The gamorrean conundrum - or : What would you say if ...

Hello, everyone,

SWTOR Gamorreans are a real conundrum to me.

And that's why :

Their ROTJ armor looks like it was really,. really, really ancient - or just primitive.

The SWTOR gamorreans usually wear armor that looks - compared to the ROTJ armor - too modern. *Far* too modern.

The Gamorreans might have been degenerating - as a culture, or in armor-crafting -

or they were - in ROTJ - wearing this armor because everything else would have been too hot for them - on Tatooine, that is.

Both interpretatioons are imho possible.

Now, the question that's going around in my head is this :

"What would you say if Bioware would release ROTJ Gamorrean Armor in SWTOR ?"

In an Cartel pack, for example.

Because in SWTOR, it would fit imho pefectly. It looks really ancient.

But, on the other hand, it would actually be 3000+ years armor, NOT armor from the SWTOR era ...

Personally, I'd love to see the gamorrean ROTJ armor in SWTOR, but ... well, I've explained the conundrum already ... ;)

Alrik

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Is progress always on a steady ascension, or does it progress in stages, sometimes marked by era-long plateaus?

Is it necessary for everything in SWTOR to appear ancient relative to more recent lore?

I think the answer to these questions gives SWTOR's writers and artists quite a lot of latitude.

Sorry to wax philosophically.

Besides the fact that societies don't inevitably move along a fixed course from "primitive" to "advanced" the same way (and at the same rate), there is also the fact that aesthetics don't really map that closely to technology - what LOOKS "primitive" and what IS "primitive" can be different.

It would be cool to see the RotJ armor in the CM, though, I guess.

Well, Sandals do look "primitive" - yet they are used in various designs for thousands of years already (Romans had a similar design, too), especially in areas where it is simply too hot to wear thick shoes & thick socks.

So, the gamorrean armor of ROTJ might have merely been an adaption to the hot temperatures there on Tatooine.

Buit still - I personally feel as if their ROTJ armor would fit well into SWTOR - Gav Daragon's armor looks somewhat "ancient" as well.

The only gamorreans we see in ROTJ are in Jabba's palace. Just because Jabba's guards are dressed and armed primitively, doesn't mean all gamorreans are as primitive. Some of the humans in Jabba's palace, (eg the rancor handler) are also dressed primitively, but all humans in ROTJ aren't primitive. I think it's just a factor of seeing a small sample size in ROTJ. Edited by NYYankee

The only gamorreans we see in ROTJ are in Jabba's palace. Just because Jabba's guards are dressed and armed primitively, doesn't mean all gamorreans are as primitive. Some of the humans in Jabba's palace, (eg the rancor handler) are also dressed primitively, but all humans in ROTJ aren't primitive. I think it's just a factor of seeing a small sample size in ROTJ.

^ In the Legends that used to be the EU, Gamorreans could use blasters.

If you really step back and look at the whole picture, the only real technological difference between the SWTOR era and the movie era is the name of the magical medical fluid they use.

In 5000 years you'd think a galaxy-spanning civilization would have advanced farther.

Now compare that to how much inhabitants of a single planet of humans who are, to the best of their knowledge, alone in the universe have advanced in even a fraction of that amount of time.

Hell, even the desktop computer you had 10 years ago wasn't as powerful as the one you carry around in your pocket today.

If you really step back and look at the whole picture, the only real technological difference between the SWTOR era and the movie era is the name of the magical medical fluid they use.

In 5000 years you'd think a galaxy-spanning civilization would have advanced farther.

Now compare that to how much inhabitants of a single planet of humans who are, to the best of their knowledge, alone in the universe have advanced in even a fraction of that amount of time.

Hell, even the desktop computer you had 10 years ago wasn't as powerful as the one you carry around in your pocket today.

You simply cannot compare all civilizations, even those in a sci-fi context, with contemporary human technological advances. Even within Earth's relatively brief existence there have been thousands of years between significant advances in technology -- how long was the stone age? The bronze age? Much more recently, how long did the Medieval Period last? Not only that, but not all technologies advance commensurately. Since the introduction of computers we've seen somewhat rapid advances in many areas, but do you really think technologies will continue to ascend at the same rate in perpetuity? I think not, and for this reason I see few incongruities in the Star Wars saga.

Clearly, Star Wars (both SWTOR and the movies) are based on the Galaxy being in decline compared to the past.

For example, nothing in SWTOR or in ABY Star Wars even comes close to the ancient Star Forge left behind by a previous, more advanced culture. Even restricting the analysis to the movies, they deal with the decline and destruction of the Jedi Order and the Republic, which are already pretty far gone at the start of the first Alleged Star Wars Prequel movie. [Although given that the Jedi were hell-bent on genocide of the Sith purebloods at one point, maybe that's actually progress - or is that not canon?]

Anywho, a lot of fantasy and fantastic SciFi has a context of living in declined or declining culture (if not post-apocalypse). SWTOR has the Rakata, LoTR has the age the of the Two Trees, lots of fantasy has dangerous/wonderful ancient magics just waiting to be discovered. The Other Star-Named SciFi Franchise is a bit of an exception, but even in that you see things like time portals that were left behind by civilizations that were much more advanced than the Federation.

Anywho, a lot of fantasy and fantastic SciFi has a context of living in declined or declining culture (if not post-apocalypse).

Yes, this odd feature was outlined in an small workshop at the RPC (Role Play Convention) early May, too.

I don't really know why this is. Maybe it's Tolkien's influence ?

Besides, I'm still waiting for an answer to my question : What would you say if Bioware would put the ROTJ Gamorrean armor into the Cartel Market ?