this class is a waste of time for serious pvper's

ohok

While not very constructive or open minded, the OP does have a point in that it is an uphill slog in arenas as a sniper. Even Bioware has acknowledged it as a problem they are not currently addressing. For those that believe otherwise, what class is worse than a sniper in arenas?

What is depressing is the arena problem has largely been relegated as not as big a problem as the PvE sniper glutton. Bioware's flawed way of thinking that Snipers and Marauders needed to do more DPS than other dps specs has left them poor class balance in PvE. Their answer to this has been to drive down the population of snipers by subtly dropping their dps. The subtlety was accomplished by very minor sniper nerfs and some major buffing to other classes. It appears that if they leave us at the bottom of the barrel as far as DPS, many snipers will leave or re-roll other tunes and re-balance PvE in time for their next expansion.

In conclusion, the developers were very careful not to break snipers to an unplayable class, but they have certainly tried to dull the luster. It is a dangerous and frustrating game they are playing that could easily backfire. I don't agree with their plan, but I think I understand what they hope to accomplish. If you want to be a sniper, grin and bear it a few months until they balance the class distribution in PVE and then they may bring us back to an equitable level. Arena sniper play is collateral damage. The last thing they want to do is add functionality that is going to increase the number of snipers, and I doubt snipers will see any positive changes any time soon.

Edited by Mrog

It's a l2p issue.

I have a 2.6k rank sniper because I know how to play the class. The problem is very few actually realize how to play the sniper effectively and what its role is in arenas and warzones. 99% of snipers in pvp make me cringe because they have no idea what they're doing.

Oh well. If you convince BW to buff my class I have no problem with that.

Right, 99% of snipers are wrong except for you. Sort of like if 99% of people can't drive a Toyota, but you can, then nothing is wrong with the car and Toyota should keep making them?

Won't comment on how you get your ranking.. other to notice you prefer to troll and sneer at everyone else rather than share your "secrets".

Edited by MotorCityMan

In conclusion, the developers were very careful not to break snipers to an unplayable class, but they have certainly tried to dull the luster. It is a dangerous and frustrating game they are playing that could easily backfire.

Ya Blizzard does the same thing. When rogues only represented 1.6% of the population, they gave them some major buffs until within a short time that number had multiplied 4 fold to 5.6%. The next major patch some of those buffs were rolled back and it became the next least played class' turn to get the buffs. (Warlocks).

These game companies don't always balance for fairness and player enjoyment. They look at their charts and somebody goes hey, we need more of this class and less of that. and they hand out buffs and nerfs based on population numbers.

Edited by MotorCityMan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of those story line players, you'll never catch me hitting the space bar through a conversation, I'm strictly a PVE'r and I really dislike PVP (simply because I lack the hand eye coordination and I have an issue remembering hot keys) However; I realize if I want to hit that next lvl a little quicker, I need to hit a war zone. All that being said, my sniper does fairly well in most war zones. The only one I get my butt handed to me in is the one where your attacking/defending the ship. I really don't see what the problem is. Since I'm not a fan of PVP and won't do it outside a war zone I probably don't have the entire picture of what the OP is troubled with.

I do think the sniper is overpowered for PVE, I had a lvl 40 OP with which I couldn't finish a mission without help, when my lvl 37 sniper when through the mission I dominated through the whole thing.

Edited by Konklar
added info

• 1 month later...
For those that believe otherwise, what class is worse than a sniper in arenas?

For DPS? Operatives and Mercs. Take your pick. MM is terrible in solo queue, and everyone who plays the class knows it. But I'm betting that's the spec most snipers play seeing as how it's the easiest to level with. Lethality and Engineering are great for solo queue, more so now that Engineering is buffed. And in group ranked, MM is great.

Also Caprica is wise. Listen to Caprica.

• 3 weeks later...
Try engineering, they have the best suriviblity of the three specs imo and do pretty good AoE. You can double roll, double entrench and double defense probe. Yeah, it can be a challenging class to play in ranked, but it's better than going easymode as a vengeance jugg or madness sin/sorc, plus people might actually respect you if you get a high enough rating (but lets be honest solo ranked is just as much, if not more, about luck as it is about skill).

For DPS? Operatives and Mercs. Take your pick. MM is terrible in solo queue, and everyone who plays the class knows it. But I'm betting that's the spec most snipers play seeing as how it's the easiest to level with. Lethality and Engineering are great for solo queue, more so now that Engineering is buffed. And in group ranked, MM is great.

Also Caprica is wise. Listen to Caprica.

Ops is a good comparison, and you could debate who is the very bottom. Probably Snipers due to ops getting to enter combat on their own terms and the great burst at the beginning of the fight.

Merc is not in a great spot, but currently better then snipers and ops due to enhanced survivability.