Disabling Double XP: A Working Toggle

Superman_AZ

Personally, I am never in favor of such a thing, just because it sounds silly. It's like hearing there was double cash back, but you don't want the double, just the single cash back rate. Will never understand it. That said, I've been checking out other games who offer a similar Double XP gain, and their fans asking for some sort of toggle to reduce it back to regular xp just for them.

After looking at 12 different games, I've seen ALL of them have a Double XP offer of some sort, but no real toggle to "disable" the double XP. It makes me curious if such a toggle is even possible, or, worth the time and resources to develop. I get it, some folks want to turn off the XP boost during certain events and not over level the zones, while others are just beating down the doors for the next weekend to arrive.

In the 2 years this game has been running, and the multiple years of other similar games, has anyone ever seen an option to throttle back XP gain? I know you can turn it off entirely, and lock your XP where it stands, but has anyone ever seen an XP throttle in another MMO that worked the way the requested toggle might? By reducing the XP gained during those special event weekends? Has there ever actually been a gold response about this feature?

i believe lotro has something you can buy which doesnt give you any xp when you use it. Iv never used it however. Ive never heard of a toggle though to lower xp and probably not worth the effort

I dont personally like 2xp weekends in this game because leveling is so fast and im already overleveled when going to planets but i i understand im in the minority and its popular when they do it.

After looking at 12 different games, I've seen ALL of them have a Double XP offer of some sort, but no real toggle to "disable" the double XP. It makes me curious if such a toggle is even possible, or, worth the time and resources to develop.

Of course it's possible. The client allows you to change various options which the server uses to modify the behavior of the game (eg. auto-decline). The rested xp feature, subscriber bonus xp, xp boost items, double xp events and variable guild xp bonus feature demonstrate that they have the capability to adjust xp in a variety of different manners. In other words, it doesn't require engineering a whole new system to support it.

The implementation would need to add a configuration option or options depending on how fine-grained it needs to be (disable all bonus xp, vs. disable just double, guild, rested or some combination). Then code needs to be added to make the application of those boosts conditional based on the options selected. There are some engineering decisions to be made (how do you handle the consumables?).

It's not a huge development effort but it could involve office or design politics and that can get a bit sticky. My guess is that the devs consider it a low priority item that only a few people want. I disagree with the "few" part. This sort of QoL feature would be awesome to synchronize levelling between subs and non-subs, guilded and non-guilded people.

Personally, I am never in favor of such a thing, just because it sounds silly. It's like hearing there was double cash back, but you don't want the double, just the single cash back rate. Will never understand it. That said, I've been checking out other games who offer a similar Double XP gain, and their fans asking for some sort of toggle to reduce it back to regular xp just for them.

After looking at 12 different games, I've seen ALL of them have a Double XP offer of some sort, but no real toggle to "disable" the double XP. It makes me curious if such a toggle is even possible, or, worth the time and resources to develop. I get it, some folks want to turn off the XP boost during certain events and not over level the zones, while others are just beating down the doors for the next weekend to arrive.

In the 2 years this game has been running, and the multiple years of other similar games, has anyone ever seen an option to throttle back XP gain? I know you can turn it off entirely, and lock your XP where it stands, but has anyone ever seen an XP throttle in another MMO that worked the way the requested toggle might? By reducing the XP gained during those special event weekends? Has there ever actually been a gold response about this feature?

It should be something buy from the cartel market that turns is off for 1 - 3 hours. :D

It should be something buy from the cartel market that turns is off for 1 - 3 hours. :D

Maybe some "debuff" token. So instead of a token that would give you double, like the ones you can currently get in the CM, this would be a token that would only allow you to earn at 50% XP instead of 200% XP. I could see that as feasible. Then, if people REALLY don't want the Double XP, they can pay to avoid it.

Not to knock your idea but I don't think they would see this as a good investment as Double XP weekends can be scarce, throughout the year. If Double XP was once a month I could see them trying to prioritize in an effort to ma profit on the store for an optional debuff.

Again not trying to shoot you down, just stating how I see it.

Not to knock your idea but I don't think they would see this as a good investment as Double XP weekends can be scarce, throughout the year. If Double XP was once a month I could see them trying to prioritize in an effort to ma profit on the store for an optional debuff.

