Seriously: Who was the genius who put gunships in this game?

arkanone

And battle between cruiser happens at huge distance normally.

Since this has nothing to do with GS I will hide it

Executor was supposed to destroy any planetary surface in hours, standard ISD could make some nice planetary bomberdment too.

Aliance tactic was mostly hit and run. Most of their ships (except Mon Calamary cruisers) didn´t have chance on close range with Destroyers. But superlaser would anihilate them even more faster. Battle in the RotS was a little bit too much close but because it was finishing. From SWTCW and short movies from KOTOR1 can be assumed that battle begins on middle distance (where lots of fire missed target) but to completly destroy enemi ship was need to get really close.

Gunships are a balanced class but one that is not fun to face.

Thats very nicely said.

-Plasma railgun completely removed and replaced with gatling laser.

Good move since everyone love gatling :D However it would need some SW name, probably rotary blaster cannon.

Basically the idea is to turn gunships from snipers into, well, gunships. Heavily armed and armored but non-agile fighters who can lay deadly sustained damage and take a beating. The focus in a dogfight would be on out lasting your opponent or catching them with your superior firepower as opposed to running away to your carrier.

Exactly, make from snipership true Gunship. Heavily armed and armored but non-agile, all 3 properties are very important. Not try to make some hybrid.

I like how lots of people agree that GS/bombers are annoying but because they are already here, it can be nothing done. They can be deleted from game. I can almost imagine that tsunami of rage.:D

I think, short of slug railgun one-shot crits, gunships are fine. They are fun to play, a huge threat on the battlefield (as they should be), and add interesting depth to gameplay (and ship selection). Extensive changes don't need to be made to anything other than the Dustmaker/Comet Breaker.

I think, short of slug railgun one-shot crits, gunships are fine. They are fun to play, a huge threat on the battlefield (as they should be), and add interesting depth to gameplay (and ship selection). Extensive changes don't need to be made to anything other than the Dustmaker/Comet Breaker.

They may be balanced for high level play, but they are absolutely not fun to fly against, especially for newer pilots, hut also for veterans, honestly.

Gunships, more than any other class, can completely focus and shut down an ace, and there is really nothing he can do about it. If I am getting focused by Scouts or Strikes (even 3-4 of them) I can attempt to outfly and evade them while also getting kills. But if I am being focused by just two Gunships, I pretty much have to just stay out of their range entirely. Otherwise they each slug me for 492 hull damage, regardless of my shields. Regardless of what ship I'm in, two such volleys will kill me.

Shutting me down in anything else is much more difficult.

As a relative newcomer to GSF, I honestly never saw the problem. Can they be problematic? Yes, but so can literally any class of ship. But if I'm getting railgunned to death non-stop, it's almost always my fault. The wind-up to fire takes ages and they can't move while they do it.

If there is ANYTHING I would argue is a huge turn-off for newer players, it's getting matched up regularly against pre-mades. As a newbie, that's really the one thing that you can't quickly learn how to deal with. Ain't like you can go create your pre-made when you're only bringing inexperience and non-upgraded fighters to the table.

Gunships are fine for me when it comes to design.

I see them as RL mortar cannons, put in space. Immobile, using ballistics...

They may not have been seen in SW lore, but I don't see why it may not exist.

The only things I'm not fine with, are :

• Slug Rail damage
    So high that not using any other rail with it, imply very few down sides damage-wise. As a result, Plasma has no point, and the Cometbreaker has none either since the missiles are neither needed, neither Plasma.
    Also makes Gunship walls very effective since them being numerous tends to force not using Plasma or Ion (because they have conditional use, and conditions may not be fulfilled with a sudden shot coming from another GS) and since the use of slug only does not have significant drawback...
  • Ion Rail drain
    Very high, so that it's used as a CC/disruption shot rather than a Shield killing shot.

Edited by Altheran

Ain't like you can go create your pre-made when you're only bringing inexperience and non-upgraded fighters to the table.

I have to disagree with the non-upgraded fighter. Inexperience is a killer. True.

