Does SWOTOR's Free to play model hurt it more?

Malckiah

So in my boredom with this game right now I downloaded Guild Wars 2. Now first off I want to make it clear that Swtor is my game and I am not making a thread that is pro guild wars 2....

But Guild Wars must be making enough to stay afloat and I think its free to play model is amazing. There are pretty much NO restrictions. So I can play without pressure, yet of course there is plenty of stuff to buy if I want.

One of the things I see all over the internet is people complaining about Swtor's f2p model and how it is far too restrictive. And though I have been a subscriber since prelaunch I have to agree. Not only do I pay a subscription, but I also get taxed with having to buy things....Cartel Market.... and yes I know I can buy those things on the GTN later and that I don't have to buy them. But my point is It is a subscription plus buy on market game!

When others are making it on Market only....is it hurting TOR to have such a restrictive free 2 play???

I think SWTOR's goal is to try and convert people to subs, where many other F2P games are fine with F2P players being more a la carte and trying to encourage them to make store purchases.

Whether that hurts SWTOR or not would depend on data we don't have access too in regards to how much the store makes, and how successful they are at converting F2P into Subs.

i like the consept of B2P guildwars have. Not sure if it would have worked with SWTOR, but i like it. No second class cityzens in GW2, only difference is the cool looking people probably spend some cash in GW2's shop.

i like the consept of B2P guildwars have. Not sure if it would have worked with SWTOR, but i like it. No second class cityzens in GW2, only difference is the cool looking people probably spend some cash in GW2's shop.

Um....cool looking people probably spend some cash in swtor shop too.

SWTOR ended up paying for it's arrogance.

When developing the game they thought it was going to be super successful, that there was no way it could/would ever go F2P or anything of that nature. Basically they believed they were building the next World of Warcraft.

When the game didn't meet that level of success they had to cut back severely in all areas but were still left with a game that was expensive to make and expensive to develop for. This is why TOR's F2P model is the way it is. They basically have to squeeze as much money out of it for it to stay afloat.

Other MMOs like Guild Wars, Star Trek, WoW, etc, usually don't make the mistake of building on tech that's not only expensive but also difficult to develop for. TOR made the mistake of both. It costs a lot to do anything for this game really whether it's maintain the servers or make a new Flashpoint or whatever.

TOR's F2P model isn't very good but it's kinda the way they have to go about it sadly.

SWTOR ended up paying for it's arrogance.

When developing the game they thought it was going to be super successful, that there was no way it could/would ever go F2P or anything of that nature. Basically they believed they were building the next World of Warcraft.

When the game didn't meet that level of success they had to cut back severely in all areas but were still left with a game that was expensive to make and expensive to develop for. This is why TOR's F2P model is the way it is. They basically have to squeeze as much money out of it for it to stay afloat.

Other MMOs like Guild Wars, Star Trek, WoW, etc, usually don't make the mistake of building on tech that's not only expensive but also difficult to develop for. TOR made the mistake of both. It costs a lot to do anything for this game really whether it's maintain the servers or make a new Flashpoint or whatever.

TOR's F2P model isn't very good but it's kinda the way they have to go about it sadly.

ToR and STO's budgets from the start aren't even close, so really poor comparison there... Nothing about STO is praiseworthy, that game went from decent to absurdly hard fail in literally the time it takes you to say "Romulans"...

So in my boredom with this game right now I downloaded Guild Wars 2. Now first off I want to make it clear that Swtor is my game and I am not making a thread that is pro guild wars 2....

But Guild Wars must be making enough to stay afloat and I think its free to play model is amazing. There are pretty much NO restrictions. So I can play without pressure, yet of course there is plenty of stuff to buy if I want.

One of the things I see all over the internet is people complaining about Swtor's f2p model and how it is far too restrictive. And though I have been a subscriber since prelaunch I have to agree. Not only do I pay a subscription, but I also get taxed with having to buy things....Cartel Market.... and yes I know I can buy those things on the GTN later and that I don't have to buy them. But my point is It is a subscription plus buy on market game!

When others are making it on Market only....is it hurting TOR to have such a restrictive free 2 play???

GW2 isn't free to play. You have to pay to get the game.

In SWTOR all class stories are ready for you from start to finish and you don't have pay anything.

Edited by Halinalle

I put up a post to this respect...it seems the most common complaints are against the lack of ability to mail items and money to your created characters in your legacy, the constant money cap spam and the lack of ability to chat with other free or preferred players.

Other than that most of the prior complaints have already been dealt with.