Idea: Group v. Group Duels

Sangrar

Basically I want to be able to test out my team of pvpers against another team of pvpers to prepare for ranked matches while not having to go through reg queue at the same time.

My idea is to allow groups to duel eachother, basically you just rightclick a character portrait and click on a "group duel" option that pops up when both you and another player are in seperate groups. Then it works like a regular duel, except with 8 participants instead of 2.

If someone gets down to 1 point from death like in a regular duel they are no longer allowed to participate in the combat but can heal up, watch, and do /cheer emotes while chat says "(insert name here) has been eliminated!"

and then naturally once one group eliminates all 4 members of a team have been eliminated, chat says "name1, name2, name3, and name4, have won a duel against name 5, name6, name7, and name8."

so what do you guys think would this be good? at the very least it gives teams for team ranked the ability to practice and learn how to coordinate better.

Basically I want to be able to test out my team of pvpers against another team of pvpers to prepare for ranked matches while not having to go through reg queue at the same time.

My idea is to allow groups to duel eachother, basically you just rightclick a character portrait and click on a "group duel" option that pops up when both you and another player are in seperate groups. Then it works like a regular duel, except with 8 participants instead of 2.

If someone gets down to 1 point from death like in a regular duel they are no longer allowed to participate in the combat but can heal up, watch, and do /cheer emotes while chat says "(insert name here) has been eliminated!"

and then naturally once one group eliminates all 4 members of a team have been eliminated, chat says "name1, name2, name3, and name4, have won a duel against name 5, name6, name7, and name8."

so what do you guys think would this be good? at the very least it gives teams for team ranked the ability to practice and learn how to coordinate better.

I have tried this a number of times before. I'll give you a hint, it awards rated comms and it's called "team ranked arenas".

They even keep stats for you and stuff. You're welcome

Edited by JP_Legatus

I have tried this a number of times before. I'll give you a hint, it awards rated comms and it's called "team ranked arenas".

They even keep stats for you and stuff. You're welcome

dude, serious answers please

would you honestly take a group you never played or practiced with before into team ranked?

then what is the point of team ranked if you aren't taking people you have worked with for deathmatch type situation before!? making sure no one leaves during the match to be a *****bag?

You asked about 4v4 duels. You can go with people you know or people you don't know. The completely empty arena queues amount to this and in today's swtor nobody is going to queue up to stop you.

Also, what is the point of queueing with people you DO know? There's no difference, both are 4v4. If someone leaves, play again with someone else.

• 5 months later...

I think this is a great idea. I was actually looking on the forums to find out if there was a way to do something like this. We hold pvp tournaments in my guild and it would be fantastic to be able to implement group, or team pvp tournaments of same faction same guild players.

I think at very least, a practice arena where you do not get comms, but you can go into with two seperate pre-determined set teams would go a long way toward group ranked as people would form teams that they can learn to work together with rather than jump in and face a team that has geled and get whiped.

GW2, at least when I played a year or so ago at launch, had something sort of like this. You can choose a specific pvp server to log in to, so people in my guild would all just choose a server and we'd have duels. Downside is anyone can choose any server to join, so we'd have randoms occasionally come in and start attacking, even though there were only 2 fighting and everyone else was just standing around eating popcorn or whatever. I agree that for the time being, Outlaw's Den is probably your best bet. Perhaps one day, but it would obviously require extra server space, and pvp servers just existing empty to allow for the occasional group duel to commence, and that's extra money being spent, so I doubt it.