New medal suggestion for PVP: Sacrificer

Xtremophile

Since so many players rightfully complaining about PVP in SWTOR, as in this thread, I wanted to offer my thoughts for the community to at least start a productive communication instead of ranting carnival.

This is one of the suggestions I made in linked topic:

[ Also, there may have additional medals for solely supporting the team instead of making the highest damage or taking the most kill for we have enough already. [NEW MEDAL] An example would be for taking damage for the team and it may be titled "Sacrificer". It is simply whatever the amount of damage taken in a match both ranked and regs. Make it achiavable when you play for the objective, or simply make the number big to obtain.Since noone wanna die, noone would dare abusing it for it would be counter-productive.

In addition, damage taken count may be shown in the chart after a match ends.

EDIT: So be it, getting hit a big number without dying while you're into objectives.

My intention in this suggestion is to buff pvp tanking that is dying in swtor, with a simple medal while offering the benefit to both dps and healer roles. Supporters win so everybody win. Maybe it draw more attention to pvp too, who knows?

Edited by Xtremophile

Haha, are you the same guy that suggested medals be given for casting cc's and defensive cooldowns about a month or so ago? Getting hit isn't an "achievement" nor anything to be proud of/rewarded for.

Btw, you can see Damage Taken if you hover over your Deaths count in the scoreboard.

Edited by HeatRacer

Haha, are you the same guy that suggested medals be given for casting cc's and defensive cooldowns about a month or so ago? Getting hit isn't an "achievement" nor anything to be proud of/rewarded for.

No I am not.

And for anyone who's up for supporting the team, and getting hit "for the team" is... Because if you read the whole thing, i said "be it while you protect a node, etc". And don't hink getting hit like 1k dmg, i said make the number big. So be it, getting hit a big number without dying while you're into objectives.

Previous topic had a discussion, read it:

Why do you pvp if you don't like competition? Makes no sense.

Yes, pvp is competitive by nature but is also a "team work" which means helping the noobs in your team for everyone's sake is better for the team. The trouble is, over-competitive people treat all as if this is military, or worse; They resemble to bad middle school coaches who just want to make it up for their bad lives, in games.

So maybe this medal leads people into supporting their team instead of being number addicted.

Edited by Xtremophile

You never saw that Legacy Achievement that you get when you get killed 10 times or so in a row in a single War Zone ?

:D That.

And for tanks, getting the most hits is "the" issue in pvp, since you cant really taunt a player into attacking you.

Edited by Xtremophile

:D That.

And for tanks, getting the most hits is "the" issue in pvp, since you cant really taunt a player into attacking you.

Normally one tends to focus the guy hitting your healer which is normally one of a dozen sents who still pvp per server, so I strongly support the Medal;-)

No I am not.

And for anyone who's up for supporting the team, and getting hit "for the team" is... Because if you read the whole thing, i said "be it while you protect a node, etc". And don't hink getting hit like 1k dmg, i said make the number big. So be it, getting hit a big number without dying while you're into objectives.

So maybe this medal leads people into supporting their team instead of being number addicted

You already get medals for protecting a node. And while there is an Achievement for dying X # of times, it's still not something you're rewarded for in the warzone, nor should it be. That just encourages knuckleheads to go charging in to eat damage so they can earn medals, herp-derp. If you're playing well, you should actually be taking LESS damage; ie LOSing, cooldowns, killing them quick, etc.

And tanks already get medals if they actually do their job of Protecting someone. So both your arguments for it are already covered: medals for guarding a node, and medals for the damage-taking (tank) class. How can you say it discourages people from being "number addicted", when your proposal encourages racking up a high # of damage taken?

The reason I asked if this' the same person who started that other thread is because this' along the same lines that everything you do is somehow "helping" the team and should therefore get a medal. :rolleyes: It all just reeks of people that can't hit/heal/guard worth a damn and need to invent new easy-mode ways to earn medals (everyone's a winner!).

Edited by HeatRacer

Sorry but, you're confusing two different threads in one of which you're irritated by an OP. I repeat: I am not that guy and I want a whole different thing? Getting big hits without dying into objectives is not easy mode, as anyone can imagine. If they try getting naked and throw themselves into the fire, they die and counter resets. But if they really delve into objectives, with the help of mechanics, they can earn it by their sweat and sacrifice. Hence the title :] Sacrificer.

