Easy fix for using mods in droid armor

Rusah

I see alot of complaints on the forum regarding droid companions not being able to be geared up like normal companions because of the slot name differances.

I think this is highly unfair, take for example the class that has a droid as a tank companion, they canot 180 it, but classes that have the same tank type in humanoid can.

All this balancing goes on with abilitys in order to keep things as even and fair as they can, but how is it balanced that some classes cannot gear up certain role types of companions as well as others. To me that seems like a major imbalance in calsses that needs correcting (note i use only healer comps so this is not something i want i just think it is unfair on certain class players).

Simply make the mod-able droid parts duel slot, for example sensor and head. This would not take much work as this feature already exists in the game.

On my merc i have Athiss Custom Holdout in both the main and offhand slots. If you hover over the item you see that it is listed as two slots, Mainhand (Ranged) & Offhand (Ranged).

Given it has already been done it is clearly already possible, and most likely would just require modifying the adaptive droid armors in the game the same way. This would put an end to this problem for good and make droids more viable.

I see alot of complaints on the forum regarding droid companions not being able to be geared up like normal companions because of the slot name differances.

[...]

Simply make the mod-able droid parts duel slot, for example sensor and head.

Its a good idea, keeping 4x, scorpio etc around in the end game and operating at their best.

This, do this. The Droids are much less useful than they should be, and Fourex is one of my favorite companions. Plus it would be awesome to see the Ship Droid kitted out in endgame gear, stomping things. Make this happen.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread as I like the OP's idea. Or if BW is *REALLY* lazy, they could just add the individual armorings to the ultimate/elite/basic vendors for say 20 comms a piece, BOP and already slot-locked (sensor, part, etc).

Droid companion gearing problem has persisted for far too long and staring at Scorpio and HK's 156 armorings with 172/180 mods/enhancements is getting old fast. The release of 3.0 is only going exacerbate the problem if BW doesn't lower the mats requirement for crafting 172/180 pieces.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

Bumping this thread as I like the OP's idea. Or if BW is *REALLY* lazy, they could just add the individual armorings to the ultimate/elite/basic vendors for say 20 comms a piece, BOP and already slot-locked (sensor, part, etc).

This seems like a more feasible suggestion than the topic creator's. I don't know if the coding can actually support bind on pickup slot locking, but if it can we would just simply see a short list of commando armorings on the list which are locked to core, motor, sensor, or parts. And that would be the end of that.

If they can't do something like that with the armorings individually, the other simple idea would be to just add a new vendor that sells custom droid parts fully (although probably horribly mismatched on the secondary stats (mod swap credit sink)) modded at the item levels for each tier of comms.

The suggestion at the start of the thread though... That seems like it would have a side effect of allowing us to equip droid parts to non-droids. Not going to happen. Sensor counts as both sensor and helm? Sure that would open it up to accepting an armoring ripped from a helm, but if the item classifies as a helm it can be equipped as one too.

Wait.... Actually... There's another technicality on top of that. Sometimes (not sure if it's guaranteed to always happen but I have seen it happen) a dual slot item (mainhand / offhand lightsaber / blaster) can be reclassified to match the slot locked hilt / barrel that's in it. So suddenly that mainhand / offhand is ONLY a mainhand. I think the same would happen with this droid part suggestion. Your droid sensor with a helm armoring in it would ONLY count as a helm. The droid would not be able to equip it as a sensor.

edit: It might not always update the text on the item to stop classifying it as both types but I'm pretty sure if you try to equip the one with the offhand hilt to the mainhand slot it will reject it.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

Why not just make the armorings have dual slot restrictions? No idea if it's technically possible, but it sounds easy enough.

E.g.

Commando Armoring 34

Bound

Head OR Sensor Unit

Set the armoring's type to both types when placed into either type of item? Either type on armoring must match a type that can be accepted by the shell when moving it to a new shell? Make sure that the shell's type can't be changed by the armoring (to avoid the problem I brought up)? Maybe...

Might be nice for binding issues with different types of offhands as well. (Have a barrel put into a knife or a shotgun become bound as both knife and shotgun. Wait... No... That still leaves them as a different classification from a blaster pistol offhand, doesn't it?)

Anyway will the rules then just be slightly looser for droid gear than they are for non-droid gear? I mean, droid gear shows the same images as some of the non-droid gear in the background of the modding window but they do not actually line up perfectly. Droids don't have a "core1" that can be "chest" and a "core2" that can be "legs". They're both just the same type of "core". Likewise for motors compared to gloves and boots, and for parts compared to belt and bracers. So you could theoretically place armorings out of two different chest pieces into two cores, and your droid will be able to equip them both. Is this acceptable or do they need to change the types on droid gear to distinguish those paired components from each other so that they can match the types up 1:1 between droid and non-droid gear?

Seems like the whole system could do with a rework. If they could make the restrictions be tied to slots instead of gear types, there wouldn't be any problems. Droids' slots would need to be classified (internally) as head, chest etc, but could still be visually labeled as they currently are. Same with the offhand stuff, Barrels would be tied to "Mainhand" and "Offhand" thereby able to be used on any offhand regardless of gear type.