That's the whole thing with me. At least it wasn't that often - only during the month prior to ROTHC release where they ran it every weekend was it a problem for my playstyle. And thusly, once again, with the "Summer of SWTOR" where we are getting two months of the nonsense (to me, it is nothing like double cash back - it's more like a double helping of spinach, which makes me violently ill, thrown on top of my Hot Fudge Sundae). Essentially, unless there is a way to disable it, I will be taking the summer off for swtor and playing other games - and probably cancelling both subbed accounts for the first time ever as a result since this is such an extended period of time that I won't be playing.

Edited by TravelersWay

Nice research! My guess is that your answer is in this part...because so few players want something like this, I doubt it's worth the Devs time to add it. They want you to play at level cap and get addicted to the things you can do at end game, not just while leveling.

Nice research! My guess is that your answer is in this part...because so few players want something like this, I doubt it's worth the Devs time to add it. They want you to play at level cap and get addicted to the things you can do at end game, not just while leveling.

Quite logical and correct for most MMOs, as well. Most of the time, the leveling is just the grind to get to the "good stuff" at end game. However, the bonus (or drawback perhaps in this case) with SWTOR is that the leveling game is the best part of the game, and hence why there is a segment of the community who does not wish to rush through it - regardless of how many times they have completed it thus far.

You cant have looked too hard, or is it that you didn't look at all?

Most don't offer it as its not needed in the first place. The reason for this is because they don't thrust it onto the player base, they instead, make the people wanting the extra XP interact with an NPC or console to recieve their buff, or mail out an item that needs to be used to receive the buff.

Quite simple really. :rolleyes:

I agree completely. I just see enough QQ around here (again vocal minority in a forum) about free Double XP, I just figure if it means THAT MUCH to them, BW could make a 50% item and then sell it for $. It's a win, win. They profit, and people who hate things for free (like Double XP) can PAY to avoid them :)

You cant have looked too hard, or is it that you didn't look at all?

Most don't offer it as its not needed in the first place. The reason for this is because they don't thrust it onto the player base, they instead, make the people wanting the extra XP interact with an NPC or console to recieve their buff, or mail out an item that needs to be used to receive the buff.

Quite simple really. :rolleyes:

EQ, GW2, Rift, Aion, WoW, Runes of Magic, LotR, STO, Wildstar, ESO, D&DO, and a handful of others are all popular MMORPGs who do not have such a toggle. So either it is not needed, or it is just not doable. For the minimal amount of time we get Double XP, and the 20 people who hate it, it is unlike BW really cares enough to do something no other MMORPG has. I prefer how BW does it and you don't have to keep adding the buff for XP every 60 mins.

Edited by Superman_AZ

the leveling game is the best part of the game, and hence why there is a segment of the community who does not wish to rush through it - regardless of how many times they have completed it thus far.
Because plowing through trash MOBs to get to the actual cutscene story that still plays out normally even if you're 54 levels above it is the best part of the game?

There's already one in place. It's called spending the weekend with family and or friends.

Not really clever, nor relevant to the topic of discussion. We are discussing a physical toggle allowing you to reduce your gained XP to 50%, instead of 200%. I do, however, get what you are saying, and have thoughtlessly shared the same sentiment on more than one occasion. Some people have different views of play.

Well, if you checked out LOTRO, then you're familiar with the Stone of the Tortoise item, which stops all XP. And, yes, I can assure there are plenty of players in Middle-earth who use the item (myself included) for a variety of reasons. So, to answer your specific question, no, I am unaware of any game that allows the player to toggle just the bonus XP on or off. But with even a modicum of forethought, anyone can use an XP-blocking item to accomplish what you propose.

Were I concerned with over-leveling due to Double-XP (and an item such as the SotT was available), all I'd have to do is be aware of when I had it equipped. Perhaps I'd leave it off while completing missions (i.e., killing stuff and whatnot), but equip it for the turn-in to avoid the biggest impact of DXP ... double mission XP rewards. That seems like it would balance out okay.

