Stopped playing in March, sub runs out in August, losing hope of more content..

Red_rocks

Any type of content isn't going to get it done. The casual content is fine, as many are casual players, but they've stretched themselves thin trying to do too much. GSF updates have been delayed, Strongholds were pushed back, there are no HMs of KDY/Tython/Korriban, and there have been no new Ops since DF/DP, with NiM Modes being released separately, and still remaining as content that a majority of players will never see.

On the PvP front: one new Huttball map is all that's been seen in over a year.

The rollout of content is paltry. MMOs are Immersion-focused, and they have a tendency to pull players in for extended playing periods. There needs to be content to keep them going, especially with some of the other issues this game faces. One major problem is that open-world PvP is abysmal. When groups host events, the lag around the area is a joke. Simple things like that can't be maintained because of the engine. There is nothing in the way of exploration in this game. If it doesn't pertain directly to a mission objective or a datacron, there's no reward for going out to the paltry edges of what is explorable just to see what's there.

All this game has is the content that is directly given to the player because it is 99.99% theme park. If Universal Studios and Disney did nothing but add in new rides and areas for five year olds for the next 10 years, do you think that people would just say, "Hey, it's new" and keep shelling out money? What is coming out does not offer enough to challenge or entertain a wide enough player base. As mentioned, what does it matter if KDY/Korriban/Tython are new, yet they offer paltry rewards and almost zero replay value outside of that other than achievements if checking all the boxes is your thing?

The new content rollout has been poor, period. Nothing that the tacticals offer is remotely on par with prior Flash Points; Kaon and Lost Island put them to utter shame. GSF is a niche game that hasn't even been kept up well enough to keep it's fans coming back. The Operations release schedule is horrid. PvP rollout is a joke. The availability of events is pretty horrid as well. Nightlife needs to be beefed up with an expansion/rotation of prizes and games, and the others need to be seen more often.

Defenders can say that content is fine all they want, but if the pace continues as is, this game will continue to lose subscribers.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly TUXs, I can't recall anyone ever using that as an excuse in any MMO I've played.

The Summer one however, I've seen plenty of times.

From people making excuses?

June and July are actually great months for video game sales, dwarfed by Nov/Dec for obvious reasons, but great vs. most times. There's a bump in sales over June/July...not a slump.

From people making excuses?

June and July are actually great months for video game sales, dwarfed by Nov/Dec for obvious reasons, but great vs. most times. There's a bump in sales over June/July...not a slump.

Really?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/news/2008-06/npd_may08_console_sales_trends_bgg.png&1=1

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/ea_s-digital-revenue-to-overtake-physical-in-2013e-1.jpg

http://gamerinvestments.com/video-game-stocks/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/npd-monthly-sales-03-2011.jpg

http://www.statista.com/statistics/201093/revenue-of-the-us-video-game-industry/

seems to me that it's not...

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Most of your quotes are console sales, i.e. hardware, not games as Tux mentioned. One of your links is about physical vs digital sales, which really has nothing to do with monthly sales of video games as a whole. Perhaps I missed what you were trying to point out though, or simply found the graph titles ambiguous, as they seem to point to console sales and not console game sales. Feel free to correct me.

Edited by Prototypemind

Most of your quotes are console sales, i.e. hardware, not games as Tux mentioned. One of your links is about physical vs digital sales, which really has nothing to do with monthly sales of video games as a whole. Perhaps I missed what if you were trying to point out though.

His point was that "June and July are actually great months for video game sales, dwarfed by Nov/Dec for obvious reasons, but great vs. most times. There's a bump in sales over June/July...not a slump."

He didn't specify "digital sales only" or "mmo's only"...

So there should be evidence for that in those charts anyway, regardless if it is only physical vs. digital sales shown or even just pure console sales.

My point is that in not one of those links (2 showing console unit sales, 1 showing EA's digital AND physical sales and one showing monthly revenue of the US video game industry) show any tendency for more sales in june and july, which is what he claimed.

Even if you discount the two console unit charts (since they are not about the games, but the actual consoles), it still shows that neither EA, nor the gaming industry as a whole in the US, show MORE sales in june and july compared to most other months.

THAT was the point. This so-called bump is minimal at best. People buy more video games in March and September than june-july. His claim is not accurate.

