Intergalactic Strike Day?

Nemarus

It may be that the JC GSF community is not as large of an actual community as it is on TEH (Not being rude). I thought it strange that you were trying to publicize an event that seemed be aimed at TEH and then kinda of retrofit it to JC, given the amount of posters from TEH relative to those on JC (don't get me wrong - spreading the word is really positive and I wish it was more successful as we all enjoyed ourselves on TEH). Having more community involvement will lead others to follow suit, especially with a fun idea like this

I played for 7 matches on JC with 3 people, and we topped the charts every match in stock ships. To me, that doesn't speak to a healthy GSF community as those who possess ability will like leave there to find competition (hence our trips to the harbinger trying to find and overcome the bomberball @ 3am). Maybe make a GSF toon on TEH? :)

I know that wasn't directed towards me, but re: the bolded - that's not rude at all, I think it's fact. It's apparent that the GSF community on TEH is bigger/broader than what we have on JC; or at minimum, you're more committed. This whole thread has been proof of that.

That said, I don't get the "aimed at TEH" part of your comment. This is the GSF forum, not TEH forum (even if it seems like the latter sometimes). I think Nemarus' OP was pretty clearly aimed at everyone, across all GSF communities. There was nothing to "retrofit" here; nothing specific to TEH in the parameters of the event. I started the JC thread myself, though I guess nobody read it (except for BD).

And while our community may not match yours, some of us are working on it. Or at least trying. I love GSF, but it's still just one component of the game for me; I may create a TEH GSF toon just to see what life is like over there, but I'm not going to leave the server solely for that reason.

btw, it really should be intragalactic

...lol, I was actually thinking this, but decided to keep it to myself. Intergalactic has a better ring to it even if it isn't technically accurate.

Edited by MaximilianPower

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After last night, I'm further inclined to believe that GSF's fun and accessibility would be massively improved if burst damage was drastically reduced across the board. Obviously one night is only enough to make an impression, and not to justify calling for extreme changes. It may be that subsequent Strike Nights fall into some pattern where everyone flies the same build and it's boring, and we yearn for the offensive variety of Scouts, Gunships and Bombers. But it's something to keep in mind.

So at some risk of partially derailing the thread for a bit, here are my thoughts on this.

There was still noticeable burst, but the sources and the responses were a bit different.

Where there was burst it tended to be from 'heavy' secondary weapons with a low rate of fire or from ships jointly targeting the same target. Burst from primary weapons was nonexistent, and burst from cooldowns was moderate and not stackable.

In terms of countering burst situational awareness and defensive flying were primary, shields absorbing damage was very significant, and defensive cooldowns were very useful but couldn't compete with shields and piloting for overall defensive utility.

My takeaway from this is that overly frequent cooldowns, overly powerful cooldowns, and stackable cooldowns tend to swamp the other aspects of GSF gameplay. It tends to dumb things down into to a cooldown stacking contest, which while very fast paced, isn't actually all that much fun.

Normal GSF isn't badly out of whack balance wise, but this does make me think that being liberal when applying nerfbats to cooldowns might not be as castastrophic as I would have though earlier. Though with some of the ship classes that are designed to be cooldown dependent they might need some baseline alterations if they're to be weaned off of an excessive cooldown style of existence.

I agree with the sentiment that strike night gameplay was more satisfying. It felt much more like I got the other pilot or they got me. Kills deserved a, "Well, done. Good flying there." a much greater proportion of the time than they do in normal GSF play.

:rak_mad: (this icon is no longer canon :()

Until there is a movie (or new book/comic book) that says otherwise, anything that is connected to KotoR will always be canon to me :tran_cool:

But that's an argument for a different thread.

I personally really liked Strike Night. I felt a lot more competent flying my favorite ships, the strikes, and had a lot of fun and some intense dog fights. I really hope that the next one is even more successful.

I'm also not averse to doing a night for another ship role, be it scout, GS, or Bomber. I will be honest and say that if there are GS nights or Bomber nights I will probably not be taking either one to seriously. I'm terribad with a railgun, and bombers move so slow that matches would be crawling forever...and ever...and ever...and ever...and ever...and ever...and ever...and ever...and ever...until the timer finally runs out. I will say that I think the Strike fighter is best suited for one of these ship role specific nights because of its multi-role nature. There are a lot of different ways you can build a strike and be competitive, and I think that really showed on Monday. The other ship roles...the few viable builds they have I can't see it being as fun, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by Caernos

/agree with Aimbot, the Renegade Squadron was a sight when I first spawned with them. I too cheered confusingly at the sense of style they were invoking but wondering who the hell they were!?

I'm not sure if anyone ever answered this, but that's "The Bastion crew" (Drakolich, myself, Jennipher/Gunsheep, Bluerae, Verain/Vailx, Aquilon-tune and others we frequently talk to and play with/against). We all decided to have some laughs and fun that night so we created the rest of a "Renegade Squadron" with level 1 Jedi Knights in Republic Ace pilot suits and queued up quite a few games. I don't even remember which of us was which, but that was part of the point in making those characters.

