"Cantina Tour"- Why is this front page news?

Xcontentia

I agree. I can't say I care about these tours either, other than I know they're siphoning money off the game to fund their little parties instead of using it on the game. I cringe everytime I see a location....Oh, London, Paris, Vancouver, Los Angeles...Germany...hell I'm surprised they're not taking their road show to Australia. I'd better not give them any ideas.

I never see answers that I want to see, or even any indication that what I want to see will happen, so yeah, I get a bit testy when I hear about their globe trotting adventures full of beer, swag and good times. Whatever. <.<

*waits for the inevitable tarring and feathering by the party crowd*

Edited by Lunafox

I agree. I can't say I care about these tours either, other than I know they're siphoning money off the game to fund their little parties instead of using it on the game. I cringe everytime I see a location....Oh, London, Paris, Vancouver, Los Angeles...Germany...hell I'm surprised they're not taking their road show to Australia. I'd better not give them any ideas.

I never see answers that I want to see, or even any indication that what I want to see will happen, so yeah, I get a bit testy when I hear about their globe trotting adventures full of beer, swag and good times. Whatever. <.<

*waits for the inevitable tarring and feathering by the party crowd*

You still don't understand this do you? It's called marketing. That budget is spent on, well, marketing. These cantina tours coincide with another event that the marketing team will already be attending. So actually, they are saving money.

You still don't understand this do you? It's called marketing. That budget is spent on, well, marketing. These cantina tours coincide with another event that the marketing team will already be attending. So actually, they are saving money.

Yup - marketing - Good marketing would have made me click the link.

TL;DR - let the event pass and let me click the link do Dulfy.net for the "news" and new pics.

Edited by Xcontentia

I'm ok with it. No commercials or any other advertising I can see, they need to do something. Unfortunately I too find myself disappointed with the questions asked at some of the cantinas.

go to youtube, I have seen the nar shadaa housing trailer like 10 times this week on their, plus little banner ads on the bottom of my videos.

Really, I do not get it. Prob fun for the devs (that are not deving) and the X folks getting some usb-key with new cartel stuff and free drinks.

Because they have no real news to share. Unfortunately, Bioware is a game with Big Time MMO potential, but an indie MMO mentality, where every tiny thing is blown out of proportion into a huge holy deal.

I don't think they need to continue galavanting around the world to entertain tiny groups of fans in choice locales. I understand marketing, I just don't agree that this is the way to go about it. It's a waste.

If they were actually giving people answers that they could be excited about, that'd be one thing, but telling people over and over that their hopes and dreams for the game are not going to be realized isn't terribly effective. It's disheartening tbh.

After the buzz of the beer and chicken fingers fades, what are you left with? The sad fact that Class stories aren't likely to be extended..ever...cross queues won't happen, no eta on new species...or dealing with any of the the things that people usually ask, because most of the questions are fairly similar. People are left with a bad taste in their mouth, and the realization, that this is it...none of the things they want will happen...at least not for a very long time.

How is this a positive marketing scheme?

Edited by Lunafox

Really, I do not get it. Prob fun for the devs (that are not deving) and the X folks getting some usb-key with new cartel stuff and free drinks.

So you would rather they don't connect with the player base? Lord knows these forums are 99% self-serving complaints.

I much look forward to attending this as it coincides with Comic-Con. Of course they aren't going to have revolutionary concepts at each and every meet-up, but the fact they're going to a variety of HIGH POPULATION CENTERS to converse and meet their players is awesome in my book.

So you would rather they don't connect with the player base? Lord knows these forums are 99% self-serving complaints.

I much look forward to attending this as it coincides with Comic-Con. Of course they aren't going to have revolutionary concepts at each and every meet-up, but the fact they're going to a variety of HIGH POPULATION CENTERS to converse and meet their players is awesome in my book.

Tell you what - they should create like their own forum to connect with their player base and do events when they really have something big to share. That would be front page stuff.

Edited by Xcontentia

Your personal preference is they do events when they have something big to share.

A vast majority of the community SCREAMED for transparency, and they're providing.

Transparency? Yup, I really hope the handfull of people attending said event will bring back the road map for 2014 and post it here - where the player base is.

Edited by Xcontentia

I've only checked out the FB pages for the Los Angeles event and the San Diego event. The Los Angeles event has 204 people going, and as of yet the San Diego page has 65 people. I can assure you, with Comic-Con so close that number will sky-rocket.

Regardless from just two events, they're catering to 300 players. That's fricken awesome. Perhaps you should add a suggestion that allows you to earmark your subscription fee, so you can determine where they spend their money.

I don't think they need to continue galavanting around the world to entertain tiny groups of fans in choice locales. I understand marketing, I just don't agree that this is the way to go about it. It's a waste.

If they were actually giving people answers that they could be excited about, that'd be one thing, but telling people over and over that their hopes and dreams for the game are not going to be realized isn't terribly effective. It's disheartening tbh.