But sure, if they are going to add such an item, they can make it idiot-proof by setting it to block 50% of XP (thus, rendering "Double XP Weekend" into "Half-Double XP Weekend"). Not that I'm advocating this idea. As someone in the process of leveling alts in classes I really detest playing, I relish DXP and squeeze all the succulent nectar of DXP I can when I can. Whatever pushes me to the conclusion of the Trooper and Marauder stories works for me.

As with most other changes proposed in these forums, adding this feature would not affect me. So, I'm willing to support it, if ... and only if ... they deliver this change in the same update that gives me appearance tabs.

As with most other changes proposed in these forums, adding this feature would not affect me. So, I'm willing to support it, if ... and only if ... they deliver this change in the same update that gives me appearance tabs.

Ah yes, the catch ;) Absolutely. I think we can certainly charge people 400CC for 50% XP token, and 700CC for an appearance tab.

Ah yes, the catch ;) Absolutely. I think we can certainly charge people 400CC for 50% XP token, and 700CC for an appearance tab.
At 700 CC per appearance tab, I hope they let me buy more than one per character. On LOTRO, I have seven per guy and still could use more. I'd likely start with at least three or four per character in SWTOR.

Do you see this, EA? Rich idiot here willing to drop 2000-3000 CC per character (times 15 characters) for appearance tabs. I'm opening my wallet ... don't you want my money? Please, take it. Take it all.

Edited by Thoronmir

What possible reason could people not want double xp for?

I can think of a few reasons. Maybe they're leveling a character with someone else and want to stay on track, but one of them decides to run some FPs to farm comms during DXP. Maybe they just want to experience planetary missions for the umpteenth time and still make them challenging. Maybe they have a fear of "completion" and believe that reaching 55 is the end of the game (I suffer from this a little ... I always get a little melancholy as I close in on the finish of a class story). I'm sure I could conjure some more.

And, sure, there are other ways around the problem (e.g., DON'T run FPs without your leveling partner; remove gear and run missions solo without a companion; get over yourself and realize that every good book you've read or movie you've seen ends ... I have to tell myself this one a lot).

I, for one, don't shun DXP, but I don't care if other players want to. Hell, I'll agree to anything that gets me closer to appearance tabs.

And, sure, there are other ways around the problem (e.g., DON'T run FPs without your leveling partner; remove gear and run missions solo without a companion; get over yourself and realize that every good book you've read or movie you've seen ends ... I have to tell myself this one a lot).

And herein lies the problem people have with development resources being spent on selective disabling of 2XP: There are simple ways around whatever problems you have with 2XP that are 100% within your (as a player) control that do not require developers to stop working on things that improve the game for thousands of players so that they can spend time re-working the 2XP system to accommodate a dozen or so people who get bent out of shape because they aren't required to slog through every torturous thing in the game (again) for the roughly 5% of the year when the VAST MAJORITY of the player base gets to enjoy a huge boost to the rate of XP gain.

I would imagine the 2XP boost is the result of a global variable in the XP calculation formula so it's a "relatively" simple task to have the event change that variable from 1x to 2x.

On the other hand, they would probably have to significantly re-work the system to make it "2x except for bob, and mike, and bill, and sally, and john, and jane, and dave"

Yeah, they could probably make some sort of "anti-boost" item that would alter the calculation based on the presence of a buff the way the current boosts work, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that they'd actually had meetings about such an item and decided that it would be so unpopular as to be a waste of time to pursue.

So, yeah, it's a computer program and whatever you want to do with it is almost certainly possible but because demand for something like this is negligible, the time required to implement it would be better spent on things that are of benefit to all but the extreme fringe of players.

On the other hand, they would probably have to significantly re-work the system to make it "2x except for bob, and mike, and bill, and sally, and john, and jane, and dave"

I've outlined the effort needed. The only "significant" effort is likely convincing the UI guys to add another checkbox or set of checkboxes. Unless the codebase is an utter mess, it shouldn't require major surgery.

While I love all the XP boosts when I'm solo, when I'm not it would be nice to synchronize my xp gain to the rest of my levelling group. The problem is that if the level spread is too much, those who are behind suffer an additional xp reduction. Even with all the boosts enabled and being religious about minimizing rested xp, subs without any boost are still going to outlevel non-subs.