Levelling a Tank - Compared to DPS?

Red_Eye_Jedi_

situational awareness

I can't remember how many times I've saved DDs on CZ from that patrolling elite droid. And it's just a simple daily...

you're best served DPSing through quests while respeccing for daily (non tactical) flashpoints as you level up (for faster pops & only genuinely valuable tanking experience pre 50)

Question is: do you really want to upgrade two sets of gear?

You have to remember that while it's ok as DD to upgrade your mods every 8 levels, as tank you should keep your gear within 4 levels of your characters level. Please, don't tell me you "tank" level 30+ FPs in DPS gear.

Edited by Halinalle

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just the reality of it. In no way is a DPS player + most likely healer comp "there-there" speed wise compared to a tank PC and most likely DPS companion "because heal downtime". Not by the time you get to the 3rd or 4th planet. You're lying to yourself and the OP.

You're making it seem like the speed difference is incredibly vast. I haven't found it so.

For starters, the combined damage output of a player tank + dps companion is more than a player dps + healer companion, largely due the fact that the healer tends to pull aggro on the mobs the player hasn't killed yet and spends time healing themselves (as well as the player) instead of doing much damage.

Now, resting between fights does make the tank player + dps companion slower, but not that much slower. You're overstating the difference, particularly when the vast majority of XP comes from quest turn-ins.

Which imo is: you're best served DPSing through quests while respeccing for daily (non tactical) flashpoints as you level up (for faster pops & only genuinely valuable tanking experience pre 50)

Are you saying it's faster to grind up two sets of gear? Or are you saying one should dps in tank gear? Or one should tank in dps gear?

Edited by Khevar

I'm just going to assume aeterno has no idea how to actually play the game and doesn't give a thought to the experience of others, because running levelling FPs in DPS gear is a crap thing to do to your group, and respeccing every time you get a FP pop as a tank is totally ridiculous. You could DPS in tank gear, but that leads to equal inefficacy.

Do whatever you want, people, but don't listen to aeterno, because it seems he hasn't got a clue...

The issue is that most classes who have heals are only given a DPS companion fairly late in chapter one; In some cases, only after the first chapter in fact.

Smuggler or Consular for example.

This is a boon, not an issue. Playing a healer with a dps companion is doable but a lot slower than using a tank companion with a couple of taunts, in mostly dps gear. Dps companions really don't put out that much more damage and they don't group taunt so all you really end up doing as a healer, is healing. Them and yourself (mostly yourself, you're essentially heal-tanking but offering 0 damage).

With a well geared tank, the do ok damage, and you've got breathing room to add some dps of your own as a healer.

The only thing faster is a dps class with some off heals (ie: scrapper/concealment) and a well geared tank companion. I liked Kaliyo's character, but I fell in love with her as a tank. The downtime between fights is often a single heal.

The hardest ever healer I ever tried to level was a Bounty Hunter. Because they get their first tank companion, at the end of Hoth.

As far as levelling Tanks I can only mimic the 'warrior/guardian' is a bore, issue. I never really cottoned to Assassin/Shadow tanks either, prefering to just go DPS and use a tank companion. I just find their skill set very dull to watch. The only Tank I got to 55 was a Bounty Hunter, and it was purely because they're fun to watch and play, even if you do so little damage.

Do whatever you want, people, but don't listen to aeterno, because it seems he hasn't got a clue...

I can understand his posts if he compares leveling Juggernaut/Guardian as tank to well geared DPS class. But that's like comparing Lada to Ferrari.

Edited by Halinalle