GSF - Observations

Niliu

Hello!

So I'm back after a bit of a hiatus, went and tried the horror that is ESO.

So I last played end of January, early Feb I believe, noticed some things that could be fixed in GSF, but generally liked it.

Played a few rounds yesterday on a Republic character, and I'd like to share what I've noticed.

1. Imperials dominate. Seems like whenever I queue and don't wind up playing against Republic characters for a wargame, the Imperials will swoop in and crush us.

2. Gunships are OP. I'm sure there will be some flaming here, but I noticed Gunships still do an insane amount of damage at long-range, and can't be killed by an Scout/Interceptor or Fighter one-on-one. Did a Team Deathmatch against them yesterday, the Imps had 5 gunships, threw fighters and scouts at us to keep us engaging them, and provide a screen, and the Gunships were playing us from range. The republic leaderboard at the end showed 3 kills was our best guy, then me at 2, a couple guys with 1, and the rest no kills but a lot of deaths... Yea...

These appear to be random thought bubbles. Which are fine, in and of themselves, but I'm not entirely convinced it needed a new thread...

1) Faction balance is a server issue, not a game issue. On Harbinger for a long time it was Pubs that dominated, then Imps have come back a bit, now with some transfers from other servers Pubs are back on top, but its much more even. Point is, its not really relevant to 'GSF' as a whole. Its a server thing.

2) Again, this smacks of the first impression, lack of experience viewpoint that you readily admitted to. Gunships can and are killed by many Scouts and even Strike Fighters. I know, because i kill them often.

Get reoriented with the tactics and maps. Practice up, upgrade your ships, and if you are persistent and adaptive enough you will be fine and do well in GSF.

Edited by MystbladeWA

Yeah, gunships are well balanced now or perhaps even (and if anyone asks you didn't hear this from me) very slightly weaker than they should be.

One on one you want to use cover to get to a good range for dealing with them, which is about 3 to 7 km depending on what weapons you have (scouts might want to get in closer if the gunship isn't facing them). As long as you haven't burned up too much of your engine pool doing this, the gunship is in serious trouble at that point.

Where they can still be really annoying is if they're getting good support from other players that deal with you while you are trying to deal with the gunship. That means you need your team to help you the way their team is helping them.

1. Depends on the server. Apparently, the Imps have become dominant on JM where as in my time there, it was the pubs who reigned supreme.

2. VERYYYYY false. Get us to a point where we have no engine energy and we're pretty darn screwed. Unless there was a horrible mismanagement of CDs for strikes / scouts (more-so for scouts), the fighters will be able to take down the GS with relative ease*. The key is, as Ramalina said, to use cover on your approach. Some scouts have really solid ability to judge where a GS is going to fire and are able to actually do a straight-albeit-side-winder approach, but I'd recommend leaving that strat to the pros until you've gotten back into the swing of things. Count the ship nerfs - GS has been at the receiving end of all every opportunity to nerf (and for the ions, it was completely understandable, but the engine ability is kinda ridiculous, and the further nerf of ion [for those counting, that's 3 seperate occassions where the item needs further nerfing]) whereas evasion got a minor nerf, but didn't touch any other class.

*Tried and tested in my star guard last night.... even easier with a ff / sting... And very funny in a blackbolt / nova

Yeah, gunships are well balanced now or perhaps even (and if anyone asks you didn't hear this from me) very slightly weaker than they should be.

One on one you want to use cover to get to a good range for dealing with them, which is about 3 to 7 km depending on what weapons you have (scouts might want to get in closer if the gunship isn't facing them). As long as you haven't burned up too much of your engine pool doing this, the gunship is in serious trouble at that point.

Where they can still be really annoying is if they're getting good support from other players that deal with you while you are trying to deal with the gunship. That means you need your team to help you the way their team is helping them.

this pretty much sums it up.

what worries me is the new gunship that's due out in 2.8.... a GS that can dogfight too? not gonna be fun trying counter that.

the real problem is mass bomber wings. get two (or more) bombers fully tiered and with different load outs that compliment each other and that sat is almost imposable to recapture. (and get 2 bombers under each sat? forget about it).

a week ago I posted a question about bomber interdiction slows stacking and 3 times today I was slowed to a complete stop. plenty of engine power, just could not move. the imp ace's are out in force and handed me my back side more than once (pre-mades).

bottom line, pugs are fine (they really are) but real team coordination is a must if you want to win the match.

keep at it OP. GSF has changed a lot and the more good pilots we have the better.

(and welcome back - :))

Edited by magecutter

1. On Shadowlands, Imps will dominate on evenings, but the average pub quality is higher the rest of the day. Faction balance seems to vary not only by server but by the time of day on the server. Many people even play gsf on both sides.