I'm currently running a Novadive (base scout) with StE Converter mastered (15500), LLC mastered (36000), Power Dive T2 (5500) and Speed Thruster mastered (6000). So about 63000 req invested in my ship. But I was dangerous long before that. Once I got StE Converter T2 and Power Dive T2, I was almost as dangerous as I'm now. So only 11000 req. Every ship can be dangerous with very few upgrades. In good hands.

If you have a missile break engine, upgrade to T2.

If you are running Barrel Roll, master Distorsion ASAP. If you can't field Disto, find a new engine.

If you have a component that transfer energy from a pool to another (except EtW), get it to T2.

Then master your shield, armor and reactor.

*BAM* You suddenly have the tools to survive. and it is far from the most costly upgrade.

The trick to dealing with Gunships is being aware of all those red dots on your map. Hit tab often, especially when you see new red dots pop up. If one is a gunship, the top right of your screen has a view of the ship from your perspective, even if you can't see it yourself. If that gunship is facing you, and the number that denotes distance is <15000m, well.. you should assume he's trying to kill you and hit your engine maneuver. Since most gunships like to snipe from close to their max range, you can also just turn and boost out of their firing range - this takes much less time than they have to spend charging a shot. This is assuming that you can't just put an obstacle in the way like an asteroid or rock formation. Alternatively, if you're in something like a scout, hit distortion and boost up to them to get an easy kill (or at the very least put them on the run so they aren't sniping).

I can agree with what some people here have said about gunships being setting-inappropriate, just being a transparent PvP game convention that has no connection to Star Wars, but I haven't found them to be overpowered. I kind of like them, because my half-upgraded Blackbolt (the only ship I've really got) eats them for breakfast. Most importantly, even though they hit pretty hard, they are engaged with the rest of the game and provide opportunities for both offensive and defensive counterplay, which is fun.

The trick to dealing with Gunships is being aware of all those red dots on your map. Hit tab often, especially when you see new red dots pop up. If one is a gunship, the top right of your screen has a view of the ship from your perspective, even if you can't see it yourself. If that gunship is facing you, and the number that denotes distance is <15000m, well.. you should assume he's trying to kill you and hit your engine maneuver. Since most gunships like to snipe from close to their max range, you can also just turn and boost out of their firing range - this takes much less time than they have to spend charging a shot. This is assuming that you can't just put an obstacle in the way like an asteroid or rock formation. Alternatively, if you're in something like a scout, hit distortion and boost up to them to get an easy kill (or at the very least put them on the run so they aren't sniping).

I normally boost to them in every single ship i am if i can get in range before the next shot. Even on a bomber. Most GS pilots are so surprised they forget to kill me and I score a kill.

I normally boost to them in every single ship i am if i can get in range before the next shot. Even on a bomber. Most GS pilots are so surprised they forget to kill me and I score a kill.

And if the target view shows them facing a totally different direction while stationary, that's a cue to go destroy them as well. Gunships are only "OP" if people ignore them and allow them to sit still, sniping with impunity.

Boosting 15000m doesn't take a long at all. It seems like a long way, but that's because most of the stuff in this game is moving as well so closing with it can be tricky. A target that's just sitting there in one spot waiting for you to kill it, though.. It might get one shot off at you, which isn't enough ;)

QQ delete gunships QQ Stop whining and L2P. As for you Ace, if you have problems dealing with gunships (and I know you do, first hand), go ask Kessler and Zolo for tips. Edited by Asbetos

TDM, match full of people with 5 ships and two with only one, a striker, trying to be show-offs

in my bomber for lulz and req. points. only get 1 or 2 kills

We start to fall behind, and I finally die. (by the noob with only a striker)

I get mad, take out the standard gunship, annihilate everything without care, mercy or skill, getting 7 - 8 kills.

we win the match 50-48

Working as intended

QQ delete gunships QQ Stop whining and L2P. As for you Ace, if you have problems dealing with gunships (and I know you do, first hand), go ask Kessler and Zolo for tips.

Yes, of course, I´m not able to shot down GS. ;) If you are trying to turn this in to personal issue, use PM please.

Its so easy to say that anyone who have another opinion is whiner and need L2P.