The games were fun, and all posturing and OP ship garbage/whining aside, I think it was a great idea! I enjoyed hunting down enemy Flashfires/Stings and what not in a stock strike fighter - it was very amusing. I wish I had had more strike fighter options, but I was playing on a toon I don't plan on "farming" req. on. :)

It's also interesting that Nem's conclusion is similar to what I've been trying to get across a while now, I just don't really tend to push opinions nearly as much because I like to read entire threads before I post (this isn't an attack, keep reading). Sometimes you guys/gals post huge walls of text and I confess to being an illiterate (also, I read during a lot of my spare time so reading even more walls can be tedious ;) ). I will say that I feel like strikes have good burst damage, but it is much more reliant upon skill and not on chance (slug railgun crit) or pressing 1/2 buttons (TT/BO/CF). I think that's fine. I think the excessive 0.5 second full-to-dead or instant-kills are what need to go.

In either case, have fun tonight!

Edited by TrinityLyre

I think the excessive 0.5 second full-to-dead or instant-kills are what need to go.

If that went, I might play more. As it stands, it sucks playing my toons that haven't done GSF, they get obliterated and it's no fun playing my toon with the really modded ships. (In the latter case, he's obliterating people instantly instead of getting toasted instantly.) Not enough people playing for good matchmaking, so it tends to be a team of really modded ships v a team of mostly unmodded with the expected results.

Don't forget, Strike Night on The Ebon Hawk tomorrow! I personally won't be there (going to E3), but let's make sure the tradition continues!

Spread the word, early and often, in forums and [Guild] and [Gsf]!

And if someone doesn't participate, don't come down too hard on them. The idea is to make sure people know it's happening and give them the opportunity to participate. You can encourage them and tell them it's fun, but please don't hurl insults.

I'm back in town, and will be trying to get everyone on The Ebon Hawk to resume the tradition of Strike day tomorrow. I know it's hard with the new ships and all ... but don't neglect your poor old Strikes! You can fly the other stuff during the other 6 days a week!

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, strike night on Ebon Hawk is generally pretty fun to fly. The games seem to get pretty intense every week, and it gives me a decent reason to dust off strikes when I usually am in stings and gunships. c:

Strike Night on the Ebon Hawk tonight! Be there!

Bah! I haven't played in almost a week!! All I want is to slug it up and yall are like "XWING XWING!!!!!" You strike pilots make me sick!!! Still, my star guard and pike will get some play.... and no stupid type 2 uber evasive ships either..... screw it, this'll be fun! Cya tonight :p

Edit: Another nice thing about Mondays on TEH - I have yet to receive a hacking accusation, whereas they're all too common on any other day :)

Edited by SammyGStatus

Thanks to Zojata & Phinic (not sure how you spelled it) for forming a striker wing with my clarion, made my night & made me feel useful in clarion throwing out the heals, shield buffs & re-arming. Zojata was spamming ion & clusters like no ones business racking 20 kill scores in his star guard. Strikers were down to 50% on both pub & imp side with complaints in both chats. Let's keep it civil & remember, strike night is an optional community initiated event that can be lots of fun. I know I had fun trying to support my wingmates while avoiding the missile spam :)

- J'exx (republic privateer) 55 'slinger THE Ebon Hawk

Thanks to Zojata & Phinic (not sure how you spelled it) for forming a striker wing with my clarion, made my night & made me feel useful in clarion throwing out the heals, shield buffs & re-arming. Zojata was spamming ion & clusters like no ones business racking 20 kill scores in his star guard. Strikers were down to 50% on both pub & imp side with complaints in both chats. Let's keep it civil & remember, strike night is an optional community initiated event that can be lots of fun. I know I had fun trying to support my wingmates while avoiding the missile spam :)

- J'exx (republic privateer) 55 'slinger THE Ebon Hawk

Edit: Another nice thing about Mondays on TEH - I have yet to receive a hacking accusation, whereas they're all too common on any other day :)

That is what happens when you name one of your characters Aimbot and you are really awesome at GSF :p

-Mystogyn

Guys..... what are the times that most people are on for Strike Nite? I am west coast and get on around 9 pst but that seems to be a bit too late since TEH is an east coast server. I came over from Harbinger and specifically ran up a FT-8 to play with you. Seem to be doing well and am in the top 1 or 2 spots most games, but I want to see how bad I really am.

C

Guys..... what are the times that most people are on for Strike Nite? I am west coast and get on around 9 pst but that seems to be a bit too late since TEH is an east coast server. I came over from Harbinger and specifically ran up a FT-8 to play with you. Seem to be doing well and am in the top 1 or 2 spots most games, but I want to see how bad I really am.

C

Check the Ebon Hawk thread linked in the original post. I am west coast also, but try to get on 6-7 PST.