Bioware Are You Serious? I think you are playing with my emotions *Dev Needed*

JourrnoRush

Here I am on general fleet just waiting for an ops to form, then a wild gold farmer appears.

No problem, I'm ready, I've been training for this day for many months.

However, something horrible happens....and I mean HORRIBLE

My ignore list is full.

"ERROR: You cannot ignore anymore players"

I can understand someone having a limit on friends or even guilds, because popularity should have a limit. I get it.

But you are telling me that people who HARASS, USE RACIAL SLURS, SELL YOUR TRADEMARKED PROPERTY, STEAL FROM OTHER PLAYERS, ETC. should not be ignored but free to continue? Its obvious reporting DOES NOTHING because I see them running around fleet still. Ignore helped to keep my chat clear and avoid reading some of the most nastiest bigotry.

I hear you Bioware,

"Just ignore them and file a ticket."

Nope can't ignore them anymore, ran out of room.

"Clear out some of your ignore list, not everyone can be a credit farmer, racist, scammer, etc."

Nope, I put them on ignore for a reason.

Don't worry though, I have a proposition to fix this versus whine.

MAKE IGNORE LISTS EXPAND PERHAPS IGNORING AN ENTIRE LEGACY BECAUSE I'M NOT GOING TO FORGIVE A RACIST, A GOLD FARMER, A 15-30 YEAR OLD WHO WANTS TO BANG MY MOM/DAD/GF/BF, PEOPLE WHO TRY TO SCAM/STEAL FROM OTHER PLAYERS, AND OTHERS WHO THINK IT IS FUNNY TO SPAM A CHAT.

Edited by JourrnoRush

When you load into an area of the game, all the data associated with you, including your ignore list, also loads. Unlimited ignore list would mean everything would load slower everywhere for everyone.

Accounts that are in regular violation and are regularly reported get banned, so there is no need for a infinite list.

That said, I do support them increasing the right click report options for more channels making it easier to report players for by the type of behaviour issue.

When you load into an area of the game, all the data associated with you, including your ignore list, also loads. Unlimited ignore list would mean everything would load slower everywhere for everyone.

Accounts that are in regular violation and are regularly reported get banned, so there is no need for a infinite list.

That said, I do support them increasing the right click report options for more channels making it easier to report players for by the type of behaviour issue.

Infinite ignore lists would make the game really slow, making it "SWTOR, the game that "requires a really good processer"

Easier fix. Since getting thicker skin is not an option, turn off your chat. No dev fix needed.

Nope. Nice try though. Turning off chat would let these immature individuals get what they want and wouldn't solve the problem. Expanding the ignore list would be a better fix.

Thicker skin. I guess I shouldn't let "N" words, slurs towards homosexuals, and other disgusting words about race, creed, or orientation get to me. . .

Infinite ignore lists would make the game really slow, making it "SWTOR, the game that "requires a really good processer"

Yeah infinite ignore lists might make the game slower

However, expanding the list would be better. I've edited it in agreement.

question. do banned characters (like, say gold sellers whose accounts were banned) get removed automatically? it would solve the issue of the list filling up too quickly at least partially. banned account should have all the characters on them be deleted. and deleted characters should be removed from friend/ignore lists. becasue if they don't - they should be.

Nope. Nice try though. Turning off chat would let these immature individuals get what they want and wouldn't solve the problem. Expanding the ignore list would be a better fix.

Thicker skin. I guess I shouldn't let "N" words, slurs towards homosexuals, and other disgusting words about race, creed, or orientation get to me. . .

Please explain how you turning off chat gives the immature what they want but you putting them on ignore does not. What is it that those people want exactly? Every idiot that yells out HODOR!! or inserts Jawa into a movie title I put on ignore as well as people in PUG groups I would rather not have to deal with again in addition to every single spammer. Those that use offensive language (especially racial comments) get reported as well as getting put on ignore with me. I have yet to max out my ignore list.