2. With even skill levels, 1v1, a scout will kill a gunship the majority of the time, though depending on the players involved it may take a bit of work. What you're describing in that match is the imperial team using good tactics, and probably overmatching your team in experience as well. Oh, and the best gunship killer? Novadrive/Blackbolt. The STOCK scout (obviously not with stock components though). No joke.

Edited by Fractalsponge

1. depends on your server and time of day. I know for shadow lands the better imps don't log in till after 8pm(central) has been my experience

2. problem with people and gs is that if you let them free fire then yeah there going to do some damage. But if you stay on them and keep pressure on them you will see there not so tough.

1. On Shadowlands, Imps will dominate on evenings, but the average pub quality is higher the rest of the day. Faction balance seems to vary not only by server but by the time of day on the server. Many people even play gsf on both sides.

2. With even skill levels, 1v1, a scout will kill a gunship the majority of the time, though depending on the players involved it may take a bit of work. What you're describing in that match is the imperial team using good tactics, and probably overmatching your team in experience as well. Oh, and the best gunship killer? Novadrive/Blackbolt. The STOCK scout. No joke.

yup, no joke at all. killed more GS's in a Nova than any other ship I have. (love that snap turn and rocket pods).

also, tactics are king. the days of just flying around doing your own thing are long gone.

Edited by magecutter

I like that the rest of the forum has already deconstructed this.

Factions are server specific and time specific. Every server I've been on seems to have a steady supply of new players running around in two-ships, and the match is normally determined by which side has a better group of pilots or aces that are queuing. There's nothing that is "empire specific", and many pilots run both sides anyway.

2. Gunships are OP. I'm sure there will be some flaming here, but I noticed Gunships still do an insane amount of damage at long-range, and can't be killed by an Scout/Interceptor or Fighter one-on-one.

As has been pointed out, scouts are amazing against gunships, who have been nerfed several ways since you last played. Gunships have a very long cooldown on their one missile break, no longer can ion-tap, and can no longer run bypass for massive shield ignore.

Coming in and asking for class nerfs is pretty much just trying to start fights.

Interesting observations, my take on this will be from a bit of a different angle than what has come before.

1. Imperials dominate. Seems like whenever I queue and don't wind up playing against Republic characters for a wargame, the Imperials will swoop in and crush us.

This is more a function of the matchmaking than anything else and map design as a much smaller second factor, and it can go either way but will always have a lean towards the pubs.

The matchmaker loves creating matches which will be horribly unenjoyable for one side. It will regularly throw double , or triple groups of premades with mastered ships against groups consisting of all pugs and mostly noobs. The map bias is pretty obvious on two out of three of the domination maps, they outright favor the pub side.

Lost shipyards the fortified objective is closer to the pub spawn point.

Kuat Mesas the fortified objective is equidistant but the pubs get conveniently placed shortcuts through the obstacles.

2. Gunships are OP. I'm sure there will be some flaming here, but I noticed Gunships still do an insane amount of damage at long-range, and can't be killed by an Scout/Interceptor or Fighter one-on-one. Did a Team Deathmatch against them yesterday, the Imps had 5 gunships, threw fighters and scouts at us to keep us engaging them, and provide a screen, and the Gunships were playing us from range. The republic leaderboard at the end showed 3 kills was our best guy, then me at 2, a couple guys with 1, and the rest no kills but a lot of deaths... Yea...

Let me ask the gunships you were trying to kill, would they have help magically pop up in your face when you tried to kill them ? Would they always be in the middle of a bomber field ? Have another gunship either covering their spot or right next to them ?

It isn't the gunships that are OP, it's the team tactics being used against pugs that are OP

A swarm of gunships will dominate the gameplay due to the ion rail. 8 gunships rolled about 7- 8 clicks from each other, combined in pairs, with one using ion and one - slug. Not much coordination needed after this - ion man shoots first, simply watch who got hit with ion then finish with slug...

...or even 2 GS 2-3 bombers with rail drone (+ repair + seeker mines). Thats practically impenetrable.

Of course coordinated attack CAN tear them apart. The problem is general lack of coordination in matches, unless someone will come with a voice communicating premade. The "GS fortress" doesn't need much coordination; the attack on that fortress will have to be carefully timed.

The infiltrators sould change that, but... they won't come soon (and I understand, they will be hell to balance).

Main problem is the ion rail energy drain - nerfed and nerfed again and - still OPed. No lock warning, no lock break - you get hit, you lost half of the engine power... oh, you used other half already? Congratulations, you're now a duck. Target practice time :)

... now only booster recharge can save you. Oh, you're in a scout with blaster overcharge? think again what good will it do to you if you cant get in range to fire? You're in a strike? Switch fo GS it is fun *fires slug* bye bye! ;)

Edited by Bolo_Yeung