Changing class roles. Need some advice!

Lostfordays

I just came back to the game after being away for awhile. Normally I tend to play tank classes and I dabble in healers from time to time. I want to mix things up a bit and play a dps class for a change. I very rarely play as a dps class but when I do, I like the class to offer more than raw damage. What I am asking is suggestions on a dps class that has some utility and support options. I like having the ability to lay down some off-heals or group buffs. I also like being able to add debuffs to enemies and throw in stuns, knockbacks, slows etc etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And before I forget, I tend to focus more on PvE than PvP if that helps. Thanks in advance!

For off-heals, go Commando; they get a cheap, instant AoE heal that does a pretty decent amount of healing.

For group buffs, go Watchman Sentinel (their burst phase heals the group a little) or Sage (they can put bubbles around their teammates that absorb a chunk of damage before popping) or possibly even Gunslinger (at level 42 they get an awesome defensive cooldown that reduces damage taken by them and everyone near them).

There aren't really any buff-centered classes in this game though. The big group utility buff is the ability to debuff enemy armor by 20%, which three classes have:

-Guardian debuffs armor rotationally with Sundering Strike. Defense Guardian also debuffs armor with Force Sweep and Vigilance Guardian with Saber Throw.

-Gunnery Commando debuffs armor near-constantly with its filler attack Grav Round. The other Commando specs can't do this.

-Gunslinger debuffs armor with Flourish Shot. No spec uses it rotationally, but if there's nobody else in the group with an armor debuff skill available, they can use it for the utility.

Thanks for the advice. After reading up a bit on your suggestions, I feel like I'm leaning towards a Gunnery Commando the most. Seems like it offers a good amount of what I'm looking for. The huge cannon was also a plus!

Commandos also make for some interesting hybrid dps/healer builds if you might be interested in that. Gunnery is more about the armor debuff and makes for a more healing focused build while assault is good for an easy to reach full dps rotation with decent focus on healing.

It's more of a niche build, but a very useful option in tactical flashpoints and pvp where a full healer isn't always the best option, or you want nearly a full dps with more powerful off-heals.

Edited by Luneward