This tells me that it is probable that you get offended way too easy and that a general chat channel in an online game is probably not for you. Therefore the best solution is already available in the game which is to disable general and only talk to your guild.

Please explain how you turning off chat gives the immature what they want but you putting them on ignore does not. What is it that those people want exactly? Every idiot that yells out HODOR!! or inserts Jawa into a movie title I put on ignore as well as people in PUG groups I would rather not have to deal with again in addition to every single spammer. Those that use offensive language (especially racial comments) get reported as well as getting put on ignore with me. I have yet to max out my ignore list.

This tells me that it is probable that you get offended way too easy and that a general chat channel in an online game is probably not for you. Therefore the best solution is already available in the game which is to disable general and only talk to your guild.

I'm not sure which server you play on, but the server I play on has maybe 5-8 credit spammers a day. Instant ignore.

Couple that with the infamous pvp crowd (which i'm proud to be part of despite the lovely interactions) and the occasional racist or person who uses "******, eat a dick, etc. to describe something" and yeah you will have a lot of ignored people.

The issue isn't that I'm offended easily, the issue is that these individuals get ignored but all they have to do is hop on an alt and get back into it. There is a line that I draw when it comes to ignoring. Calling people slurs is a line that is completely inappropriate and the ToS states this also.

Ignore for a whole legacy/account would be ideal, because it is usually the same person on that legacy.

The other poster who raised if an account is deleted do they get removed from my ignore? I would hope so, but I doubt it.

We have safeguards (Ignore) to prevent people from reading the disgusting stuff that gets onto chat and other related player behaviors. When the ignore ceases to be working, what do we do? Should I unignore the ninja looter to put the credit farmer on ignore? The racist for the ninja looter?

I see your point of thinking "oh come on you get offended too easily" and perhaps I shouldn't view the "N" word and other slurs so seriously. Its still a very disgusting and inappropriate use of language in any forum, whether it be gaming or in real life. Though I know for a fact, most people in this game wouldn't do half the things in real life (racism, stealing, spamming, etc) but they can here because its hidden. Heck, some might even be roleplaying being a bigot.

Players who get offended by clear ToS issues should be able to avoid those players. When ignore does not work, what should happen? Reporting, sure. Though, I'd rather ignore across a legacy and see those removed from the ignore list when/if they are banned from the game. The problem is that there will always be immature individuals who enjoy being racist behind a computer. The bigger problem is that there is a limit to how many of those players you can ignore.

You shouldn't let it get to you. It doesn't matter how many people you try to ignore, there will always be another and another.

Just skip over them and pay them no mind. I mean seriously it isn't a hard thing to do. People worry too much about what's in chat when they should be focusing on more important things.

You shouldn't let it get to you. It doesn't matter how many people you try to ignore, there will always be another and another.

Just skip over them and pay them no mind. I mean seriously it isn't a hard thing to do. People worry too much about what's in chat when they should be focusing on more important things.

You can't be serious. General chat helps a lot of people get what they need done in the game (ops, trading, pvp). Focusing whats in chat is part of the game, but if someone is lighting it up with clear ToS violations you ignore/ report them. What do you do when ignore is no longer an option? You can only file spam/inappropriate player behavior tickets so many times and that seems a waste of time also.

I really suggest Bioware expands the ignore function via legacy wide ignore or removing deleted accounts. I think deleted friends get removed already.

You can't be serious. General chat helps a lot of people get what they need done in the game (ops, trading, pvp). Focusing whats in chat is part of the game, but if someone is lighting it up with clear ToS violations you ignore/ report them. What do you do when ignore is no longer an option? You can only file spam/inappropriate player behavior tickets so many times and that seems a waste of time also.

I really suggest Bioware expands the ignore function via legacy wide ignore or removing deleted accounts. I think deleted friends get removed already.

I don't put people on ignore. I just laugh it off and go about my business. I would recommend you do the same. If you want to use Gen chat for help, then do so. Pay the stuff that bothers you no mind and you'll be fine...

