Advanced class switch

Sithsombrero

Mark me down as one of those people who just doesn't see the point of allowing AC swapping if there's a huge, recurring cost and/or cooldown associated with it. A steep, one-time cost on a per character basis? Sure, especially if its tied to the Market and can generate some revenue. Small, recurring cost also tied to the CM to generate revenue? Ok - probably wouldn't be my preference, but sure. Punitive cost and cooldown? Not very appealing.

I have a set number of characters that I'm willing to level up. That won't change with or without AC swapping. What could keep my interest longer is the ability to swap back and forth between AC's at will.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Punitive cost and cooldown? Not very appealing.
It shouldn't be appealing. That's the point. It's an option you take because it's the right choice for you — like paying for an expensive character rename.

ACs should still exist and matter, and people should still see a point to leveling new characters. That's all healthy for the game.

Being absolutely held to a decision you made blindly at level 10 is something I don't approve of, though.

Why do you think it will cost them subs?

Additionally, most of what you said here is why I would like it behind a legacy/high CC cost/level the mirror AC/all of the above gate. I think that if you gate it hard enough people will really think about making a change & unless they are in a situation like mine (55 toon on your account that you absolutely are not going to play) I think they will not bother. It should absolutely not be a "switch every time the other AC for my class gets a buff" that would be silly.

There are many players who feel that your AC IS your class and this has been backed up by BW officials. Check the other threads for the quotes. I think there are many players who feel strongly enough that class changes are a huge NO-NO, that there will be a loss of subs if BW allows players to change class.

I read your suggestion about setting everything back to 10 except class stories & to be honest that sounds more painful than KDY to 50 & then just going back & running class stories & then into Makeb to 55. I'm not attached to the character so much as I don't want to go through the leveling process again.

Leveling for me has never been part of the fun of the game, it's the gate that keeps me from playing the real game (for me that's end game PvE content & I understand that many people are the exact opposite). I will say that the leveling in ToR is head and shoulders above most MMO's out there (wow, rift, star trek, lotr to name a few I have tried), I just didn't really dig the smuggler story that much & have no desire to replay it & after leveling 4 characters normally though planets, I can assure you I never want to do any of the side quests ever again. I liked the JK story line enough that after leveling a guardian, I'm already working (level 29 so far) on a sentinel for the express purpose of replaying the story.

That is your choice. It appears to me that you are too averse to the modicum of effort required to actually level that new class, instead expecting someone else to solve your perceived "problem". I prefer to solve my own problems, especially if a mechanic already exists in game to allow me to play that other class.

Here's where I think we may have to agree to disagree. You are talking about a game you pay money to play as if it was a job that pays you money to show up. I apologize but I see those as two completely different dynamics that are really not compatible. One I am paying to have fun, the other is paying me for my hard work & expertise. I do not believe that those are the same thing.

The specifics may be different, but the concept is the same. Effort put forth IN THE PAST does not preclude the existence or possibility of LAZINESS in the future or present.

IMO, you simply want to use the excuse that this is just a game in and attempt to justify laziness. I'll say it again, effort put forth IN THE PAST does not preclude the existence or possibility of LAZINESS in the future or present.

That is just crazy talk. There should absolutely be STEEP restrictions on it.

Just two posts below yours is this gem:

Mark me down as one of those people who just doesn't see the point of allowing AC swapping if there's a huge, recurring cost and/or cooldown associated with it. A steep, one-time cost on a per character basis? Sure, especially if its tied to the Market and can generate some revenue. Small, recurring cost also tied to the CM to generate revenue? Ok - probably wouldn't be my preference, but sure. Punitive cost and cooldown? Not very appealing.

I have a set number of characters that I'm willing to level up. That won't change with or without AC swapping. What could keep my interest longer is the ability to swap back and forth between AC's at will.

Not asking to be able to change class (AC) willy nilly with no restrictions and no cost, but definitely asking for minor restrictions and/or cost, at best, IMO.

I'll leave you with this fact.

