marauders just admitted it :(

Aztian

Thank you for that. Read it a while ago (after you posted it) but have not responded since until now.

I will be taking a look at that. FWIW, I have trained myself (FINALLY) to see it. It helps, but it's one more decision to make as Combat. Not an easy spec to play.

NP. It's a bit laggy too, but will give you enough time to line up a sweet gore window without having to look too much at your buffs

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awe....marauders....weakest in pvp....awe....know what, b*tches? Mercs have been in these shoes basically all the way. Especially arsenal mercs. Hardly any time to cast, no survivability. Has anyone in BW given a fack about it? Nope, they've been totally cool with mercs being the worst pvp class of all time. And while marauders aren't the worst pvp class but it's about time you taste some of it. Enjoy :rak_03:

Lets see what you can do hot shot. You think your so gosh darn good lets see what you got. Post a video of you solo no healer backup just like 99% of my WZ's and i will watch you get your face melted in 3-5 seconds guaranteed. Time for talk is over fool , lets see what you can do or shut your mouth about it.

You seem just a little too upset that there is a numbers game behind the scenes that you cannot control. Oh well that's your problem. So yea, lets see your so called "uber damage and survivability " in action. I bet you got nothing.

Most people who think of themselves as scrubs call others that to feel superior. Its a false reality, just like the one you live in. You know, the one where you trash talk people on the internet because you don't have to fear reprisal?

Is this post legit? you sound like one of those pathetic turds who think they're good but are actually garbage and its everybodys fault they lose.

Is this post legit? you sound like one of those pathetic turds who think they're good but are actually garbage and its everybodys fault they lose.

That was a post in response to Skettitangles telling me about his uber damage and survivability while not even breaking 300k in a WZ. Nothing in that post suggests that i think i am good. It was a challenge to him to prove what he's saying. Maybe you need to learn to read a little better or at the very least follow the whole conversation rather than cherry picking a post and trying to trash talk.

A

we....marauders....weakest in pvp....awe....know what, b*tches? Mercs have been in these shoes basically all the way. Especially arsenal mercs. Hardly any time to cast, no survivability. Has anyone in BW given a fack about it? Nope, they've been totally cool with mercs being the worst pvp class of all time. And while marauders aren't the worst pvp class but it's about time you taste some of it. Enjoy

Are you on Crack?

First - nerfing one class doesn't make yours better.

Second - you're comparing a ranged class to a melee class.

Third - Mercs have NO survivability? LOL @ that. L2P . Stun, knockback, two shields, Hydraulic override, and that's off the top of my head.

Mercs ROUTINELY lead the DPS boards in Wzs. I daresay, the problem isn't with the class, it's you.

Here's a pic from a bad WZ which, when I queue solo, I typically get around 50% of the time.. 6 deaths, no killing blows, yet still managed to stay alive long enough against strong opponents to put out 250k damage (6th position overall) and pick up 2 MVPs. No pocket healer... His toon's name is Cookster. Still a fun match because it was challenging. Take from this what you will. BRSSW you've been reported for trolling. Time for you to prove your superiority. Good luck with that

http://postimg.org/image/qdggdt6x9/

I hate to turn this into an epeen show, but my tank routiniely does about twice your damage without issue. You're really going to need to show something more significant before you start downing legitimate posts about the place Marauders/Sentinels have in Regs and Ranked. You have exactly zero wins in ranked PvP, only three total kills, and are currently sitting at a 1050 rating, and your output in Unranked is not anywhere near what players who know the class achieve.

If you were having a bad day, feel free to screenshot some better matches, but for now, your arguments do not hold water.

Edited by Prototypemind

I hate to turn this into an epeen show, but my tank routiniely does about twice your damage without issue. You're really going to need to show something more significant before you start downing legitimate posts about the place Marauders/Sentinels have in Regs and Ranked. You have exactly zero wins in ranked PvP, only three total kills, and are currently sitting at a 1050 rating, and your output in Unranked is not anywhere near what players who know the class achieve.

