot, rail shot, then spam rapid shots and hope for a proc, tossing in any other instants you want depending on heat. Once (and by that I mean if) you've got a bit of distance, hit them with unload and hope for a rail shot proc, or if you've created a lot of space then try fusion missile and then unload. Save jet boost and conc missile until you need them (ie desperation or to put up some solid burst) unless they've blown their gap closer right off the bat: if you jet boost right of the bat to create space and try to load up a rotation, a good melee player will just interupt you anyway. Sadly, there are just some times that you won't get a CGC proc and you'll get ripped up no matter what you do.

Anyway that's my experience so far. I'm only at 33 so I don't have all the tools yet, but so far I typically come in 1-3 on dmg every match and my survivability has increased dramatically as I've learned to use the tree effectively. As with any ranged class though, the key is to know what you can and can't do, and to stay away from situations you can't handle.

Pretty much this if you're looking to spec pyro.

Should be helpful as I'm going for Pyro too. Thanks!

Also, dunno if someone posted it, but BW messed with the autofacing. It makes ranged very easy.

Let me start by saying this: everyone is right. Don't let any melee get near you, EVER.

With that being said, there will be times where you will have to deal with melee. If you find yourself in a "burn this melee down before he burns me down type situation" you *can* just stand and spam tracer missile. I recommend kiting if at all possible.

But there is occasion where it's best to just TM spam a melee and finish him off (eg: snared), even is he's eating your face. In those rare occasions, don't use your mouse to point the camera. Where BW messed up is they make it so you autoface the target your casting against. This means you can just spam TM and the melee can run circles around you and you will just autofollow him the whole time. Messing with your camera will get you "target not in front of you" whereas just spamming TM and autofacing will get the kill. That is an important item that is often overlooked...

Again, don't let melee get on you and always kite but in the rare instance listed above... don't fight the autoface, let it do it's thing. Spam TM and then finish with Rail Shot before they kill you.

Edit: Before someone else says it, yes, a good melee will interrupt your TM spam. Sometimes, you have to do the best with what you have. My point is this: let the autoface do it's thing and don't fight it.

Edited by crrypto