There are already STEEP restrictions on class (AC) changes. Those restrictions are that you cannot change your class (AC). Every player is told at least 4 separate times by 2 different NPC's that you cannot change your class (AC). Every player even has to to acknowledge and confirm that They KNOW AND UNDERSTAND that they cannot change their class (AC).

Yet, here we are in yet another thread asking that the current STEEP restrictions on class (AC) changes be changed or lifted.

If they allowed even restricted class (AC) changes, even if they put STEEP restrictions on allowing class (AC) changes, how long do you think it would be before the first thread popped up asking that THOSE restrictions be changed or lifted?

Edited by Ratajack

Let's not forget that the devs intentionally designed the classes (AC's) such that no single character could fill all three roles AT ANY TIME, and not just at the same time. They did this by keeping the tanking and healing skills in different classes (AC's), and making the choice of class (AC) permanent. The result is that no single character can fill all three roles AT ANY TIME, which was the intent of the devs. Tanks do not have access to healing skills and healers do not have access to tanking skills.

Allowing class (AC) changes would negate this design intent.

I wouldn't want someone to be able to completely fill all 3 roles all the time, but you may want to consider that the design intent that drives ToR now is wildly different than what was intended at launch two and a half years ago. If I hunted long enough I could probably find something gold that says there will never be guild ships.

It shouldn't be appealing. That's the point. It's an option you take because it's the right choice for you — like paying for an expensive character rename.

ACs should still exist and matter, and people should still see a point to leveling new characters. That's all healthy for the game.

Being absolutely held to a decision you made blindly at level 10 is something I don't approve of, though.

And holding a player to a decision that they made BLINDLY at character creation is ok?

Please explain why it is ok to hold a player to the decision of class that they made "blindly" at character creation in the vast majority of other games, and it is totally unfair to hold a player to the choice of class (AC) that they made at level 10 in this game?

I think the difference between myself and most of the other people who post in these threads is that I don't really attach the same significance to the AC. It just seems like restriction for restriction's sake.

I think leveling new characters should be something you want to do as opposed to something you're forced into because you made a bad choice and, having swapped once already, the cost is too prohibitive. I'll level and play (at least intermittently) the characters I have planned with or without AC swapping. The ability to do that just doesn't enter into the 'roll an alt' equation for me.

If they allowed even restricted class (AC) changes, even if they put STEEP restrictions on allowing class (AC) changes, how long do you think it would be before the first thread popped up asking that THOSE restrictions be changed or lifted?

I'd probably start that thread pretty much as soon as they announced what the restrictions would be. :D

There are many players who feel that your AC IS your class and this has been backed up by BW officials. Check the other threads for the quotes. I think there are many players who feel strongly enough that class changes are a huge NO-NO, that there will be a loss of subs if BW allows players to change class.

Ok, I was curious & you may be right. I personally think that would not be the case, but as you said, only BW really knows the answer to that one.

That is your choice. It appears to me that you are too averse to the modicum of effort required to actually level that new class, instead expecting someone else to solve your perceived "problem". I prefer to solve my own problems, especially if a mechanic already exists in game to allow me to play that other class.

Lets say I work a job I love that pays me pretty well in this economy. I work fairly long hours & when I get home don't really wish to spend time cleaning my house. I can pay a maid service to come in & clean it for me. Is this lazy, probably, but the service exists & I would see no issue of taking advantage of it to make my life a little easier & more enjoyable. If I have the available capital.

The specifics may be different, but the concept is the same. Effort put forth IN THE PAST does not preclude the existence or possibility of LAZINESS in the future or present.

IMO, you simply want to use the excuse that this is just a game in and attempt to justify laziness. I'll say it again, effort put forth IN THE PAST does not preclude the existence or possibility of LAZINESS in the future or present.

Again, I disagree. One is entertainment I am paying money for (& have no problem paying an additional premium for a premium service) and the other is a career that someone is paying me for. They are not even remotely the same thing. Do you consider going out to the movies the same as going to your job?

