Yet another game reports that Raiders and PVP players are a vast minority.....

LordArtemis

Quotes have been posted on the forums from Sony, Blizzard, NCSoft, Perfect World and obviously Turbine. Note that, if I remember correctly, Blizzard and Sony had odd definitions of what they consider casual and hardcore players, so that should be noted.

i wasn't referring to hardcore vs casual, the poster i responded to threw out a comment saying "only a tiny portion of the player base pvps". Blizzard has never said that. Turbine can only say that re LOTRO which doesn't have pvp options like most other mmos do - they are probably scrambling to defend that choice, but AC1 (Turbine's first mmo) had a full pvp server (out of only a handful of servers) and lots of pvp going on with the other servers. I got the impression that the Turbine producers don't want to support pvp because it is a headache but don't remember them ever saying anything like "only a tiny portion of players do that".

References to quotes aren't quotes. Google gave me nada but i didn't look -very- hard.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasn't referring to hardcore vs casual, the poster i responded to threw out a comment saying "only a tiny portion of the player base pvps". Blizzard has never said that. Turbine can only say that re LOTRO which doesn't have pvp options like most other mmos do - they are probably scrambling to defend that choice, but AC1 (Turbine's first mmo) had a full pvp server (out of only a handful of servers) and lots of pvp going on with the other servers. I got the impression that the Turbine producers don't want to support pvp because it is a headache but don't remember them ever saying anything like "only a tiny portion of players do that".

References to quotes aren't quotes. Google gave me nada but i didn't look -very- hard.

I'll see if I can find some of the old quotes. I know that Blizzard stated a small portion of the playerbase participates in "structured" PVP when speaking to the mistakes of introducing Arenas to the game.

I realize this is an old thread and I'm probably off base here, but there are too many raid guilds out there forget that this is a game. There are guildmasters who run the same guilds on EQ2 for example and constantly talk about their trophies there to the point where you are removed from a raid team if someone makes a big donation to the fund to buy a guildship or takes the lead in conquest.

Just a lurker's (probably off base and bitter as those things happened to me :p) opinion.

.. but I think that a lack of solo players (non guild) would have a much larger effect on the statistics then they point out. In fact, I think it's likely this is only a good indicator of how many GUILDED players participate in raids.....

The sample may be slightly biased toward guilded players, but from my experience in WoW over the last ten years I'd guess the percentage of unguilded players is pretty small. There are just far too many perks to belonging to a guild in WoW. Everything from more honor for PvP kills, faster accumulation of: reputation points, gold, materials, experience, and on and on. Even people that mostly solo want to belong to a guild just for the perks.

The sample may be slightly biased toward guilded players, but from my experience in WoW over the last ten years I'd guess the percentage of unguilded players is pretty small. There are just far too many perks to belonging to a guild in WoW. Everything from more honor for PvP kills, faster accumulation of: reputation points, gold, materials, experience, and on and on. Even people that mostly solo want to belong to a guild just for the perks.

Fair enough. I don't agree with your view that most folks are in guilds, BUT I would concede that I could certainly be completely wrong about that.

And if I am, then the study would be entirely accurate with respect to demonstrating an increased interest and participation in raiding.

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a graphic breakdown of PVP ranked participation in SWTOR for all three seasons. Take it as you will.

http://swtor-arenas.com/ilmarinen.htm

Not trying to be argumentative LA, but what exactly does that prove? I mean what was your purpose in posting that? I know the intent of the thread as a whole, although I personally think that even if raiders and or PvPers are a minority, they should still be catered to, I see no real reason behind the graph.

Do you mind explaining that to me if that is okay.

Not trying to be argumentative LA, but what exactly does that prove? I mean what was your purpose in posting that? I know the intent of the thread as a whole, although I personally think that even if raiders and or PvPers are a minority, they should still be catered to, I see no real reason behind the graph.

Do you mind explaining that to me if that is okay.

It was simply an informative post. I welcome people to read the information in the link and draw their own conclusions.