So are Powertechs more Ranged than Melee?

Zurum

Nope, definitely a melee class. Even as a pyrotech specced PT, the most ranged of the builds, I'm finding myself in melee pretty much all the time - though I only have a couple of specifically melee range attacks, said attacks are good, particularly rocket punch, so if I'm not up close and personal, I'm not operating to my full capabilities. Sure, I can step back to 10m range and still be decent, but, unless there's a specific reason not to be in melee (eg a really nasty PBAoE), then doing so is pointlessly nerfing myself... Edited by PhroX

Powertechs are true hybrids.

Ranged classes will beat them in a ranged battle.

Melee classes will beat them in a melee battle.

They can beat ranged classes by making it a melee battle.

They can beat melee classes by staying at range as much as possible.

Powertechs are true hybrids.

Ranged classes will beat them in a ranged battle.

Melee classes will beat them in a melee battle.

They can beat ranged classes by making it a melee battle.

They can beat melee classes by staying at range as much as possible.

So so true!

I usually orchestrate the fight in the beginning from range, but once you want to start "sitting on your punches" and dropping the hammer, you are going to be in melee range of the target.

My favorite is to open up with unload, rail shot, electro dart, jetpack jump, then shoulder slam, then rocket punch. That only works with strongs or above, regulars are dead after rail shot if not unload.

I also like to play a game I call Bounty Hunter tether ball. When you get a mob outside the group, I hit someone in the group with explosive dart, jump in, then grapple in the straggler, and if I time it right, the blast sends him flying while he's still in the air and my rope is still attached. Just a bit of aesthetic fun.

Edited by Rikalonius