Just two posts below yours is this gem:

Not asking to be able to change class (AC) willy nilly with no restrictions and no cost, but definitely asking for minor restrictions and/or cost, at best, IMO.

*sigh* yeah I saw that too.

I'll leave you with this fact.

There are already STEEP restrictions on class (AC) changes. Those restrictions are that you cannot change your class (AC). Every player is told at least 4 separate times by 2 different NPC's that you cannot change your class (AC). Every player even has to to acknowledge and confirm that They KNOW AND UNDERSTAND that they cannot change their class (AC).

Yet, here we are in yet another thread asking that the current STEEP restrictions on class (AC) changes be changed or lifted.

I suppose that really comes down to what BW & EA think will be best for the long term business model of this game. Additionally that is also why I think this will eventually be an available service, because EA loves the cash money. I'm just hoping for it to be added with some well thought out restrictions that allows them to make a few bucks without throwing the entire game into chaos.

I believe that you & I are sailing in the same boat. :)

I wouldn't want someone to be able to completely fill all 3 roles all the time, but you may want to consider that the design intent that drives ToR now is wildly different than what was intended at launch two and a half years ago. If I hunted long enough I could probably find something gold that says there will never be guild ships.

I know that you could find something that says that guild ships would be coming or at least were on the wall of crazy.

I think that since there has been no redesign of the classes (AC's), even under this new "wildly different" design intent, and that you still cannot change your class (AC), that maybe the design intent is still to keep any single character from filling all three roles AT ANY TIME, and not just at the same time. The original devs did not want a single character to be able to tank, heal and DPS AT ANY TIME and quite possibly, neither does the current design team.

Remember that new a design team and a new "wildly different" design intent does NOT mean that every old design intent is negated or reversed. Many old design intents are often kept in place, even with new design teams.

I would think if this "wildly different" design intent were to allow characters access to all three roles, that we would seen class (AC) changes or a refvamp of the current classes (AC's) by now, or at least heard SOMETHING about one or the other, especially given the new design team's openness and transparency.

My feeling is this:

There are SOOOO many...call them..."warnings" about advanced classes, that those who willfully ignore them should not cry foul because they failed to acknowledge those warnings.

I will take Ratajack's one step further: if one READS the descriptions of the advanced classes, and heeds the warnings that choosing an AC is permanent, and takes a moment to actually THINK about that choice...the choice of AC is LESS blind than that of base class. And even with base class choices there is a LOT of information given at character generation.

If a player ignores and/or chooses not to take advantage of that information then they have no right to cry foul and demand (an even high priced) AC change option.

I have 30+ years of RPG experience and close to 15 years of MMORPG experience, and even I - to this day - still read all the information put in front of me when I make a new character in any game I play.

My feeling is this:

There are SOOOO many...call them..."warnings" about advanced classes, that those who willfully ignore them should not cry foul because they failed to acknowledge those warnings.

I will take Ratajack's one step further: if one READS the descriptions of the advanced classes, and heeds the warnings that choosing an AC is permanent, and takes a moment to actually THINK about that choice...the choice of AC is LESS blind than that of base class. And even with base class choices there is a LOT of information given at character generation.

If a player ignores and/or chooses not to take advantage of that information then they have no right to cry foul and demand (an even high priced) AC change option.

I have 30+ years of RPG experience and close to 15 years of MMORPG experience, and even I - to this day - still read all the information put in front of me when I make a new character in any game I play.

I am not crying foul, I read the warnings & picked gunslinger. Now I am merely saying "Hey BW, I got $20 bucks here if you let me change that gunslinger to a scoundrel." They just have to decide if they want my money or not. This is not game breaking for me nor will it cause me to quit the game if it's not implemented. It would just be nice to get some use out of a character that is otherwise destined to rot on his ship.

Edited by Lorrimar

I think the difference between myself and most of the other people who post in these threads is that I don't really attach the same significance to the AC. It just seems like restriction for restriction's sake.

I think leveling new characters should be something you want to do as opposed to something you're forced into because you made a bad choice and, having swapped once already, the cost is too prohibitive. I'll level and play (at least intermittently) the characters I have planned with or without AC swapping. The ability to do that just doesn't enter into the 'roll an alt' equation for me.

