Sawbones hybrid spec

I've been playing the game for a couple of weeks now, and I just started a Smuggler and I really love it a lot! I picked the class because my first character is a tank, so I thought I'd give healing a try, but I've hit a small problem: I know that generally (especially in PvP, which I do a fair bit of), healing classes don't do too much damage. With that in mind, I'm wondering whether I ought to go straight heals and hope for a good group, or whether to hybrid.

I'd been kicking around the hybrid idea, but I've seen some disagreement on whether Scrapper or DF is the better hybrid spec. Any advice? Or should I let go of the hybrid idea and just go straight heals?

I use a hybrid 22/1/23 spec. It's great for solo questing and Flashpoints, and seems to do alright in PVP. I've been too self conscious to try it in Ops so far.

The healing is noticeably weaker, but it's still good enough to keep a few people alive as long as there's not too much focus fire. While you don't suddenly become any sort of DPS monster, it definitely helps bosses go down faster, and I've seen more than a few players stop and reconsider their life choices when they're hit with multiple back to back Wounding Shots.

IMO Dirty Fighting is the better mix with Sawbones. Scrapper seems to do its own thing and not really add much to Sawbones, and our heavy use of SRM for healing tends to result in us being forever in combat, so no stealth except through Disappearing Act.

DF gives another long range DoT (which is aoe and can slow enemies to boot) to maintain on bosses, energy return on DoT crit, 12% crit chance on periodic effects (by wording this should include SRM, though I'm not totally sure), shorter CD on Cool Head, and I've found that extra 10 energy on Pugnacity to be surprisingly useful. Also, 6m might not seem much of a difference in range, but I've found it really does help.

• 2 weeks later...
I use a hybrid 22/1/23 spec. It's great for solo questing and Flashpoints, and seems to do alright in PVP. I've been too self conscious to try it in Ops so far.

The healing is noticeably weaker, but it's still good enough to keep a few people alive as long as there's not too much focus fire. While you don't suddenly become any sort of DPS monster, it definitely helps bosses go down faster, and I've seen more than a few players stop and reconsider their life choices when they're hit with multiple back to back Wounding Shots..

One thing I'd want to do different would be to find a way to get Psych Meds in there. 23/0/23 would do it, and it's very useful to have the ability to clear negative mental effects both in PvE and PvP.

The healing is noticeably weaker, but it's still good enough to keep a few people alive as long as there's not too much focus fire. While you don't suddenly become any sort of DPS monster, it definitely helps bosses go down faster, and I've seen more than a few players stop and reconsider their life choices when they're hit with multiple back to back Wounding Shots.

IMO Dirty Fighting is the better mix with Sawbones. Scrapper seems to do its own thing and not really add much to Sawbones, and our heavy use of SRM for healing tends to result in us being forever in combat, so no stealth except through Disappearing Act.

DF gives another long range DoT (which is aoe and can slow enemies to boot) to maintain on bosses, energy return on DoT crit, 12% crit chance on periodic effects (by wording this should include SRM, though I'm not totally sure), shorter CD on Cool Head, and I've found that extra 10 energy on Pugnacity to be surprisingly useful. Also, 6m might not seem much of a difference in range, but I've found it really does help.

but you aint healing i guess