This is the state of crafting.

KetMalice

If you rely on commendations you will always be a couple levels behind the crafters gearwise. Why? For example, on your second world the mods are level 15ish but you'll be level 17 before you have enough commendations to buy them all. If you're making your own or buying off the GTN you'll always have updated gear. This is the same on every planet. Maybe at level 50 this won't be the case.

It very easy to have blue recipes and they are better than quest rewards 99% of the time.

okay so illium has 23. Have you done Ops yet? Commendations are great and all, but gathering up the what, 14? 24? how many commendations?

Patience! Yes, right now, it is easier to get commendation gear than the crafting gear becaues commendations are more common than the crafters putting in the time. That will not remain the same. As people get tired of doing dailies for commendations, and more crafters come about with as good as (and eventually, better) op level gear, you -will- find crafting to be insanely important.

And you will be amazed at the amount of people who, when Raid night comes along, finds they are just a few commendations short of that new mod for that new item you got last night, and raid starts in 15 mins... guess who is going to be needed then!

okay so illium has 23. Have you done Ops yet? Commendations are great and all, but gathering up the what, 14? 24? how many commendations?

Patience! Yes, right now, it is easier to get commendation gear than the crafting gear becaues commendations are more common than the crafters putting in the time. That will not remain the same. As people get tired of doing dailies for commendations, and more crafters come about with as good as (and eventually, better) op level gear, you -will- find crafting to be insanely important.

And you will be amazed at the amount of people who, when Raid night comes along, finds they are just a few commendations short of that new mod for that new item you got last night, and raid starts in 15 mins... guess who is going to be needed then!

No...it's easier because it takes 1 hour of manpower for a Rank 23 level 50 epic mod, but it takes 10-12 hours of manpower, and money for a crafter to craft a Rank 22 level 49 epic mod.

I think it's still early to assess markets. I've noticed a big difference over the last few days on basic resource compounds and metals. Early on there was nothing available and random pricing. It's still in the early hours of a market, but I'm just starting to see parcels of crafting materials showing up. Once people include the market in their daily playing routine then they will start looking on it to buy more things as well.

If they were that disorganised, they would simply pull out the old 23mod and put it in the new item.

I know Operations at some point will yield plans which will be of use, I'm just...amazed at how little importance crafting is at entry level 50. Of course that can simply just being use to the system WoW used with entry level gear being on par and taking a similar time to get via crafting.

Of course the next few weeks will tell but looking at the trend, unless better plans are easily available, I don't see the problem sorting itself out...even with people being disorganised.