A class of "rogue" is a restriction for restriction's sake, using that logic.

Can a sorcerer stealth? Can a sorcerer tank effectively? Is a sorcerer a melee DPS?

Can an assassin heal effectively? Is an assassin a ranged DPS?

Can a sniper stealth? Can a sniper heal?

Can a marauder wear heavy armor?

Those seem like pretty glaring CLASS (AC) differences to me.

I know there are some ways in which the various classes (AC's) are similar, but a DK has many similarities to a warrior and warlock has many similarities to a mage or a priest, yet they are different classes.

If I decide that I made a "bad choice" in leveling a warrior, should I be able to change that character to a DK or should I have to level a DK if I want to play a DK? Should I be able to change a warlock to mage if they nerf warlocks and I decide I made a "bad choice" when I chose warlock or should I have to level that mage?

A class of "rogue" is a restriction for restriction's sake, using that logic.

Can a sorcerer stealth? Can a sorcerer tank effectively? Is a sorcerer a melee DPS?

Can an assassin heal effectively? Is an assassin a ranged DPS?

Can a sniper stealth? Can a sniper heal?

Can a marauder wear heavy armor?

Those seem like pretty glaring CLASS (AC) differences to me.

I know there are some ways in which the various classes (AC's) are similar, but a DK has many similarities to a warrior and warlock has many similarities to a mage or a priest, yet they are different classes.

If I decide that I made a "bad choice" in leveling a warrior, should I be able to change that character to a DK or should I have to level a DK if I want to play a DK? Should I be able to change a warlock to mage if they nerf warlocks and I decide I made a "bad choice" when I chose warlock or should I have to level that mage?

I disagree that AC = class.

Assuming you're referring to WoW, I do have the ability to swap from rDPS, to heals, to mDPS, to tank all on one character. I see AC more as a restriction between roles as opposed to classes and, if that's the objection of the majority (not being allowed to swap roles at will), that's fine - I just disagree that the restriction is necessary or even all that desirable.

Ok, I was curious & you may be right. I personally think that would not be the case, but as you said, only BW really knows the answer to that one.

That may be one of the reasons why we have not yet seen class (AC) changes implemented, despite the many threads, including one that is over 500 pages.

Lets say I work a job I love that pays me pretty well in this economy. I work fairly long hours & when I get home don't really wish to spend time cleaning my house. I can pay a maid service to come in & clean it for me. Is this lazy, probably, but the service exists & I would see no issue of taking advantage of it to make my life a little easier & more enjoyable. If I have the available capital.

Are you asking that someone "create" a maid service to solve your perceived "problem" of a "messy" house or are you using a "mechanic" that already exists to solve your problem?

The mechanic already exists to allow you to play that new class, but many are asking that someone else "create" a means to solve their perceived "problem" rather than use the existing mechanic to solve it themselves.

Again, I disagree. One is entertainment I am paying money for (& have no problem paying an additional premium for a premium service) and the other is a career that someone is paying me for. They are not even remotely the same thing. Do you consider going out to the movies the same as going to your job?

If I go to the movies and decide that I do not like the movie I payed to see, I do not expect that the movie theater will give me a ticket to another movie simply because I "blindly" made a "bad choice". I would expect to have to start from square one, going back to the ticket counter and purchasing a ticket for a different movie and then wait in line for that movie, just as I would expect to have to go back to square one if I decided I did not like the class (AC) I chose and level a new character.

*sigh* yeah I saw that too.

And here's another one from that answers the final question I posed.

I'd probably start that thread pretty much as soon as they announced what the restrictions would be. :D

I suppose that really comes down to what BW & EA think will be best for the long term business model of this game. Additionally that is also why I think this will eventually be an available service, because EA loves the cash money. I'm just hoping for it to be added with some well thought out restrictions that allows them to make a few bucks without throwing the entire game into chaos.

