A question about custom(orange) gear

TwilightTeth

So my starter saber is of custom (orange) quality, and I have used it since i got it. I am currently 34. Now I am aware that we can continue to use this until endgame. My question is this: will this weapon still be as effective if i simply remove the mods in the raid gear or are there certain slots within the raid gear/ tier gear that are not present on normal custom quality gear.

I ask as I love the look of the hilt and the robes that i currently have and the endgame armor from the progression vid simply doesnt appeal to me.

Thank you in advance for any information.

I'm sure that you can remove any mods in new armor/weapons and put them into your custom one :) that's what I've been doing for items I like the look of! I don't think people realize this is to some extent a way of doing the "create your own look" instead of having a "style" pane

As far we know, atm, raid gear has no some extra slots for mods. So no stats missed if you hold on to yours current gear. So feel free to roll to that "Epicnezz 30 000" -chest, rip it apart and put those modes into yours "Obi-Wan 'Plain' Kenobi" -chest.

I know I will :D

As far we know, atm, raid gear has no some extra slots for mods. So no stats missed if you hold on to yours current gear. So feel free to roll to that "Epicnezz 30 000" -chest, rip it apart and put those modes into yours "Obi-Wan 'Plain' Kenobi" -chest.

I know I will :D

Raid gear has mods that you can't remove, though.

Some orange gear has an augment slot though so all orange gear is not created equal. Furthermore, I was just comparing some orange armor drops the other day before I had to leave on vacation...didn't get a chance to study them in great detail, but I swear that even though both were medium armor, one had a higher base level effectiveness rating than the other and so they didn't come up with the same stats even though they had the same mods in them.

didn't get a chance to study them in great detail, but I swear that even though both were medium armor, one had a higher base level effectiveness rating than the other and so they didn't come up with the same stats even though they had the same mods in them.

The armoring rating will will modify the armor value as an absolute, it doesn't add on to the existing item's stats. That is to say, if the armor has a base rating of 12, and you install an armoring mod that provides 40 armor, the total armor should be 40 not 52.

As far as seeing a discrepancy between two items with the exact same mods, that's part of the delay in tooltip updates from beta. The fix is to reload your UI (control U twice), zone, or equip it/unequip it a few times.

Similarly, immediately after acquiring a new ability, if you mouseover the button it may show the older rank even though it has actually updated. Again, zoning or reloading the UI will force the tooltips to update.

The best explanation of gear and the way it works:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/some-clarifications-item-modifications

-Kai-Lunn