If you were having a bad day, feel free to screenshot some better matches, but for now, your arguments do not hold water.

What part of "I consider myself an average player" did you miss? If I'm not currently anywhere near where Marauders who are really good are, well, that only backs up my argument which has always been that the class is not broken. I've played a grand total of 4 Ranked Warzones for 4 losses and that was in 180 gear before I realized that was a really stupid idea, so a few kills is actually pretty cool. I don't even know where to look to know what my rating is. Thank you for providing the confirmation of my argument that it's not the class that is broken but it's actually people's playing ability that needs fixing.

Seeing as the trolls on this thread are so demanding of screenshot/video proof of their PvP results, feel free to throw us a screenshot or two that actually confirms you tank claims, oh and you also need to prove you don't have a pocket healer lol

What part of "I consider myself an average player" did you miss? If I'm not currently anywhere near where Marauders who are really good are, well, that only backs up my argument which has always been that the class is not broken. I've played a grand total of 4 Ranked Warzones for 4 losses and that was in 180 gear before I realized that was a really stupid idea, so a few kills is actually pretty cool. I don't even know where to look to know what my rating is. Thank you for providing the confirmation of my argument that it's not the class that is broken but it's actually people's playing ability that needs fixing.

Seeing as the trolls on this thread are so demanding of screenshot/video proof of their PvP results, feel free to throw us a screenshot or two that actually confirms you tank claims, oh and you also need to prove you don't have a pocket healer lol

I have played SWTOR since before 1.2, and I can attest that Mara/Sents are nowhere where they used to be. Although, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

My main is my sentinel, and I have a couple 55 sents on different servers. To start of, I can assure you that it is perfectly reasonable to achieve over 500k in a tank. In fact, if you would just gear your mara in some PvP equipment, you can hit that mark just by spamming massacre.

I do not mean any offense, but if 250 000 is what you would consider normal, than your opinion on this topic is biased. The first time I played my sent and gunslinger after quitting for 5 months, I got over 500k in both Wzs I played with them, with outdated gear. (If you ever get confused with your rotation, just keep spamming normal attacks, use every GCD)

The problem with marauders is that it is much harder to do so than with a ranged class. Their resource system puts them on a disadvantage when they cannot open on someone. Especially with Combat, the better PVP spec, it is also extremely easy to get CCed as melee, which will mis-align all your procs. When I first played PvP in SWTOR, the average time to kill was about 2 to 5 times longer, and all CCs will white bar you for 20 seconds. Now, when I play, I am often disgusted at how often a fight turns into a cc-fest.

All of this heavily uneven the playing field towards the disadvantage or sentinels and marauders. Their specs (smash not included, I considered it a crutch/training for new players) are extremely prone to CCs. Watchman needs to constantly land hits to get the ball rolling on Merciless slash and Zen. Same for Combat, proc, focus, and centering is not generated when you are CCed. Especially when you try PS and master strike, it is just asking for a stun on the battle field.

All though this class is no where near how it used to be, when if you mastered it, you can get 50 kills with only 1 death, it is still viable.

The only changes it needs are:

Overall: Damage taken while CCed is reduced by 30%

Watchman: - Focus generates during CC, Merciless slash and juyo stacks degenerate rather than disappearing, all at once.

Combat: - CC immunity during Zen, free Precision slash for Hand of Justice will not proc unless PS is on CD.

Lol I see how to search the PvP leaderboard now, thanks for the heads up... learn something new everyday!:) That said I'd appreciate all the negative posters on this thread - especially you Prototypemind - to put down at least the name of your Sentinel/Marauder - and your tank Prototypemind - so we can all check out your ranked PvP ratings. I'm asking this because it seems to be something you guys (the ones who are making the argument that Mara is broken or unbalanced in the game) are using as a qualifier of the validity of one's argument. That way we can all get a better, more transparent understanding of the level we are all playing at and it may well influence the opinions being shared here or at least change some of our perspectives on each others points of view

I have played SWTOR since before 1.2, and I can attest that Mara/Sents are nowhere where they used to be. Although, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

My main is my sentinel, and I have a couple 55 sents on different servers. To start of, I can assure you that it is perfectly reasonable to achieve over 500k in a tank. In fact, if you would just gear your mara in some PvP equipment, you can hit that mark just by spamming massacre.

