Eric or anyone of the dev team please explain this

Adovir

Hey folks!

I apologize for the delay in response. In retrospect, I think us posting class top 3 answers on Fridays may be a poor decision. What that unfortunately creates is a situation where we can post answers and then at some point, need to go home. Leaving all of you on the forums to our silence, which is certainly not optimal.

Also, I know for Courtney the end of last week was a hectic one for her role on the team which made it difficult to take an active part in the thread. For myself, I wasn't in the country, I was in Germany for our Cantina event. Excuses aside, it was poorly timed on our behalf and I want to make sure we avoid that. I would rather us hold the answers for a day or two than kind of "drop the mic" on you after we answer.

This kind of thing is a great learning experience for us on what we can do to improve the class rep system. In both regards to you guys, the forum users, and us on the BioWare side in how we present information. I know this round didn't exactly make everyone throw a parade but it helps in making sure that we make this system better. At the end of the day I think we can all agree that getting a good dialog going about class issues is a good thing for everyone.

-eric

So after reading this which I found was from over a year ago, 08.27.2013 , 04:52 PM to be exact. So maybe I'm still a little bitter at the fact that you guys kinda dropped the ball on the Op class questions taking them 4 days late, which I was fine with because it was memorial day weekend, until I stumbled upon that quote right there. Eric has clearly said here that Fridays may just kinda be a busy day for you guys and from the way it seems all of you have the week end off so getting a response will have to come on Monday or Tuesday depending on if there is a holiday.

If Fridays are such a busy day for you guys and you worry that you may not get to responding to important posts why don't you change what day you take/respond to important information? This will prevent 3-4 days of silence and instead only 1 which is far more acceptable, what is so hard about changing the day to Monday or Wednesday?

I don't know if you guys can figure out what my question is because I left a background info before I gave the large bold Fonted text asking. But in all seriousness why do you still do then when almost a year ago you admitted it can leave alot of room for error? Do you like leaving the players questioning like this?

Edited by CommunityDroidEU

So without context I really can't sympathize.

But would you prefer that they don't post anything on thursday or friday?

Even if it can cause issues it is probably much better that if it is needed that they respond to a topic on thursday or friday instead of letting the thread possibly get out of hand over the weekend (like many threads do).

True fact some other day would make better sense but we also need to remember that there is less devs there was originally. Therefore they need to strecht for us and that is what they do. Remaining devs do great work for us. They work hard. And, Eric apologized. I think we should forgive it and not keep blaming.

Thanks Eric and team for keeping game up :)

If memory serves, the context of that post was a bit different.

I don't remember specifically what the answer was that lit the fire, but they posted the Answers to questions on a Friday, and one of the Answers was incredibly contentious and received with almost unanimous negativity.

And they posted the answers so late. We've all been a position where we send an email to a work colleague after-hours so they won't see it to the next day, or after the weekend, or made a phone call with bad news at such a time where you could leave a voice mail and not have to talk to the person. That's exactly what this felt like. The devs hit publish/submit etc. and then went home for the weekend, knowing full well what they were doing.

I don't see the same thing with the Op questions. I don't know what fowarding the questions to the Devs entails, but I don't think it's as significant as responding to an uproar about a class change/bad answer.

Whether they receive the 3 questions on Friday or Tuesday, in the grand scheme of things, it's still going to take a week+ to get a response.

So while I'm no trying to discredit your response, the Yellow text you quoted was in response to a different type of situation.

MMO problems?

wow the rage is strong with this one. I just picture the community team having to install timers and alarms indicating to them when a particular event will happen so they don't miss it for any reason what so ever so OP does not have to feel slighted in any way.

was your day/weekend so ruined by a whole 3 days without a response/message that you had to come on and vent?

Seriously, what is the point? what exactly are you trying to accomplish other than pointing to the community team and say "HOW DARE YOU SAY NOTHING FOR 3 DAYS!!!"

MMO problems?

wow the rage is strong with this one. I just picture the community team having to install timers and alarms indicating to them when a particular event will happen so they don't miss it for any reason what so ever so OP does not have to feel slighted in any way.

was your day/weekend so ruined by a whole 3 days without a response/message that you had to come on and vent?

Seriously, what is the point? what exactly are you trying to accomplish other than pointing to the community team and say "HOW DARE YOU SAY NOTHING FOR 3 DAYS!!!"

Not that I don't agree...

But the issue that sparked that post was an issue where the community got worse and worse because of the lack of responses in that thread.

It wasn't just that the devs did not respond within that time period.

Not that I don't agree...

But the issue that sparked that post was an issue where the community got worse and worse because of the lack of responses in that thread.

It wasn't just that the devs did not respond within that time period.

Which is 10000% the problem. Posters "demand" community responses and then get bent out of shape when there isn't one and start tossing around "slaps in the face" and "they don't listen". Expecting a response is asinine, which is why they tend to not post. As soon as they do, they get bombarded with 100's of questions about things beyond what they responded to.

Q what about this issue:

followed by 10 pages of discussion and a community response

followed by another 100 posts of "Ok, what about this, that, and that one thing....and a few dozen more issues"

People feel entitled and demand respect and responses but don't seem to really earn any of it. They feel just because they pay money they automatically get this special status above everyone else.