I have no idea why you're linking game CONSOLE sales, i thought he was talking about video game sales, you know...the actual games? You dun goofd

And your last link does show a bump in sales in june and july, like TUX said.

Edited by Elite-Defender

His point was that "June and July are actually great months for video game sales, dwarfed by Nov/Dec for obvious reasons, but great vs. most times. There's a bump in sales over June/July...not a slump."

http://www.statista.com/statistics/201093/revenue-of-the-us-video-game-industry/

Annnnnnd if you look at the link, you will see that there is a bump in sales over June/July on the whole US industry.

Even if you discount the two console unit charts (since they are not about the games, but the actual consoles)

Even though TUX was talking about the games, yes we will of course discount those charts.

it still shows that neither EA,

I don't remember TUX specifically talking about EA...

nor the gaming industry as a whole in the US, show MORE sales in june and july compared to most other months.

TUX never said the gaming industry as a whole in the US has more sales in june and july... if you actually read what he said, he said they are good months for sales, but dwarfed by the christmas period, and that there is a bump in sales over june and july. TUX is correct about this.

THAT was the point. This so-called bump is minimal at best. People buy more video games in March and September than june-july. His claim is not accurate.

That wasn't the point. His claim is accurate, and you even proved his claim for him. He said theres a bump in june and july, which means it's a great time for video game sales. Any bump is a good thing lol...

Protip: Read what the person is saying before you reply.

Edited by Elite-Defender

Annnnnnd if you look at the link, you will see that there is a bump in sales over June/July on the whole US industry.

Even though TUX was talking about the games, yes we will of course discount those charts.

TUX never said the gaming industry as a whole in the US has more sales in june and july... if you actually read what he said, he said they are good months for sales, but dwarfed by the christmas period, and that there is a bump in sales over june and july. TUX is correct about this.

That wasn't the point. His claim is accurate, and you even proved his claim for him. He said theres a bump in june and july, which means it's a great time for video game sales. Any bump is a good thing lol...

/QFT

Elite-Defender summed it up perfectly.

Thank you Elite-Defender! Great reply. I couldn't have done any better myself :)

And thank you Oddball for proving EXACTLY what I had said. June/July are NOT slow months and the charts you linked proved my statement. They also conveniently show how sales decline in August when the kids go back to school and the next round of excuses begins.

Edited by TUXs

I love when people throw that out like it means anything. You'll probably be the same guy telling us this fall that "school is back in session, obviously pops are down". Always an excuse.

Video game sales do not represent MMO populations.

Thank you Elite-Defender! Great reply. I couldn't have done any better myself :)

And thank you Oddball for proving EXACTLY what I had said. June/July are NOT slow months and the charts you linked proved my statement. They also conveniently show how sales decline in August when the kids go back to school and the next round of excuses begins.

Yes, there is the tinyest of bumps in june.

But your statement was "June and July are actually great months for video game sales, dwarfed by Nov/Dec for obvious reasons, but great vs. most times. There's a bump in sales over June/July...not a slump."

The charts of the videogame sales show that there a tiny bump in sales during june, but that's in the middle of a slump in sales lasting from march to september. It's about half of the sales compared to march or september.

It's the 8th on the list of revenue over the entire year. That's below the halfway mark.

There are 7 other months that have better sales than june. july almost shares a last place with may in 2012 ffs!

You cannot claim that june and july are great months for video game sales when they are 8th and 11th on the list of months. They are almost the worst months of the entire year.

June is only eclipsed by may in poor sales numbers. And june only beats out april, may, july and august. And that's just by a close margin.

But the fact that you look at that chart (this one) and still claim that you were right is why you cannot be reasoned with.

It is pretty clear on that chart that june and july are not "great" months for videogame sales. They are worse than average in fact.

EDIT: I'll even put it into a list for you.

During the year of 2013 the video games industry made this many billion dollars per month:

Jan: 0,84

Feb: 0,81

Mar: 0,99

Apr: 0,5

May: 0,39

Jun: 0,59

Jul: 0,44

Aug: 0,52

Sep: 1,08

Oct: 0,79

Nov: 2,74

Dec: 3,28

Ordered by best to worst, that would be: Dec, Nov, Sep, Mar, Jan, Feb, Oct, Jun, Aug, Apr, Jul, May.

When the months you refer to come in 8th and 11th, you don't get to call them "great" months for video games sales.

