Celebrity Names?

Celwinn

What is Bioware's stance on using Celebrity Names? On my server, I've come across a guild that uses them. (I am 99.9% sure these are just ordinary people using them, and not the celebrities themselves).

I've been reporting there names awhile now, but I still see them.

What kind of names are they using?

The only name I have ever reported was a dude named "Adolf Hess". :rolleyes:

Actual names.

I've seen (and reported): These are off the top of my head. There are a few more.

VictoriaJustice

MattDamon

JustinBieber

What is Bioware's stance on using Celebrity Names? On my server, I've come across a guild that uses them. (I am 99.9% sure these are just ordinary people using them, and not the celebrities themselves).

Rules of Conduct.

You're right.

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

looking over that naming policy, I can defnitely say there's not enough enforcement. I've seen players sporting names for every category they've mentioned there. I obviously don't report enough. :rak_01::rak_01:

Same :eek:

looking over that naming policy, I can defnitely say there's not enough enforcement. I've seen players sporting names for every category they've mentioned there. I obviously don't report enough. :rak_01::rak_01:

There is no active enforcement. It is expected to be policed by the players themselves using the report system.

Sadly, not many do report and instead just assume there are no rules.

While I don't necessarily appreciate a name like "Adolph Hess" because I probably understand the user's intent, there is nothing particularly wrong with the name from a real life historical or sociological perspective. While the name Adolph often conjures that infamous leader of the Third Reich and the name (Rudolph) Hess as one of his early deputies, conjoining the two names does not seem reproachable.

Historically, Adolph Hess was a notable early coin collector. Pretty harmless.

Also, a lot of people enjoy Coors beer, despite its founder being Adolph Coors.

I also wonder why people get so wrapped around the axle (Isadora Duncan style) about others' names, let alone spending time reporting them, especially those that do not bear a gratuitous sexual or otherwise offensive connotation.

I had Anakin Skywalker (with Anakin having umlauts (¨) and other modifiers) and Obiwan Kenobi (with a single modifier) in a soloqueue ranked arena :D

Found it pretty hilarious, considering that they both used gear that was reminscent of the gear they used in the movies, and that combined with Obi being in soresu form... unfortunately, Anakin was in shii-cho :o

Are they paying customers? If so, Bioware doesn't care. Let the real Justin'beiber worry about protecting his name.

I encourage the inclusion of a Justin'beiber character on every opposing PvP team. This needs to be done for reasons. :D

Because ppl don't care.....what some random player names his character doesn't concern me or affect my game. I've seen players with random celebrity names. Some of them even took the time to make their characters LOOK like those celebs. I usually compliment em and keep on moving. There are plenty of ppl doing things in game that are disruptive like bullying other players, trolling new players, and generally being a-holes. THEM I'll report......gold sellers get reported. Ppl with names I don't like get ignored.

*Drops mic, adds another variation of "George Zimmerman" to the ignore list, & adds "Huey Newton and Bobby Seale" to friends list.

Looks like I need to rename all my characters

I dunno, celebrity names can grant a psychological edge.

For totally random example, every time a villain named Lebron James interrupted my cap attempts leveling in lowbies I was laughing too hard to do much about it.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I ran around JM with the name "Justin" (inspired by the Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH character) for 4 or 5 levels until I remembered that there are at least two pop culture references that have ruined that name for the next 50 years or so. It was a headsmacking "duh" moment for me.

I also wonder why people get so wrapped around the axle (Isadora Duncan style) about others' names, let alone spending time reporting them, especially those that do not bear a gratuitous sexual or otherwise offensive connotation.

Because internet. Duh. -bp

Actual names.

I've seen (and reported): These are off the top of my head. There are a few more.

VictoriaJustice

MattDamon

JustinBieber

Im pretty sure you can use `Justinßieber`. I created a character with this name , once ... just for spamming :p . I dont know what keyboard are you using but , ctrl+alt+s = ß , works for me. In game , this `ß` looking like a capital B.

Edited by iankalo

I dunno, celebrity names can grant a psychological edge.

For totally random example, every time a villain named Lebron James interrupted my cap attempts leveling in lowbies I was laughing too hard to do much about it.

I'm not going to but I suppose some lame could report me for all of my names. I've had to change my legacy name once because it got reported but I no longer display because it's a pain when healing to see who has the ball when people have stupid long names like:

Wannabe'Boba Wayttoolonglegacyname, Grand Champion of the Great Hunt

So as a favor to my fellow healers I only rock my character name, no titles/legacy name

I've been reporting there names awhile now, but I still see them. [/color]

Ehhhhh , .... celebrities are not unique. There are ppl with the same names. If you make some movies or songs that not make you unique. Nobody can be called Matt Damon , which is a really common name. Or Justin Bieber , after there are actors/singers with this name?

For example , if you type my real name .... there is a famous basketball player with that name. So , Im not real? I cant use my character name ? I should be banned for that ?

Edited by iankalo

I'm not going to but I suppose some lame could report me for all of my names. I've had to change my legacy name once because it got reported but I no longer display because it's a pain when healing to see who has the ball when people have stupid long names like:

Wannabe'Boba Wayttoolonglegacyname, Grand Champion of the Great Hunt

So as a favor to my fellow healers I only rock my character name, no titles/legacy name

What kind of degenerate reports legacy names...

Same here I canned all but name after playing op heal during the let's-all-smash cluster period. I wish more would. Sorry throne breakers, not squinting to see which one's you.

Edited by Joesixxpack