I do not mean any offense, but if 250 000 is what you would consider normal, than your opinion on this topic is biased. The first time I played my sent and gunslinger after quitting for 5 months, I got over 500k in both Wzs I played with them, with outdated gear. (If you ever get confused with your rotation, just keep spamming normal attacks, use every GCD)

The problem with marauders is that it is much harder to do so than with a ranged class. Their resource system puts them on a disadvantage when they cannot open on someone. Especially with Combat, the better PVP spec, it is also extremely easy to get CCed as melee, which will mis-align all your procs. When I first played PvP in SWTOR, the average time to kill was about 2 to 5 times longer, and all CCs will white bar you for 20 seconds. Now, when I play, I am often disgusted at how often a fight turns into a cc-fest.

All of this heavily uneven the playing field towards the disadvantage or sentinels and marauders. Their specs (smash not included, I considered it a crutch/training for new players) are extremely prone to CCs. Watchman needs to constantly land hits to get the ball rolling on Merciless slash and Zen. Same for Combat, proc, focus, and centering is not generated when you are CCed. Especially when you try PS and master strike, it is just asking for a stun on the battle field.

All though this class is no where near how it used to be, when if you mastered it, you can get 50 kills with only 1 death, it is still viable.

The only changes it needs are:

Overall: Damage taken while CCed is reduced by 30%

Watchman: - Focus generates during CC, Merciless slash and juyo stacks degenerate rather than disappearing, all at once.

Combat: - CC immunity during Zen, free Precision slash for Hand of Justice will not proc unless PS is on CD.

http://postimg.org/image/40hczzd5p/

I'm capable of hitting well over 500k.... The 250k result was to illustrate a solo queue match up without a pocket healer against strong, well organized opposition. I'm one of the few players on this thread that's had the balls to actually show my Marauder's capabilities and my level of play with actual evidence. My best parse so far in Carnage spec is 3229 TTK 5:12 which is about the 80% mark of top world parses. I consider this to be a "pass" mark which means I at least know the basics of the rotation. If you're worried about topping dps scores more so than throwing down predations, ccing stacked groups of opposition, skirmishing and los-ing, harrassing healers, and playing objectives, then you're not playing the Marauder class correctly in modern PvP

http://postimg.org/image/40hczzd5p/

I'm capable of hitting well over 500k.... The 250k result was to illustrate a solo queue match up without a pocket healer against strong, well organized opposition. I'm one of the few players on this thread that's had the balls to actually show my Marauder's capabilities and my level of play with actual evidence. My best parse so far in Carnage spec is 3229 TTK 5:12 which is about the 80% mark of top world parses. I consider this to be a "pass" mark which means I at least know the basics of the rotation. If you're worried about topping dps scores more so than throwing down predations, ccing stacked groups of opposition, skirmishing and los-ing, harrassing healers, and playing objectives, then you're not playing the Marauder class correctly in modern PvP

Yeah, the other parse is pretty impressive, and Awe-ing groups of enemies is one of my favorite thing to do as a Sent.

I am not denying that Marauders/Sentinels have it pretty good in the DPS department. My personal opinion is that of all classes, they should get CC protection.

Currently, the way they are now is not "fine." Besides throwing down trascendance and inspiration every once in a while, the class' actual fighting capabilities is very lackluster. Range can do just as much DPS (snipers), and stealth classes have better, and more controlled bursts.

Melee is heavily punished in these game, and while our DCDs and DPS may seem okay, range classes have the advantage of being ranged.

If you would take a look at the leadership boards, sent and mara entries are rather scarce. The class is viable, but under-performing compared to the others.

