Bowdaar is the Worst

DunsparrowSolo

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys can turn off knock backs and the harpoon on the abilites bar. You know that right?

Keep your companions geared and all of them will be fine. Bowdarr is better against packs of melee mobs, Corse against packs of ranged I find, but both are equally viable.

HATE HIM! I've used him for two missions and went straight back to Corso.

Corso and myself can pretty much take on anything, he might die now and then, but we generally keep going.

With stupid Bowdaar, we both died on the first mission was did! He doesn't seem to tank anything, doesn't seem to take any thing down and is just rubbish!

Like the OP, I was psyched to get him, but now, he can stay and stink up the ship.

He definitely does not have the best skill set for controlled agro management. I wonder if they will rethink him at all?

I'd like to see toss changed to a Wookie choke (Chewbacka - Lando).

I'm guessing they won't and he'll be one of those companions you either have to control fully yourself or just sits on the ship doing craft missions. :(

The thing about Corso is that he is so "puppy dog" in love my my character that I am loath to take him anywhere because next thing I know he will be down on his knee handing me a ring or something, he already came to me drunk and looked like he wanted sex ...I just hate the guy so much...and if you gear up Bowdaar well he is a decent tank.

Can't figure out why they took away his bowcaster though...:confused:

You all have bad experiences with Bowdaar mainly bc like someone else said, replace his gear. My experiences with him is Corso is only slightly better in very few situations. I had a buddy complain that his r2d2 was complete crap and then me being a cybertech I made him some gear and now he loves how much of a beating it can take and the damage it does. The same goes for all of your companions. Keep them geared alongside yourself and you will never have issues with any.

As for people saying Akavi is a better tank, she is not a tank.

Corso = Ranged Tank

Bowdaar = Melee Tank

Risha = Ranged DPS

Akavi = Melee DPS

Guss = Healer

When I first got Bowdaar I thought he was bad too, a bit weak. Healing him was more of a hassle than Corso's harpoon. But as I went further into the sawbone tree, and got bowdar better items, he's become pretty useful. I keep all his abilities on, I don't really find a need to CC anything or worry about him knocking folks around. if it gets too crazy, I just stick to straight heal on him until his AOE kills everyone. And if I steal agro, I just flash bomb/dirty kick my way towards him so he can pick it up again. Also, Bowdaars aoe + thermal grenade make for some quick mob fights.

Fully geared he's actually really good imo. Especially against melee mobs, but unless if you have a friend . guild doing synthweaving he is impossible to keep well geared. While Corso is easy to keep geared if you go armormech.

Tbh I think that Akavi and Risha are the best once you gear them out with as much + surge as possible. Its not hard to see some 3-4k crits when they get to about 360-400 surge, and the snare on Akavi is nice if your kiting in a more open world pvp situation.

With Risha you can just give her your old gear every time you upgrade, and you can even scavenge your mobs and toss them into a mod rifle to keep her weapon up to date.

It lets you kite around a few gold mobs while she simply rips them apart. I can even do some flash points now with just me and her bringing the dps.

Just thought i'd let you know that bowdaar tanks quite well and is easy to heal

I just thought you'd like to know that you've added nothing of substance to this post. If people are complaining about issues with Bowdaar, than they are in-fact seeing a problem, just because the problem doesn't seem apparent to you, does not mean it doesn't exist. Be content to know you're not helping.

The final straw was a vintage Bowdaaar Wookie Toss

it makes me smile that we can say this already

hopefully in future patch he will get "wookie arm rip". Though it could possibly upset the younger gamer, think it would be worth his squishiness

ok i tried and i tried...

I geard Bowdar to the Teath !

And the problem is .... He does some Pathetic amount of small dmg to mobs !

He cant solo a silver.

He hardly can solo a trashmob.... it takes 30 sec to kill 1.... Risha kills a trashmob in 1 Shoot. LOL

So if you going with Bowdar you need to Dish out all the DPS.. And killing trash means u get all the aggro anyway :S

Id say skip bowdar for Questing. Use Risha.

Both the Frog and Bowdar are good at what they supose to do. That is to Tank and heal... Im just frustrated they cant do a little more DPS also :S

They both belong in a 2-man group with a dedicated healer or Tank. Then u be supriced how good they are if you havent tried.

Edited by Donnadarco

My biggest problem with Bowdaar is that he has no freaking cross bow. I mean seriously, where is his gosh darned cross bow......

There were some mobs in the Jedi Prisoner that were carrying Bowcasters, and I was thinking, ARG let me take one for Bowdaar!! I agree, Bowdaar is a horrible tank, even with decent gear. I've debated about turning off the knockback, but it's so stinking funny and I enjoy the challenge - plus I have the smuggler's "live to fight another day" mentality, so I don't mind letting him die as I leave dust trails behind me

is everyone playing scoundrel or something ? relying on there pets to do dmg. just got bowdaar havn't started anything with him yet hopefully hes alright for me.

Not relying on him to do damage, just wishing he wouldn't die so easily to gold star mobs (or even blues). Compared to some of the other class tanks, he just seems to be ... lacking

I geared him as a solid tank. Defense implants, earring and whatever defense gear I loot. He's pretty solid and takes a beating quite well. Tanked Down the Hole just last night for me, with flying colors I might add.

I spent maybe 10k on him for upgrades and he's far better than Corso. However I am a scoundrel and have access to heals, not sure how well he would do as a gunslinger.

I am playing a pure Sawbones spec Scoundrel and Bowdar is my go-to companion. Corso annoys the Sith out of me and Wookies are just plain awesome. As he charges in I load him up with 2 SRM's which trigger Upper Hand (Pugnacity FTW!). I then run in with him and start letting fly with Back Blasts, Cheap Shots, Grenades, Quick Shots etc.

If he starts losing health just chuck a few heals on and get back to damage dealing and we finish the fight no problems.

Even same level Gold Mobs die with us still on 90%+ health.

Now I know I could probably do the same with Corso but I have a love in my life and he is a 7ft tall Space Ape.

At first, I also was quite disappointed with our walking carpet friend. As other have pointed out, vanilla bowdaar needs additional gear to be usefull. I didn't realize until a level or so with him, that his green vibrosword could be modified, I had been waiting for a quest reward, until i finally figured it out that it didnt have to be orange to update the mods. Updating his mods in his weapon with badge rewards and always picking his upgrades from quest rewards (and splurging for an appearance customization) has made him a good companion for my sawbones character. In the mid 30's he has easily held up to some of the champions and elite foes so far. The only problem I have had with him recently was the sith lord in the bonus series on Balmorra. That guy hits him hard, I couldn't keep up.

I think it takes more effort to get him geared than Corso, but if you commit to him, I think he can serve you well.

I have never died so much as I have with Bowdaar. I'm purely DPS gunslinger and he can't stay alive more than about 20 seconds in most fights. I've equipped as much gear for him as I could find, and took every Bowdaar quest reward item just to try and pump him up.

I finally gave up after dying twice to the scripted fights in Tatooine that involve the SIS and Czerka. Corso is my go to until I find another companion. Considering that Bowdaar's Lore says "he is the best there is" I was expecting something a little more resilient than wet toilet paper.:(

Thanks to everyone commenting in this thread. I went here to see what everyone thought of Bowdarr because he was doing far worse than Riggs for me. I went into his skills and found the defensive stance off and then turned that on and turned off the stuff mentioned and he's doing far better than before. Thanks all!