MMOs=games Reno ;)

But the discussions you were quoting were in regards to console and game sales not whether or not someone was subbed or playing an MMO (which was the original argument to you getting annoyed everytime someone said subs and players playing were always low during summer time and based on my own gaming experience this is true to which you would respond that they would just use that excuse during the fall which I disagree with.) ;)

Yes, there is the tinyest of bumps in june.

Ordered by best to worst, that would be: Dec, Nov, Sep, Mar, Jan, Feb, Oct, Jun, Aug, Apr, Jul, May.

When the months you refer to come in 8th and 11th, you don't get to call them "great" months for video games sales.

The point remains that "summer" is not accountable for the decline in players we've seen and school will be the reason people use in the fall to discount it again.

The point remains that "summer" is not accountable for the decline in players we've seen and school will be the reason people use in the fall to discount it again.

That's not what I'm arguing since I don't have any stats on that.

All I'm arguing is your claim that june and july are great months for video game sales.

Would you mind actually commenting on that instead?

Or did you mean "June and july are great months for MMO's" but just misspoke?

The "less people play during summer" argument is based mostly on feeling (both the ones arguing for it and those arguing against it) so I'm not arguing that.

That's not what I'm arguing since I don't have any stats on that.

All I'm arguing is your claim that june and july are great months for video game sales.

Would you mind actually commenting on that instead?

Or did you mean "June and july are great months for MMO's" but just misspoke?

The "less people play during summer" argument is based mostly on feeling (both the ones arguing for it and those arguing against it) so I'm not arguing that.

The spikes have more to do with release schedules of popular titles than anything.

Heeyy, just wanted to let y'all know that we are aware of these concerns and, while I can't spill the beans on info just yet, I can say that you should keep an eye out in the next few weeks for some juicy details! :jawa_biggrin:

Toodles~

Hillary

Thanks for the heads up. That said, Eric's already mentioned that we'd be getting more details about Strongholds around the last week of June, getting into July. That would be pretty soon. Has that changed?

Summer is a great time for more outdoor activity due to the warm weather, evenings with barbecue instead of sitting in front of a screen for example. There are final exams in school and at the university, after that, holidays with a lot of people going on trips for two or three weeks, because the whole family is able to travel around together, as the children have free time too.

All that leads to less people playing MMOs, or computer games at all. Summer sales try to prevent this to a certain degree but if the players have no free time or just aren't at home at all, it doesn't help much that they have this or that new game around to play. Cinemas have the same problem to some degree, and there are less blockbusters scheduled during the summer too.

In Germany there are six weeks school holidays during the summer, depending where in Germany you live these weeks start in late june, july or late august. In other european countries there are even eight or ten weeks holidays.

So those under 18 who are still in school first have their final exams and right afterwards a lot of free time, but usually they don't spend the whole six weeks at home, they travel around, enjoy the summerly weather outside, go to summer camps and stuff like that, preventing them from being online.

Adults playing MMOs who have kids, will also use the chance to travel with the whole family during the summer holidays. Large german corporations plan with one month downtime for a big maintenance during august every year, as most of their employees will take their leave during that time anyway to spend some time with family and kids.

Same with universities, the "free" time between two semesters is from July to September and for a lot of students it isn't even free, but full of exams or practical work.

That are many reasons not to be online in your favourite MMO for some weeks and as the holidays aren't at the same time for everybody, first this guy isn't there to tank, as soon as he is back home, the healer is away and so on. Making it hard to get togther a full and capable ops group.

New content may change that effect a little bit, but i don't know many players who would cancel their summer trip for a new content update. Especially as the summer trips are already booked in december or january, when nothing of a new content update for the summer is at the horizon yet.

And the gaming companies are also effected by the summer holidays, people taking their leave during that time, launching a major update with half the crew isn't a good idea and i don't think we as players would like content that is bugged for weeks, because the dev who could fix it is on his well earned holiday trip.

So if most of the players aren't there to enjoy and appreciate the new content and if a lot of the employees aren't there to fix things that could go wrong, why would it be a good idea to release major update during that time?

It is just a question of what will bring profit, if a new update isn't going to attract enough players and bring in revenue, no matter of the quality of the update, just because the release is at the wrong time when most players just do something else, the release will be delayed until the audience who will buy and pay for it is there for certain.