I've said many times in other threads that I think we may very well see class (AC) changes implemented, but I do not expect to see them in the foreseeable future. I think if we ever see them implemented, it will be at a time when this game is failing and the devs feel they have nothing to lose by implementing class (AC) changes in an attempt to retain as many players as possible and possibly save the game.

If they decide to implement class (AC) changes, I would like to see them do it in such a way as to make it possible, but not necessarily appealing to change class (AC), however that may be. My suggestion is not the only way to make it possible, but not necessarily appealing, I know.

I think that my suggestion goes a long way toward making it possible, but not necessarily appealing to change class. It does still require that a player level that new class, but it also allows that player to keep any items and gear, etc. that the character has. It would essentially be a cost to keep the name, items and gear that a given character has and not having to repeat a story line versus saving some money/credits and starting from level one with no items or gear and a different name and repeating that story line.

I disagree that AC = class.

Assuming you're referring to WoW, I do have the ability to swap from rDPS, to heals, to mDPS, to tank all on one character. I see AC more as a restriction between roles as opposed to classes and, if that's the objection of the majority (not being allowed to swap roles at will), that's fine - I just disagree that the restriction is necessary or even all that desirable.

There is ONE AND ONLY ONE class in WoW that can fill all four of the roles you mentioned.

Can a rogue fill all four roles you mentioned? Can a warrior fill all of those roles? Can a priest, DK, monk, hunter, mage, warlock, shaman or a paladin fill all four of those roles you mentioned?

Those are all DIFFERENT classes in WoW, just as an assassin is a DIFFERENT class than a sorcerer in SWTOR.

Do you think that a player playing a DK should be able to change that DK to a priest if they decide that they want to heal? Do you think that a player playing a hunter should be able to change that hunter to a mage if they nerf hunters, but he still wants to play a ranged DPS character?

Do you find the "restrictions" on classes in WoW to be "necessary and desirable"? If so, then why are the restrictions on class (AC) in SWTOR not necessary or even desirable? Is it because you want to change your class, and anything that does not mesh with that desire cannot be "reasonable"?

Even though I am not agreeing to this your suggestion of 500-1000 cartel coins is too low. If and only if they do this they should make the cost significantly higher say 2000-3000 cartel coins and with a legacy level of at least 35 and a cool down period of 180-360 days.

Or, so restrictive no one would ever use it.

1,000 cc is about £5.

You are not gaining an additional character with bank tabs or the ability to run dailies, or an extra chance to participate in OPs.

The chances are with such a high legacy level you'll have several characters already (not sure how easy it is to get LL35 I've been 50 for so long)

I've never understood the need for any sort of cooldown, at most maybe a few hours so it can't be abused when running OPs.

I think it is reasonable to limit AC swap to a specific location, say one of the original respect vendors on fleet or home planet, or maybe at a terminal on your ship or stronghold.

I think it's reasonable to expect a player to put up some cash (1,000cc) or some time (however long it take to earn the credits to buy the AC swap token off the GTN).

There are also some associated costs depending on the level you swap you'll need to pay for the ranks in the new abilities, and possibly invest in new gear.

An AC swap is far from free.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Or, so restrictive no one would ever use it.

1,000 cc is about £5.

You are not gaining an additional character with bank tabs or the ability to run dailies, or an extra chance to participate in OPs.

The chances are with such a high legacy level you'll have several characters already (not sure how easy it is to get LL35 I've been 50 for so long)

I've never understood the need for any sort of cooldown, at most maybe a few hours so it can't be abused when running OPs.

I think it is reasonable to limit AC swap to a specific location, say one of the original respect vendors on fleet or home planet, or maybe at a terminal on your ship or stronghold.

I think it's reasonable to expect a player to put up some cash (1,000cc) or some time (however long it take to earn the credits to buy the AC swap token off the GTN).

There are also some associated costs depending on the level you swap you'll need to pay for the ranks in the new abilities, and possibly invest in new gear.

An AC swap is far from free.

Respect cannot be bought, at any vendor. It has to be EARNED.

