Why Can't we Server Transfer ... NA/EU

lazze

Any lawyers care to help out?
I seriously doubt that there are any lawyers here who are intimately familiar with all the ins and outs of EA's international business dealings.

But to use an example of a different issue that's often caused by legalities, the reason that most US companies exclude non-US residents from certain promotions is that it's simply not worth their time to make sure that whatever promotion complies with all relevant laws in each and every country outside the US.

Instead they make it comply with US laws and call it a day.

Marketing Dude: "Hey, let's give away a cool SWTOR hat. We'll ask people to send us an email telling us who their favorite Jedi is and we'll pick a winner."

Legal Dude: "Well, in Switzerland we'd run into trouble with the laws requiring neutrality by asking them to choose a good character over an evil one."

Marketing Dude: "Ok, no big deal, it can be for either Jedi or Sith. Problem solved."

Legal Dude: "No, not really... In Krakozhia it's against the law to enter contests that award physical goods based on foreign intellectual properties."

Marketing Dude: "Then how about we award an in-game hat?"

Legal Dude: "While the nation of Zamunda allows for the purchase and gifting of virtual goods, they cannot be obtained through contests."

Marketing Dude: "Ok then what if we give the in-game hat to everyone who enters without the need to draw a winner?"

Legal Dude: "That's gonna cause problems in Florin where the very act of needing to enter the contest in order to receive a prize constitutes an illegal lottery."

Marketing Dude: *Pulls out hair*

BioWare Marketing Email: "Send us an email telling us who's your favorite Jedi and why. One lucky winner chosen by our staff will win a cool SWTOR baseball cap. Contest open to US residents only."

• 4 months later...
yeah, let's not forget that you can create characters on any server on either the US or EU side. So an SWTOR account can have characters on US and EU servers in the same time.

So, what legal problem?

They're not telling us what the legal problem is, but they HAVE publicly said they want very much to do this. But your first statement is even more to the point. Given that there are no restrictions to creating characters on either side of the Atlantic, one wonders why this is such a big deal for some players. THIS is what frosts your noggin about EA/BW???? If people would take all the energy they use griping about this issue they could get a few characters up to 55 on any server they want.

Anytime something like that comes up, it's almost certainly a legal issue rather than a technical issue preventing it at some level.

Its a tech issue, the server banks are a different entity to the US ones.

For the OP, they have said they want to offer this, but priorities are such, that it may be a little while before we see it.

Its a tech issue, the server banks are a different entity to the US ones.

For the OP, they have said they want to offer this, but priorities are such, that it may be a little while before we see it.

They have said specifically (and recently) that it is NOT a tech issue, it is a business issue.

EU to NA Character Transfer is one thing I really wish they had. I played for a bit with two of my friends, one of whom was in Europe and had problems playing on a NA server. So, we picked a EU server. That lonely toon in EU got to L30, and I like him. But levelling a solo toon sans Legacy and not contributing to my main Legacy does not appeal. I have plenty of slots on my main server, and I want to prevent the alt creep as much as possible. So, I am hoping against hope that EUà NA will be possible at some point in the future! 30 levels might not seem like much, but I am a slower player, and I want to settle in a couple of mains (1 for PvP, one for PvE) sooner rather than later after I figure out which ones to designate after experiencing all the 8 class stories. That European dude would have come very handy for completing one of the classes on 12xXP on my home server!