The discussion on this thread has been, for the most part, really cool and I'd like to thank the original poster for initiating it. I've seen some interesting points of view coming from both sides of the debate. In summary, two schools of thought that have emerged: Marauder/Sentinels are a weak/broken class for PvP, and the opposing ideology that they are viable for PvP in the current state of the game.

The thing that has struck me as noteworthy about this debate is the nature of the posts coming from both sides of the debate being quite distinct. Those that are putting forward the view that the class is not viable have been rather aggressive in their commentary, demanding proof of other player's abilities, and generally trash-talking those on the other side without so much as putting a toon name to go with their comments. Those who have been arguing that the class is viable when played well have been more than forthcoming with their toon's identity and have been quite generous with video links, screenshots, etc. The side that has been advocating the class as viable also seem quite humble and humorous in comparison to the posters on the other side of the debate.

Players like Tealord and Bleezar have shown us their perspective from the top end of the PvP rankings. TrillOG, arguably the world's best PvE Sentinel, has shared his thoughts with grace and dignity in an attempt to help players better understand the class. Mid-range players like myself have weighed in with our perspective in a positive manner and attempted to be helpful whilst keeping an open mind as to some of the issues being raised.

So, I'm gonna go down a notch here and get a little nasty.

Lotharofxev, BRSSW, and Prototypemind. I'm calling you guys out. To keep things fair and even in the continuation of this debate share with us you Marauder/Sentinel toon names so we can see where you guys are at on the Ranked Leaderboard. Post a Torparse link to your best parse for us to analyze. Throw us a screenshot or a video. You guys wanna trash talk without backing yourselves up and try to render any opposing opinion invalid, then at very least you can put yourselves up for the same level of scrutiny you've demanded of every other contributor to this thread. IT'S TIME FOR YOU GUYS TO STEP UP OR LEAVE IT ALONE

The discussion on this thread has been, for the most part, really cool and I'd like to thank the original poster for initiating it. I've seen some interesting points of view coming from both sides of the debate. In summary, two schools of thought that have emerged: Marauder/Sentinels are a weak/broken class for PvP, and the opposing ideology that they are viable for PvP in the current state of the game.

The thing that has struck me as noteworthy about this debate is the nature of the posts coming from both sides of the debate being quite distinct. Those that are putting forward the view that the class is not viable have been rather aggressive in their commentary, demanding proof of other player's abilities, and generally trash-talking those on the other side without so much as putting a toon name to go with their comments. Those who have been arguing that the class is viable when played well have been more than forthcoming with their toon's identity and have been quite generous with video links, screenshots, etc. The side that has been advocating the class as viable also seem quite humble and humorous in comparison to the posters on the other side of the debate.

Players like Tealord and Bleezar have shown us their perspective from the top end of the PvP rankings. TrillOG, arguably the world's best PvE Sentinel, has shared his thoughts with grace and dignity in an attempt to help players better understand the class. Mid-range players like myself have weighed in with our perspective in a positive manner and attempted to be helpful whilst keeping an open mind as to some of the issues being raised.

So, I'm gonna go down a notch here and get a little nasty.

Lotharofxev, BRSSW, and Prototypemind. I'm calling you guys out. To keep things fair and even in the continuation of this debate share with us you Marauder/Sentinel toon names so we can see where you guys are at on the Ranked Leaderboard. Post a Torparse link to your best parse for us to analyze. Throw us a screenshot or a video. You guys wanna trash talk without backing yourselves up and try to render any opposing opinion invalid, then at very least you can put yourselves up for the same level of scrutiny you've demanded of every other contributor to this thread. IT'S TIME FOR YOU GUYS TO STEP UP OR LEAVE IT ALONE

My Mara is Ba'kru. Played all of the first few days of ranked this season, got bored, and haven't played since. The only other melee were either Sins, well set up due to their burst with no need for ramp-up, and Juggs, the FOTM due to the ridiculous 30 second ED gift of the devs. Most of the matches consisted of CC fests, and if it was a 4v4 DPS scenario, then as the one with zero protection while CC'd and far worse overall defense against what ranked presents right now it just got old.