The idea behind STEEP restrictions is to make it POSSIBLE to change class (AC) if there is sufficient motivation to do so, while at the same time not necessarily making it appealing to the point where it becomes trivial to do so.

Why so serious? It's the spell checker being over zealous. I usually remember to go back and knock off the 't', that one slipped through.

The idea behind STEEP restrictions is to make it POSSIBLE to change class (AC) if there is sufficient motivation to do so, while at the same time not necessarily making it appealing to the point where it becomes trivial to do so.

The steepness is the issue. I don't know about you but I can't throw £5 at AC swaps on a whim. It would be a steep enough incline that I'd maybe use it on one or two characters that I want to swap over ACs with.

With respect to other players, all they are interested in is what role you bring to the party and you can swap that at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Vhaegrant

There is ONE AND ONLY ONE class in WoW that can fill all four of the roles you mentioned.

And there are multiple in RIFT.

Look, I get it - you see SWTOR classes and AC's as synonomous. Others may or may not share that point of view. I personally don't. Why do react so aggressively and get so threatened when someone simply disagrees with you?

Why so serious? It's the spell checker being over zealous. I usually remember to go back and knock off the 't', that one slipped through.

Just trying to point out that even in game, some things have to be earned.

The steepness is the issue. I don't know about you but I can't throw £5 at AC swaps on a whim. It would be a steep enough incline that I'd maybe use it on one or two characters that I want to swap over ACs with.

With respect to other players, all they are interested in is what role you bring to the party and you can swap that at the drop of a hat.

5 pounds is less than $9. I don't know about you, but I'm not rich, by any means, and that price would hardly deter me from changing class (AC) on a whim. At that price, I could afford to swap at least at dozen times a week without batting an eye.

Using your example, that it takes you 3 months to level a character, allowing you to change your class (AC) would save you three months of time. It's $15 month for your subscription, so that would be $45 to avoid the three months it would take you to reach max level and be able to partake in end game content on a new character. That would make it $45 to change class (AC). That sounds more reasonable to me. That's less than that other game charges for a max level character.

And there are multiple in RIFT.

Look, I get it - you see SWTOR classes and AC's as synonomous. Others may or may not share that point of view. I personally don't. Why do react so aggressively and get so threatened when someone simply disagrees with you?

Why do you feel so threatened when someone suggests that you actually live with the consequences to which you agreed when you made a choice and confirmed that choice was the one you wanted to make? Why do you feel so threatened when someone brings up the fact that you were advised no less than four times by no less than two different NPC's that your choice was permanent?

Just trying to point out that even in game, some things have to be earned.

It's a game. You play them for fun. If I wanted respect I'd go volunteer at an old folks home or many of the other charitable institutions that do good works.

5 pounds is less than $9. I don't know about you, but I'm not rich, by any means, and that price would hardly deter me from changing class (AC) on a whim. At that price, I could afford to swap at least at dozen times a week without batting an eye.

Seriously? You'd spend £60 a week on AC swaps and not be bothered? Wow, they must pay real well in the States.

Using your example, that it takes you 3 months to level a character, allowing you to change your class (AC) would save you three months of time. It's $15 month for your subscription, so that would be $45 to avoid the three months it would take you to reach max level and be able to partake in end game content on a new character. That would make it $45 to change class (AC). That sounds more reasonable to me. That's less than that other game charges for a max level character.

But, you are not getting an additional character. All you are doing is altering the ability set of the character you do have.

Your so silly to think you "Earned" a advanced class, you chose it but the only thing you earn is skill points.

Why do you feel so threatened when someone suggests that you actually live with the consequences to which you agreed when you made a choice and confirmed that choice was the one you wanted to make? Why do you feel so threatened when someone brings up the fact that you were advised no less than four times by no less than two different NPC's that your choice was permanent?

Living with the consequences of my actions isn't very threatening. I do that every day. :)

Just for grins though, go back and reread my posts without your 'WOAHENTITLEMENT!!111!' glasses on. I'm pretty sure I was clear on the fact that I don't have a problem with leveling the characters I planned on leveling.