Why is my Instance always the crowded one?

Trintric

Let me explain what I mean by using Korriban as an example. Right now on Korriban 1 is about 140 people. Juuuuuust a little crowded in areas. However, I look at the map and see there is Korriban 2 and Korriban 3. So I switch and now there's only about 40 people.

Then I notice I've been hit with a bug that keeps popping up when I switch maps. I target an enemy and I do see the enemy circled in red, but no chevron above their heads. Annoying bug, but not what this post is about.

So I log out and back in to clear the bug. Once again I'm on Korriban 1 with another 140 people.

See, this is what I don't get! Why do I always seem to log onto crowded instances when it's obvious there are maps with 100 fewer people?

Why doesn't the server just VERY sensibly place me in a low pop map instead of the highest pop map? :rak_02:

Why doesn't it put me on a low pop map instead? THAT would make sense.

Let me explain what I mean by using Korriban as an example. Right now on Korriban 1 is about 140 people. Juuuuuust a little crowded in areas. However, I look at the map and see there is Korriban 2 and Korriban 3. So I switch and now there's only about 40 people.

Then I notice I've been hit with a bug that keeps popping up when I switch maps. I target an enemy and I do see the enemy circled in red, but no chevron above their heads. Annoying bug, but not what this post is about.

So I log out and back in to clear the bug. Once again I'm on Korriban 1 with another 140 people.

See, this is what I don't get! Why do I always seem to log onto crowded instances when it's obvious there are maps with 100 fewer people?

Why doesn't the server just VERY sensibly place me in a low pop map instead of the highest pop map? :rak_02:

Why doesn't it put me on a low pop map instead? THAT would make sense.

It may be that the system puts you in the lowest numbered instance that is not at capacity. Just a thought.

how in any possible way can a crowded fleet mean a game is dead, that is like saying the ocean is dry because its full of water

Past games like Diablo 3, Gw2, ESO, Titanfall and the upcoming Wildstar are part of the reason this game saw players leave en masse. To say there are any areas in this game that are crowded is simply misinformation.

Past games like Diablo 3, Gw2, ESO, Titanfall and the upcoming Wildstar are part of the reason this game saw players leave en masse. To say there are any areas in this game that are crowded is simply misinformation.

I'm sorry, but when I saw your forum name I literally laughed. :p Do you really expect people to take you seriously with a name like that?

Edited by Essence_of_Light

oh look.... forum member 12678360, with first posts in the forum = today.

That's not at all suspicious. :rolleyes:

No, certain zones are in fact crowded.

Stop with the *********** witchhunt please

Aaahahahahaha, coming from you and directed at that poster, that's just a hilarious statement! :rolleyes:

She is right tho. This poster is a completely new account and all the posts he has made are about how this game is dead.

Even in a thread about the game being crowded he has the cohones to claim that it's dead :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but not the zones that matter (group ranked).

And out comes the truth!

Yes, for hard-core PvP players on half-dead PvP servers, this game might seem dead.

But for the people playing the game the way it was designed to mainly be played, it's doing just fine.

This is not a PvP game. Claiming that it is dead because not alot of people are playing PvP is like claiming that GTA Online is dead because nobody plays tennis with you... :rolleyes:

Please realize that this game says the words "Star Wars" on it. So its never gonna be dead.

Im 35 or so. ;)

Star Wars opened in theatres the year I was born. And all this time later they are still making games, movies etc.

Its never gonna be dead cuz there are always gonna be about half a million people that wanna play or be involved with star wars stuff. And when the new movies come out watch the game's population soar. On Jedi Covenant which is NOT the most populated server there are 3 instances at most of peak times in various places.

The game was dead around and before 2.0 but recently its gaining steam. Im not worried.

Oh and a crowded instance can be good, or you can switch, non-problem.

I haven't read all the responses so sorry if this has already been said. When the fleet is crowded I get laggy, when there is a second instance open I usually add a random person who is in that instance to my friends list and get the popup to switch to their instance then remove them as a friend after I load.

If you are curious why it happens, it's likely because the overflow instance was meant to be temporary so once the first one empties a bit new people would get tossed to the first again instead of the second, so that the second can close once it's no longer needed.

Edited by Jessabeans

Aaahahahahaha, coming from you and directed at that poster, that's just a hilarious statement! :rolleyes:

She is right tho. This poster is a completely new account and all the posts he has made are about how this game is dead.

Even in a thread about the game being crowded he has the cohones to claim that it's dead :rolleyes:

* cojones

ok, I dare you to log in at prime time today, you have very clearly not logged into the game at any point in recent time, especially fleet which is always full, there is no way that in any way is misinformation unless you are in pure denial that this game is doing better than it once was.

It is annoying that it does this but the game certainly isn't crowded. The starter planets and the fleet usually have pretty high pops but it drops off drastically on the other planets.

There should be an option for whether or not you want to load into the more populated instance or the lowest populated. It makes no sense the way it's done now. Might help out players with lower end machines so they don't always get zoned into the stuttering mess the GTN/PvP area on the fleet can be or lazy players like me who don't feel like fighting over quest nodes for dailies or what have you.

At the very least it should try to spread the pops out evenly if there is 2 instances that way there is a good amount of people in both for grouping and the planets seem more lively instead of having an 80/20 split.

It may be that the system puts you in the lowest numbered instance that is not at capacity. Just a thought.

Pretty much. The game will tend to put players into the higher populated instances until it reaches a certain percentage of capacity, and then it will go to the next highest instance. This helps to concentrate people in the lowest amount of instances, by causing the slow depopulation of less populated instances when room clears up in the higher population instances.

If you want to fix that (very annoying and very old) bug without losing the instance you're in you can force close the game with Alt+F4 (yes, I'm being serious). When the game doesn't get a chance to shut down normally it registers it as a disconnect, not a log out. When you log back in you should be in the same instance you were in, and still in your group if you were in one.

Pretty much. The game will tend to put players into the higher populated instances until it reaches a certain percentage of capacity, and then it will go to the next highest instance. This helps to concentrate people in the lowest amount of instances, by causing the slow depopulation of less populated instances when room clears up in the higher population instances.

If you want to fix that (very annoying and very old) bug without losing the instance you're in you can force close the game with Alt+F4 (yes, I'm being serious). When the game doesn't get a chance to shut down normally it registers it as a disconnect, not a log out. When you log back in you should be in the same instance you were in, and still in your group if you were in one.

Alt + F4 actually fixing a problem? You may have broken the internet.

But for the people playing the game the way it was designed to mainly be played, it's doing just fine.

This is not a PvP game. Claiming that it is dead because not alot of people are playing PvP is like claiming that GTA Online is dead because nobody plays tennis with you... :rolleyes:

It is a dual faction Star Wars MMO ffs. The only reason the original devs didn't pay much attention to PvP is that they foolishly thought that PVP would be a secondary concern for most players, which they admitted they were wrong about. They didn't pay too much attention to endgame PvE either, with only EV and the first KP boss at launch. If ranked hadn't been delayed in 1.2, causing tens of thousands of unsubs, the hardcore PvP population would've been much higher throughout the history of the game so far, which would've prodded more and better PvP content to cater to that population. Just because a game isn't currently catering to a certain style of play doesn't mean that it shouldn't be doing so. This game isn't neither inherently PvP nor PvE. Just because the devs have decided to focus more on PvE content does not mean it is a fundamentally PvE game, or that PvP should learn its place as a mini-game.

Edited by JediMasterSLC