Makeb Taxis - What's up with that???

Graydon

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low fps? Maybe try upgrading your CPU and/or GPU.

You have QT ability. Use it wisely.

Youtube limits to 30 fps... smart-***. That wasn't the point, but you know that since you quoted the point right beneath that.

In that case I have one advice to give to you: don't ever try EVE (40+ seconds just to align your freighter to next gate)

I used to play WWII online where it took up to 30 minutes to drive a tank from the barracks to the front line.

Doesn't mean it's a good system.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

meh, whey would I show anything but condescension to people I truly believe do nothing but damage the genre I have been apart of since its start?

Maybe you choose to be all fake and blah blah blah Khevar (actually you do, see it all over the forums in every thread) I choose to call it as I see it

As for insults, its not actually a insult if its true.

These kids (talking mentally not age) hurt this industry and have been hurting it for 20+ years.

This genre was originally designed on graphical immersion

Black Screens like the ones on Makeb taxis hurt immersion

Heck even EQ figured that out all those many years ago and put in loading screen fillers

It was best they could do at time because of tech level back then

Now a days there is no reason for black screen in a taxi ride

Other then kiddies complaining taxi rides take to long

Sorry if you dislike honesty but Im not going sugar coat something just to be politically correct and spare their delicate little feelings

I just say it truthfully and honestly

You know what really hurts these games? Narrow minded condescending people who have no respect for others points of view.

I have been gaming since "computer gaming" consisted of text adventures on a mainframe. My first "console" could play 3 types of PONG. The fade to black does nothing to break the immersion for me and it was a relief after the 3 minute taxi ride on Alderaan. So I am no "kiddie" with a lack of calm patience. I, and many others, are just people who see the game experience slightly different to you.

As to your "not an insult if it is true" comment, you are completely wrong. There are polite ways to address someones (true or just perceived) mistakes and deficiencies and there are rude and insulting ways. Terms like "retarded" and even racial epithets are technically true, no less insulting.

Edited by RandomXChance

I wished EVERY TAXI ON EVERY PLANET had fade to black just to speed stuff up!

It some times takes so long to use a taxi to another place that it is sometimes not even worth using it! (sometimes, not always)

This is absolutely true on Taris. Between certain outposts, the taxi makes such ridiculous detours and sidetracks so much that is actually faster to go on your own speeder in a straight line.

This is absolutely true on Taris. Between certain outposts, the taxi makes such ridiculous detours and sidetracks so much that is actually faster to go on your own speeder in a straight line.

This goes back to launch when taxi points were limited to A-B...you couldn't go from A-C, you needed to go from A-B, dismount at B, and then go from B-C. The current delay sucks, but it beats the old days.

i wish they all had fade to black taxis...in fact I wish they would open that up as an option. Not only is it quicker, it would likely cut down on server stress a bit.

I'd prefer the speeder option on Oricon, not sure if it's the same as Makeb (not tried the alt-z thing). Same thing I guess.

I like the taxi ride the first time or two on a planet, after that it just gets annoying when it's wasting stims / xp boosts etc.

And don't say the taxis are for immersion....the fade to black is immersion breaking.

I disagree. Get aboard the taxi, the driver says, "the flight will take two hours." So you close your eyes, take a nap, and two hours later you are roused by the driver saying, "wake up sunshine, we're here. And the by the way, you snore something awful." :)

Or as someone else pointed out, break out your romanced companion and make it the other fade to black.

The point is that immersion is in the eye of the beholder and plausibility plays a role. And it is not up to the game and/or the developers to define immersion.

Indeed.

But, seeing as there are two groups of players: one wanting scenic taxi rides and one wanting them shortened, I think the best solution would be making taxi rides skippable like conversations. Want to enjoy the scenery and watch players run around below you? Fine. Make yourself comfortable, hop in and enjoy the ride. Want to skip that long taxi ride because you've seen it a thousand times? Fine. Press <spacebar> and spawn at destination taxi terminal.

QoL improvement that benefits everyone. Win.

While I agree that doing so would please both groups, the question really is how large is the group that wants to "enjoy the scenery" all the time? If it is - as another suggests - a miniscule minority, then the ROI is not good enough.

Furthermore, one can enjoy the scenery right now...just stop and look around periodically.

As to the specifics of Makeb, as someone else already pointed out the areas between the mesas is little more than misty/foggy air...there is little to see in between the mesas. So the question to be asked is: would those who want to "enjoy the scenery" be willing to wait another six months for new content while they fill in that space with scenery?

Lastly, personally, I did enjoy the scenery the first time through, and even the second time through. But by the third time through my mentality switched to, "OK. Been there done that." And beyond that it became, "OMG do I really have to take this taxi AGAIN?" It became a question of: "OK I have two minutes left on my QT CD do I take the taxi or wait the two minutes?" 95% of the time I wait for the QT CD :eek:

Edited by psandak

This goes back to launch when taxi points were limited to A-B...you couldn't go from A-C, you needed to go from A-B, dismount at B, and then go from B-C. The current delay sucks, but it beats the old days.

Like still on Belsavis ? I hate that planet for its fragmented taxi-system.

And i hate Makeb because of their "fade to black".

The point is that immersion is in the eye of the beholder and plausibility plays a role.

I think this is a really good point.

One game that had long(ish) travel times that I really enjoyed was the GTA-inspired "Mafia" (about 12 years ago). Whenever the plot advanced with a new quest or mission, you had to get in your car and drive through the city to get to your destination. You could speed, but risked getting noticed by the cops. The setting was the 1930s, so the speed limit was pretty slow. Travel times were sometimes lengthy.

I know some people complained about traveling to one's mission objective that way, but I rather enjoyed it, largely because I was the one actually doing it -- in this case it added to my own personal immersion in the game.

In TOR, one thing that bugs me about the taxi speeders are some of the weird leaps of logic I have to make. My toon is the one driving it, but I can't steer or get off. I'm in a flying thranta, but I can't go North over the hills directly to my desination. Etc. All of these things damage "immersion" for me more than any fade-to-black on Makeb.

I will say, though, the speeder times aren't really a problem for me. Even the long one on Alderaan.

Edited by Khevar

This exact discussion occurred when Makeb was first released. Some people value feeling like Makeb is a big world, and seeing that world, over speed. Others just want to get to their dailies. As near as I can figure, it's around half and half.

It's the same discussion that occurs around many other things in the game that could be solved by giving us more control in the game settings. ie, a toggle for regular travel or fast, a toggle for turning informational combat effects off outside group combat. Not saying that would be trivial, but we know they have the code for both on/off in both cases, since we've seen both in game. Without choice, the loudest whiners at any given time create change. PVP flailing trumps PVE effectiveness and story immersion, speed trumps world 'reality' and the forums are in a neverending circle of personal attacks that really don't have to be so personal.

Edited by errant_knight

Thats really the point. Convenience vs immersion does not have to be the case in every discussion pertaining to either.

In this case, fade to black (or quicktaxi if you want to call it that) could be an option....quicker for those that wish to just get there, normal for those folks that enjoy the ride.

You have a toggle in the settings that allows quicktaxi and voila....both sides are happy, generally speaking.