Betting this is what would happen if BW put in an account wide ignore function. They would keep the list the same length to prevent slowdown. If you ignore someone you suddenly get that toon and 8 other toons added to your ignore list causing it to fill up even faster. Spammers would figure this out and then make as many characters as they could before starting their spam sessions so that it would make the ignore function less likely to be used.

Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by HelinCarnate

Legacy wide ignore would help and I'd like to see that implemented. If I ignore someone after an FP because they suck then I would really like to ignore all their alts too.

A larger ignore list could cause performance issues so I'd suggest that if someone is banned they get automatically removed from the list. That should at least remove the gold sellers.

Unlimited ignore list would mean everything would load slower everywhere for everyone.

Crap code is crap. Any competent developer should be able to design a performant blocking feature that can handle an ignore list with several thousand entries. If they've cheaped out on the servers that processing can be offloaded to the game clients.

Betting this is what would happen if BW put in an account wide ignore function. They would keep the list the same length to prevent slowdown. If you ignore someone you suddenly get that toon and 8 other toons added to your ignore list causing it to fill up even faster. Spammers would figure this out and then make as many characters as they could before starting their spam sessions so that it would make the ignore function less likely to be used.

Be careful what you wish for.

I've advocated for account-wide Ignore, but confess I never considered this possibility. I guess I just assumed they could program it in a way that 1 account = 1 Ignore. But if you're right, it would be an issue. Anyone who Ignored me would get an instant 16 names added to their list. That would include crafting and bank alts I don't even play and, thus, would never cause offense.

Sounds like you use your ignore function far too liberally if you've gotten to that point where you can't add more... I ignore credit sellers manually, I let silly "jawa wars" just continue, (everyone has those silly moments time and a again.) I only put on ignore ******es, and political upstarts.

If everyone and their mother bothers you on the fleet, you should spend as little time on the fleet. Get a GTN terminal, guild bank, vendor, etc on your ship, stop by for dailies on fleet and get out or shut your GC off.

I've advocated for account-wide Ignore, but confess I never considered this possibility. I guess I just assumed they could program it in a way that 1 account = 1 Ignore. But if you're right, it would be an issue. Anyone who Ignored me would get an instant 16 names added to their list. That would include crafting and bank alts I don't even play and, thus, would never cause offense.

I give their developers at least enough credit to assume that if they do add an "Account Ignore" feature that they'd implement it so that it only takes one entry.

People really can't read original posts it seems. I choose to ignore clear violations of ToS. Jawa Wars, political debates, etc are not offensive. If you can't handle opposing views or Star Wars fans nerding out in a general chat then you have other issues.

Ignoring the racists, harassers, and credit sellers is not a liberal use, but I would hope common sense. Then again I forgot how the community could be.

I'd really think an improvement to the ignore function would be better for all players. Every other day there is a post about harassment or credit sellers.

Then move that data client side...it's freaking chat...I highly doubt it's complicated for a team who was able to create GSF.

It sounds like the op needs to play a new character with a fresh ignore list. Or transfer to another server.

or just clean out the ignore list. i'm sure many of those on his list are gold spammers that have been gone for a very long time. and ignoring someone a year ago for a random chat doesn't mean said person is still around or will repeat same phrase, you can always ignore them again.

Simple things are hard apparently.

I hear you Bioware,

"Just ignore them and file a ticket."

Back in my day, we did 3 things:

1) We would only be in the city long enough to do what could not be done anywhere else. There is very little on fleet you cannot do, see, or buy, from other locations. Pick a new "stand around and pick my nose" spot other than fleet.

2) /Report is far more effective than /Ignore. Once reported, and banned, you never have to worry about THAT name again. Which means you can save the list for people who just never seem to get banned.

3) Go on about your day. You are not buying the creds, you are not encouraging others to buy, and you cannot filter it for everyone. So, do what you need to do to get ready, and then go wait in your ship. Odds are you are in Mumble/Vent/Whatever anyway just waiting for the OP to form. Sitting on fleet is only exacerbating the issue.

To this day, I still use those steps and my ignore list is EMPTY.