Makeb Taxis - What's up with that???

Graydon

I finally decided to do some Makeb questing and adventuring.

The landscape is beautiful. Green mountains and blue skies.

One of my favorite experiences with the game is riding the taxis and enjoying the view of various planets.

So what the heck happened to Makeb Taxis????? Fade to black....seriously???

Lazy? Not enough $$$ and resources? What a disappointment. I would have gladly paid a few bucks for a complete planet. BW, are you seriously not collecting enough cash from your CM to fund a proper expansion? One that we pay for anyways?

I hope this is not the new norm for future expansions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally decided to do some Makeb questing and adventuring.

The landscape is beautiful. Green mountains and blue skies.

One of my favorite experiences with the game is riding the taxis and enjoying the view of various planets.

So what the heck happened to Makeb Taxis????? Fade to black....seriously???

Lazy? Not enough $$$ and resources? What a disappointment. I would have gladly paid a few bucks for a complete planet. BW, are you seriously not collecting enough cash from your CM to fund a proper expansion? One that we pay for anyways?

I hope this is not the new norm for future expansions.

I said the same thing my first time on makeb.....very lazy & disappointing imo

Many players have been calling for shortening/elimination of the overly long taxi rides since launch. You give one group what they ask for, and another calls you lazy game designers.

Can understand they doing it for convenience in Daily areas or inside Operations.

Planets however? Definitely lazy in my book.

That is called lazy design. And yes it is. Oricon is same

Lazy design?

One of the LOUDEST complaints from early game was the pace and long travel times from one taxi to the other. People were complaining alot about wasted time on a taxi moving from one point to the other. Add in the travel from one planet to the next (space port -> ship -> space port -> planet) and you spent a lot of time doing nothing. Which at the time was the point, you are a sub, slow down the pace so you spend more time in game doing less so you have to spend more time in general and thus extend the subscription.

Their solution quick travel from planet to planet (especially for dailies) and instant travel on taxies (much like QT points).

Now you state this is "lazy development' when that is what was, for lack of better terms, demanded. I guess it is true, you can't please everyone. So lets queue the "They don't listen to us" again for a change they implemented as a result of player feedback. I suppose ideally you would have a 'let us select fast/slow' travel which plausible, but takes away from something else being developed or makes other things take longer.

Please unless you know the story and reason, don't just assume you know what is going on.

Can understand they doing it for convenience in Daily areas or inside Operations.

Planets however? Definitely lazy in my book.

In my book, lazy is them not giving me the option to skip ALL planetary taxi rides. They looked nice the first couple of times, 2.5 years later it is just a time sink.

As to Makeb, it actually makes some logical sense. They are mesas sticking up out of the mist shrouded abyss below. There really is nothing to see in between individual mesas. I guess if you really wanted to watch your taxi take off, fly through the mist and then approach the next mesa.

In my book, lazy is them not giving me the option to skip ALL planetary taxi rides. They looked nice the first couple of times, 2.5 years later it is just a time sink.

As to Makeb, it actually makes some logical sense. They are mesas sticking up out of the mist shrouded abyss below. There really is nothing to see in between individual mesas. I guess if you really wanted to watch your taxi take off, fly through the mist and then approach the next mesa.

The issue is that Makeb already appears to be small and unlike other planets, it never feels like a planet at all but rather separated areas which are akin to daily areas. The instant Taxi rides merely reinforce that.

Makeb only felt like a planet to me around the time I went chasing that Endurance datacron. Walking around different mesas sure was fun.

The issue is that Makeb already appears to be small and unlike other planets, it never feels like a planet at all but rather separated areas which are akin to daily areas. The instant Taxi rides merely reinforce that.

Makeb only felt like a planet to me around the time I went chasing that Endurance datacron. Walking around different mesas sure was fun.

I consider Oricon a planet instead of a daily hub. It actually has a large story woven in with the quests that become your dailies. BH, Czerka and Sec X are not however.

Makeb is a traditional Planet and I hope we see more of it.

I consider Oricon a planet instead of a daily hub. It actually has a large story woven in with the quests that become your dailies. BH, Czerka and Sec X are not however.

Makeb is a traditional Planet and I hope we see more of it.

When the story is all over and done, it's just another daily area. Sure it's polished, sure it's far more well crafted and integrated than the stuff that came before but it's still just that.

Also, Oricon is actually a moon, not a planet.

I used to have high hopes that Bioware went for that kind of approach intentionally but then again, it's likely I was giving them way too much credit.

Oricon is a daily area, not a planet.

We already had instant taxi rides on some operations as well. In that regard, is not exactly Bioware's fault since people complained that walking around on EV and EC took way too long.

In other words, blame the player base, not solely the developer.

There's pretty much no negative change in this game that didn't come from players whining. If course. the same is true about some good changes--I just can't think of any right now ;) I hearby request that travel which makes us feel part of the game world return for the next applicable expansion, because nothing takes you out of the moment like a fade to black taxi. Ok, maybe the taxis on Voss that drop you out 10 feet above ground, but the fade to black is way worse.

Edited by errant_knight

When the story is all over and done, it's just another daily area. Sure it's polished, sure it's far more well crafted and integrated than the stuff that came before but it's still just that.

Also, Oricon is actually a moon, not a planet.