Like I said I was/am still slightly bitter but when you are told that you will be given a service don't you expect it? This is something that BW wants to have this as their stick out thing, what defines them from others. I my self was completely fine with them being late but what made me angry was that they have openly admitted that Friday may not be in the best day for them and this was said almost one year ago. It is because of this that I asked why not change the day, something that seems very simple. The reason why I quoted that post was because its Eric saying openly that Fridays are very busy for them.

Which is 10000% the problem. Posters "demand" community responses and then get bent out of shape when there isn't one and start tossing around "slaps in the face" and "they don't listen". Expecting a response is asinine, which is why they tend to not post. As soon as they do, they get bombarded with 100's of questions about things beyond what they responded to.

Q what about this issue:

followed by 10 pages of discussion and a community response

followed by another 100 posts of "Ok, what about this, that, and that one thing....and a few dozen more issues"

People feel entitled and demand respect and responses but don't seem to really earn any of it. They feel just because they pay money they automatically get this special status above everyone else.

Yeah that is the bigger problem.

Does get a bit old seeing the same people respond to dev posts announcing some thing or discussing something and replying something along the lines of

"This is great to hear... any news about feature X that you never said was coming"

Like I said I was/am still slightly bitter but when you are told that you will be given a service don't you expect it? This is something that BW wants to have this as their stick out thing, what defines them from others. I my self was completely fine with them being late but what made me angry was that they have openly admitted that Friday may not be in the best day for them and this was said almost one year ago. It is because of this that I asked why not change the day, something that seems very simple. The reason why I quoted that post was because its Eric saying openly that Fridays are very busy for them.

I pay for access to the game and these forums. I never "expected/demanded/required" direct responses from the community team,devs,company representative or anyone else beyond their usual channels. I.e official press releases, online advertisements, home pages etc.

If they want to participate in these forums they are free to do so and I encourage it. However, the moment they are treated with disrespect, animosity, etc. I would fully support them taking their bat and ball and leaving. I think the first time someone posted a negative thread or calling out the devs for being late, they should post saying "you're right we were late or whatnot and to remedy this we'll just stop to avoid any further confusion as to what we were doing".

If after the whole "heal to full" meme and flame happened if they had said "due to the feedback of our responses, we'll no longer be responding" and just stopped, I think maybe we would see some change from time to time.

I'm all for criticism, the key word being CRITICAL, meaning well thought out, logical, and reasonable. However, we rarely get that. Those that do point out logical problems with complaints or counter points are "biodrones, defenders, white nights"

What does that old post have to do with what you're talking about? They said that they will not be providing Class Rep answers on a Friday, not that they won't do anything ever on a Friday. Last I checked, those weren't responses that they had scheduled for last Friday. The two things are not related.

What does that old post have to do with what you're talking about? They said that they will not be providing Class Rep answers on a Friday, not that they won't do anything ever on a Friday. Last I checked, those weren't responses that they had scheduled for last Friday. The two things are not related.

/Agree.

And if one is a student of history in the forum ------> players complained that they posted what players considered important information (about class design/balance) on Friday and then did not respond to follow-up questions/comments until the following Monday. So... the reality is.. what the OP is upset about = what players were asking for ----> don't drop a gold post on Friday afternoon about a topic important to players and then leave for the weekend.

That said.. of course some players ... what they really wanted was for Eric and the Devs to stay glued to their PCs all weekend long waiting and responding to every demand post that followed the gold sticky. Now that.. that is some entitlement at work right there.

Edited by Andryah

/Agree.

And if one is a student of history in the forum ------> players complained that they posted what players considered important information (about class design/balance) on Friday and then did not respond to follow-up questions/comments until the following Monday. So... the reality is.. what the OP is upset about = what players were asking for ----> don't drop a gold post on Friday afternoon about a topic important to players and then leave for the weekend.

That said.. of course some players ... what they really wanted was for Eric and the Devs to stay glued to their PCs all weekend long waiting and responding to every demand post that followed the gold sticky. Now that.. that is some entitlement at work right there.

I think its more than that. To expect the community members to sit and continuously answer/respond to posts beyond the one and done is excessive. They released the information, if they feel it is necessary to respond further or they want to respond they can. If not, that is also their prerogative (granted latter opens up to more whining than most would want). I just can't help but feel a lot of it comes down to the "some is better than none" and give an inch they want a foot. I'm not always a big fan of you'll take what you get and LIKE IT. but also realize that they cannot respond to every post (and should not). But for some reason people feel that they should, and I don't buy "its their job"

I think its more than that. To expect the community members to sit and continuously answer/respond to posts beyond the one and done is excessive. They released the information, if they feel it is necessary to respond further or they want to respond they can. If not, that is also their prerogative (granted latter opens up to more whining than most would want). I just can't help but feel a lot of it comes down to the "some is better than none" and give an inch they want a foot. I'm not always a big fan of you'll take what you get and LIKE IT. but also realize that they cannot respond to every post (and should not). But for some reason people feel that they should, and I don't buy "its their job"

/Agree.