Bowdaar is the Worst

DunsparrowSolo

I've found that if you gear him up, he's at least as good as Corso. I haven't gotten any of the other companions yet, so I don't know how he compares with them. For me, I try to focus on the role-playing aspect of it. I would rather spend a little more money and effort keeping Bowdaar as my active companion because he's awesome.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrapper build here. I didn't like Bowdaar either. Got me kill while killing group or 4 normal mobs, which normally is easy with Corso. Now, I use Risha while I tank. Easier for me to heal myself and not worry about companion. People who complain about Corso's harpoon need to learn to use them. His harpoon is the reason why I can solo 2 man heroics and some 4 man heroics. For melee boss I use Corso and Risha for range boss. Take off taunt, put him in dps stance and kite the boss a distance away from Corso. Keep vita shoot up and shoot and bomb till boss dead. He will harpoon the boss but never take aggo. Boss rarely reach me. For range, kite the boss around obstacles while Risha dps. Hide behind obstacle to heal yourself. Another trick with range boss is to pop in and out of obstacle. Range boss tend to stop and shoot if they have line of sight. And they use Aim shoot which has a cast timer. That gives you time to hide again. Pop back out and they will try to Aim shoot again.

Scrapper are easy mode for bosses if you know the tricks.

Today a sith soc jumped me in tatoonie while I was doing quest. Both of us are level 33. I kill him with half life left. I just run circle around him while Risha dps the crap out of him. Then a 27 sith that I killed not long ago with half life came and he got his butt kicked also.

So yea, Rish all the way.

Bowdarr is great for a sawbones with a lot of time on his hands and no one to run 4-man dungeons with. Especially after 35-ish, when he gets his shield boost ability.

Also, I get the occasional chuckle when fighting on bridges or near cliffs and he accidentally hurls his target down into the abyss.

I use Bowdaar for sure. I didn't like him when I first got him, but I was also fighting same lvl strong mobs with his standard gear. Once you gear him up and get some of his new abilities, he's pretty effective. Most new companions aren't too hot until you gear them with some orange gear.

I'm also a cybertech so it helps when I switch out his armoring and mods. Plus, I got him a sick looking vibroblade on Balmorra.

I'm a 32 Gunslinger and a geared Bowie is fine as a tank. He normally just dies/just survives as we kill a same level gold elite.......just got Risha, so gonna gear her and try double dps; smash some ****, yeah!!

Just met Aza the Bounty Hunter so will try her out when I presumably soon add her to the team:)

Edited by Eskymojo

As an AOE gunslinger, bowdaar rocks. He keeps everything grouped up while I aoe down the whole mess. He does die more than I like because I have no healing.

With the companion bug, corso keeps harpooning things out of my gunfire if I ever forget to turn it off after zoning.

Btw, I really enjoy my leveling aoe build.

Bowdar is a beast, and keeps AOE agro better than any of the other companions I have seen. Look into his gear, I'm gearing mine out now with the level 50 daily mods, and ive pretty much spent most my commendations on his gear while leveling.

He's a bit squishier than a PC tank, but he does the job for me, my only issue with him is his AOE will break tranquil shot, but I just duck around corners to pull the mobs away from the CCed mob. Bowdar is by far my tank of choice and often with him I would be 5-6 levels behind my class quest and finishing them.

I LOL'd so hard at the OP post.

He is really a funny writer.

This concerns me though.

I just picked a Scoundrel, and I am jonesing for my Wookie.

Now, I have concerns after reading this thread. :(

If I got concerned about everything people whine about on the forums, I would be put off every single aspect of the game. Fortunately the picture is never as bad as people make it out to be, so take things with a grain of salt. Bowdaar is fine, just keep his gear upgraded.

If I got concerned about everything people whine about on the forums, I would be put off every single aspect of the game. Fortunately the picture is never as bad as people make it out to be, so take things with a grain of salt. Bowdaar is fine, just keep his gear upgraded.

I will in no way throw Bowdaar away because of this posting.

I read through every repsonse because of my desire to have Bowdaar.

And like all things that I WANT, I will find a way to make it work.

I can be concerned, but it doesn't freeze me in my tracks or sway my opinion.

It's just a simple acknowldegment that it won't all be a bed of roses playing with him as I expected it would be, and I need to L2P with him.

That is all. :p

Edited by Fraxture

As a level 50 Sawbones, the only 2 companions I use are Corso and Risha. I use Corso to tank when I'll be facing elite mobs, or if I don't want to worry about getting hit at all.

Then, I use Risha in sniper mode when I'll be facing groups of trash and strongs, for faster kills. Even though I end up tanking the strong, the 2 of us kill him fast enough that I don't have to heal myself or anything.

When grouped in a Heroic, I always use Risha.

Edited by Mekrath

I play a shadow tank character, but leveled a lot through

tatooine with a sawbones/bowdar pair (2/4heroics). I had

no real interest in a sawbones/smuggler until seeing how

much fun a well played sawbones/bowdar can be.

The toss was awesomely funny. Sure, we lost a few quest

mobs over the cliff, and yes, we got extra packs. But it was

funny, and we still prevailed.

Maybe, bowdar is not optimal, but playing a sawbones with

bowdar seemed like a convincing way to have fun.

While Bowdaar definitely seems to drop quickly early, that's not my main problem with him.

My biggest gripe with the wookie is that I prep for a fight and I tranq shot a silver mob. Bowdaar runs in and uses his wookie roar to get aoe threat and deal some damage. This breaks the CC from my tranq shot and now the fight is too much for me to do effectively.

I think that roar is great to get the enemies' attention, but I'd really prefer it if the damage were removed from the move so I can keep my CC up.

Anyone else experiencing this?

This is a trend all across the board, the very first companion each class gets is simply the best, its like they(Bioware), put thought into first companions and just kinda 'meh'd(if thats even a real word) the rest

I don't think Aric Jorgan is my best companion, and he was my Trooper's 1st.

I spend all my time as a Vanguard with Elara Dorne.

It's just you think the signature companion of a smuggler, from the movies for example, would be the Wookie.

To make him ineffective really does seem like a bad idea.

But then I am an area kind of Scoundrel, so we may just get along just fine. :D

As a sawbones scoundrel bowdar is great. That being said I keep him as up to date as possible with new gear. I can't stand Corso's grappling hook and Bowdarr's character goes along with my style of character and it's its easy to score point with the big furball affection wise.

Also a guildy recently told me that you need to activate his shield? I don't have a problem either way, Not sure if that is the same as the stance or not. I can see how not having the heals would make bowdarr pretty useless.