I used to have high hopes that Bioware went for that kind of approach intentionally but then again, it's likely I was giving them way too much credit.

So is Nar Shaddaa.. :p

Ilum, Makeb and Bel'Savis become Daily hubs afterwords too.

Please unless you know the story and reason, don't just assume you know what is going on.

Yes you really should follow your own advice...

If complaints over long taxi rides was the determining factor on the fade to black, why bother with a taxi station?

Why not just direct everyone to use fast travel? If FT is on cool down, then charge the taxi price.

And don't say the taxis are for immersion....the fade to black is immersion breaking.

So is Nar Shaddaa.. :p

Nar Shaddaa is an exception for... Well, obvious reasons.

Ilum, Makeb and Bel'Savis become Daily hubs afterwords too.

Belsavis has a standalone story preceding the dailies, not to mention a Bonus series that ALSO covers those dailies. Ilum was supposed to be a tutorial of sorts, to introduce players to the all dailies mechanism. Regardless, both planets are part of Vanilla TOR.

My earlier claim was related to the fact that whenever Bioware chooses to introduce a new daily area AFTER Vanilla, they choose a moon, not a planet.

I always assumed this to be intentional. Maybe I was wrong... 3.0, if it ever comes, will reveal it to me. :cool:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Nar Shaddaa is an exception for... Well, obvious reasons.

Belsavis has a standalone story preceding the dailies, not to mention a Bonus series that ALSO covers those dailies. Ilum was supposed to be a tutorial of sorts, to introduce players to the all dailies mechanism. Regardless, both planets are part of Vanilla TOR.

My earlier claim was related to the fact that whenever Bioware chooses to introduce a new daily area AFTER Vanilla, they choose a moon, not a planet.

I always assumed this to be intentional.

My point is all daily areas should be like Oricon in terms of story telling and progression. And if we could get 2 Makeb sized planets that would be spectatious as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

My point is all daily areas should be like Oricon in terms of story telling and progression. And if we could get 2 Makeb sized planets that would be spectatious as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

I could be wrong and time will tell if I am but...

It's kinda possible that 3.0 will be based around three planets, with Bothawui being one of them. There's a reason why Bothans were introduced early this year and we haven't heard ANYTHING ever since. That planet had a plethora of stuff, including class stories, just like Ziost and Sleyheron, which was a shared World.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're rearranging all those planets in order to remove any and all reference to class stories, while adding some other crap I can't think of

Again, speculations, assumptions, etc etc but even so, it's a best case scenario for me. The worse is getting only another Makeb.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Ok, this is totally sidetracking the lame fade to black taxis issue, but I actually wish that they'd keep story content and dailies separate. Story content on later characters would feel less repetitive if I hadn't done everything ten thousand times in dailies. Doesn't mean they can't be on the same planet (ie clack ho;d) but just repeating the same missions for dailies is a horrible idea. Efficient, but horrible. Edited by errant_knight

Yes you really should follow your own advice...

If complaints over long taxi rides was the determining factor on the fade to black, why bother with a taxi station?

Why not just direct everyone to use fast travel? If FT is on cool down, then charge the taxi price.

And don't say the taxis are for immersion....the fade to black is immersion breaking.

That would be because to use Quick Travel in the first place, you have to activate a bind point. Secondly, when Makeb was released the QT was on a longer cool down than it is now and that would not have been a good option. Adding an ability to use QT with an additional fee would have been adding a feature to the game (not a bad idea though) and therefore more design and programming. I am sure the devs were very happy to remove the taxi rides as players were asking. You mean they want us to do LESS work? Sweet, done!

That would be because to use Quick Travel in the first place, you have to activate a bind point. Secondly, when Makeb was released the QT was on a longer cool down than it is now and that would not have been a good option. Adding an ability to use QT with an additional fee would have been adding a feature to the game (not a bad idea though) and therefore more design and programming. I am sure the devs were very happy to remove the taxi rides as players were asking. You mean they want us to do LESS work? Sweet, done!

Okay fair enough. If the bind was not set for the QT, then charge the taxi fee. Bind once you get there for the free QT.

I love the Makeb taxi system in how it fades to black.

For those that hate the fade black, I have a question for you. If the fade to black was not there and you were on a far side of Makeb and your QT was on cool down, and you wanted to get to a Mesa right next to you, would you want to have to watch yourself fly all the way to some other mesa in the middle of the map and then almost right back to where you were because the Mesa's are not connected? I don't, as I have to put up with that same thing every time I am on Voss. There is one or two on Voss that are almost right next to each other, but you have to deal with 3 minutes of flying around the planet for what would be a 10 second ride on your mount if you could get over a stupid mountain.

For those that hate the fade black, I have a question for you. If the fade to black was not there and you were on a far side of Makeb and your QT was on cool down, and you wanted to get to a Mesa right next to you, would you want to have to watch yourself fly all the way to some other mesa in the middle of the map and then almost right back to where you were because the Mesa's are not connected? I don't, as I have to put up with that same thing every time I am on Voss. There is one or two on Voss that are almost right next to each other, but you have to deal with 3 minutes of flying around the planet for what would be a 10 second ride on your mount if you could get over a stupid mountain.

Correctamundo.

3 minutes? Are you serious? Didn't know it was a whole 3 minute ride!

Never mind everyone, please disregard this entire thread. 3 minutes...