After the buzz of the beer and chicken fingers fades, what are you left with? The sad fact that Class stories aren't likely to be extended..ever...cross queues won't happen, no eta on new species...or dealing with any of the the things that people usually ask, because most of the questions are fairly similar. People are left with a bad taste in their mouth, and the realization, that this is it...none of the things they want will happen...at least not for a very long time.

How is this a positive marketing scheme?

OH THE HUMANITY.

Seriously. Give it a rest. If you don't understand why there is actually a marketing budget for these things, no one here is going to convince you.

Short Version: Interaction with the developers, in a real world setting, gives a "face" to the game. It also gives the development team to chance to hear and respond to questions in a manner that might otherwise seem trivial on the forums. Most people have had really positive experiences at these things even if they don't hear what the want to hear.

Get over yourself and your notions of how it should work. Money isn't being pulled from the game for this. Its all part of EA's travel and marketing accounts.

OH THE HUMANITY.

Seriously. Give it a rest. If you don't understand why there is actually a marketing budget for these things, no one here is going to convince you.

Short Version: Interaction with the developers, in a real world setting, gives a "face" to the game. It also gives the development team to chance to hear and respond to questions in a manner that might otherwise seem trivial on the forums. Most people have had really positive experiences at these things even if they don't hear what the want to hear.

Get over yourself and your notions of how it should work. Money isn't being pulled from the game for this. Its all part of EA's travel and marketing accounts.

I disagree. I don't think I need to see anyone's face. I see enough of them on their promotional videos, when they make annoucements worth hearing. If they actually used the forums and answered peoples concerns in their yellow text more often here, the forums wouldn't seem so trivial, as you say.

Why don't you follow your own advice, and 'get over yourself'. There is no need to be condescending or nasty, just because our viewpoints clash.

I don't think the cantina tours do this game any good at all, because everything is on the wall of crazy, and everything is too technically impossible to achieve, but here, look at the lovely stuff we have for you coming up on the cash shop. :)

Seems like a waste of money to me too. Spending thousands of dollars every event to answer the same questions for a couple of hundred current players, doesn't seem very productive. Meanwhile they do very little community development on their own website, you know, things like live chats where they can answer the exact same questions, but for no extra money and have thousands of current players in attendance. Or maybe use that money to get a booth at the events and try to attract new players?

Seems like a waste of money to me too. Spending thousands of dollars every event to answer the same questions for a couple of hundred current players, doesn't seem very productive. Meanwhile they do very little community development on their own website, you know, things like live chats where they can answer the exact same questions, but for no extra money and have thousands of current players in attendance. Or maybe use that money to get a booth at the events and try to attract new players?

guess you are not aware of the two live streams they do each week on Thursdays and Fridays.

guess you are not aware of the two live streams they do each week on Thursdays and Fridays.

I was under the impression that those were just streams of staff members doing low level pvp & flashpoints, not moderated Q&A sessions. While I think those are great, it's not what I was referring to. They have done live chats it the past.

Edited by Damask_Rose

Yes exactly! Marketing money should be spent to attract new players to the game. The cantina tours cater to existing players, and like you say, the chats could be done on the cheap, with many more current people participating. Perhaps, if they went on Reddit and did AMA's regularly or with different community members, they'd catch some more people in that way too.

1. I don't see a problem with it. They have budgets for each specific area of a business and EA is no different.

2. You say you want them to chat with the people in the forums? Have you read 90% of the forums lately? I don't think I would want to subject them to the rude and disrespectful behavior and language some of the people tend to sprout off in the forums. When people in the forums can behave like civilized adults instead of behaving like a child when they don't get their way maybe then I can see them having things like that with the forum individuals but at the moment there are few forum posters that know how to act like a respectful adult. For some reason doing thing where you can see a person the other person most of the time acts like a civilized adult when you have the internet people start behaving like a 2 year old child because they blame the internet for their behavior .

3. In addition, I can remember when they started doing these Cantina Tours people were asking them when they were coming to their city so it seems that there are quite a few people who actually enjoy the cantina tour and look forward to meeting some of the devs.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I was under the impression that those were just streams of staff members doing low level pvp & flashpoints, not moderated Q&A sessions. While I think those are great, it's not what I was referring to. They have done live chats it the past.

they answer a lot of questions that are asked in chat during the stream.

Yes exactly! Marketing money should be spent to attract new players to the game. The cantina tours cater to existing players, and like you say, the chats could be done on the cheap, with many more current people participating. Perhaps, if they went on Reddit and did AMA's regularly or with different community members, they'd catch some more people in that way too.

Actually marketing is not binary... as you are suggesting. Yes, you market for new players... but you also market to existing players too.

And let's not forget that forum membership kept tearing them a new one every week about sharing information AND interacting with players. Cantina's do that nicely.. and frankly... a little face time IS good marketing targeted at existing players.

I'm not saying the Cantina's are the best thing since sliced bread.... but they have indeed been popular and they do dove-tail most of them with other things they are doing.... like the San Diego event which coincides with ComicCon..... probably one of the best venue to market to SW fans (be they current subscribers, or potential new customers).