You also completely undervalue the potential for people other than you.

After all, you may skip that medal if you don't want to obtain it. So why bother preventing others to have it?

I'm 99% sure this will change at least some of the selfish DPS into supporters when the math made well, just for the thrill of it.

If you're playing well, you should actually be taking LESS damage; ie LOSing, cooldowns, killing them quick, etc.

You're mainly DPS aren't you? :D And never tried to save the only node by yourself, while the team is in bad shape? *That* is what should be rewarded instead of Imma-9999-crit-hit attitude. ;) If I see someone took that medal in a WZ/Arena, I would vote MVP them, wouldn't you?

That just encourages knuckleheads to go charging in to eat damage so they can earn medals, herp-derp.

You can't control other's damage completely, and you definitely can't control the mechanics!

That is the part you don't understand. It will be counter-produtcive to eat damage when the number is below the line... So they could earn damage/prot medals instead of eating damage and Die trying, so this will precisely to change some of them into supporting role to earn the new medal. I repeat: When the math / mechanics are done correctly. Do I have to do that too?

Edited by Xtremophile

Sorry but, you're confusing two different threads in one of which you're irritated by an OP. I repeat: I am not that guy and I want a whole different thing? Getting big hits without dying into objectives is not easy mode, as anyone can imagine. If they try getting naked and throw themselves into the fire, they die and counter resets. But if they really delve into objectives, with the help of mechanics, they can earn it by their sweat and sacrifice. Hence the title :] Sacrificer.

You also completely undervalue the potential for people other than you.

After all, you may skip that medal if you don't want to obtain it. So why bother preventing others to have it?

I'm 99% sure this will change at least some of the selfish DPS into supporters when the math made well, just for the thrill of it.

You're mainly DPS aren't you? :D And never tried to save the only node by yourself, while the team is in bad shape? *That* is what should be rewarded instead of Imma-9999-crit-hit attitude. ;) If I see someone took that medal in a WZ/Arena, I would vote MVP them, wouldn't you?

You can't control other's damage completely, and you definitely can't control the mechanics!

That is the part you don't understand. It will be counter-produtcive to eat damage when the number is below the line... So they could earn damage/prot medals instead of eating damage and Die trying, so this will precisely to change some of them into supporting role to earn the new medal. I repeat: When the math / mechanics are done correctly. Do I have to do that too?

No, I'm not conflating the threads because the basic idea is still the same: asking the devs to redo the medal system to reward you under the pretext that every little mechanic you do is "helping the team". And actually, this' worse than the other guy's CC'ing-should-get-medals idea because, in your own words, you can't control the enemy team's damage. Which means, it's an achievement that's not even really based on something YOU are using any skill/action to do, but rather who the enemy happens to focus on, which is largely circumstantial.

Since you keep talking about having to take a high amount of damage to qualify for this medal, that means you would have to have a healer propping you up, since dying would "reset the counter", according to you. Well, that's not your skill helping out your team; that's your healer doing a good job of keeping you alive. It's the healer that should (and does) get the medal, not you. You aren't using your skill/abilities to get the enemy to target you instead of the healer unless you're a tank (in which case you can get Protection medals). The enemy has to hit someone, and if they choose to hit you instead of the healer keeping you alive, that's either their mistake, or your healer doing a good job of staying out of the way. That's not you doing anything that deserves to be rewarded.

Your example of being a DPS trying to hold a node supports my case, not yours. Killing the enemy quickly, or running around the objective evading damage till help arrives is more useful to the team than eating that damage (which you want to reward). And either way, I am earning Defender medals (and whatever DPS/heal points I used to stay alive) and possibly "Unbeatable/Invincible" medals for staying alive, which makes a Sacrificer medal redundant and unnecessarily complicated to earn (since you keep bringing up how math and mechanics have to be done just right to earn it).

You're "99% sure this will change at least some of the selfish DPS into supporters.."? What does that even mean? Support how? What were they doing before that your medal somehow fixes? If you're talking about DPSers who don't focus on healers or objectives, a Sacrificer medal sure isn't going to change that, because that's a L2P issue for them.

Edited by HeatRacer