Again, just look at where things are. Say you're Electronetted as a Mara; you are left unable to Force Camo and easily kited by ranged who want to burn you down. You can pop your saber ward and adrenal to lessen the damage, but then you'll likely be eaten up when you're stunlocked sometime after and dead before your resolve gets high enough to help you. You could of course break free, after which the CC fest begins again. Had you popped Undying Rage, you could have sailed through the initial burst, only to lose half your health after the fact regardless, then be stunlocked after with the same result. A Sin could shroud through much of it, on top of having two stuns and an interrupt in the form of low slash, allowing burst while the target is stunned, unlike Force Choke. A Jugg could ignore it until he's below 30%, pop ED even if stunlocked, and laugh all the way back up to full health. That is, of course, after his unstunnable window has passed, after leaping in and hard rooting the opponent. That's just one scenario that often plays out and does not by any means go in a Mara's favor.

The best part: while all this is happening, you've started from zero in terms of rage, and have to build up to be able to do any meaningful damage.

There were some recent steps taken to help Marauders out in PvP/PvE--honestly they only get to stick around in Progression because skilled players enjoy them and they add the situational benefit of Bloodthirst. The difference between the highest and some of the lower but well-executed parses is pure RNG. Did you get Gore/Rupture procs or not? The same issue shows up in PvP: ranged and melee DPS who have their hardest attacks auto-proc off other skills or have them guaranteed by the situation, i.e. opponent stunned, taking Damage over Time, etc. vs Maras flailing in hopes of another Gore/Rupture proc. This is a pain for PvE, but death in the short conflict of PvP.

Is the class broken? No. Does it need fixes to make it as viable as other classes? Yes. I don't want more damage or more burst thrown at it so that we melt players even faster, just reward for playing well and the means to survive and be viable in both forms of PvP.

As to your claim that others turned this against you, this is the kind of thing that made me reply to you as I did in the first place:

So let me try and get this right. You're sick of arguing, yet you continue argue that the Marauder class has been screwed over by Bioware for how long? Since 2.0? When exactly did the class get nerfed into it's current (in your opinion) state of weakness? How much time will it take for us all to have access to these "numbers" that prove your point? I've put forward plenty of info on this thread about my performance on my main (which is my Marauder) and stated clearly that I perceive myself to be a player of average skill doing reasonably well in NiM and HM PvE and Regular Warzone PvP. When I group with a Healer I do extremely well in reg PvP. I'm not a non-Marauder-player conspiring to have the class kept down. I love my Marauder above all my toons and play it the most, but I'm not here crying about the class and begging for a buff like you. If there's a troll here it's got to be you bro. Just another scrub. Do us all a favor and uninstall the game and go cry to Blizzard or Zenimax about some other MMO class or grow a set of balls and share some valid details about your toon that shows us all how you used to be a god mode smash monkey back in the day and how impossible it must be that such a highly skilled player just couldn't be under-performing due to a lack of skill or understanding of what it takes to be competitive in PvP with a Marauder.

Do not even try to act like you did nothing to goad a response out of others in this thread. You talk about "throwing down" and "getting nasty" above as if you hadn't been for quite some time now. You're not some kind-hearted soul who was done wrong for just trying to share his thoughts. You acted like a harda55, and some people just gave it back. My reply wasn't caustic, it was just to the point: you don't see where the class is lacking despite it being your main because you don't play it against the best players. Yes, you run into them in regs, but 4v4ing regularly shows you where each class really is, all the more when there's no healer to help. You not realizing that 400-500K on a tank isn't a stretch shows your overall knowledge of PvP. I'm not bashing you, just pointing out facts in that regard. I played in season one, and I played more than enough matches in pre-season for two to see exactly what was coming. I went and did open-world on Outlaws Den with some of the best players on the server, and one of the top Sins, who's also rather skilled on his Mara, commented as to how brutally short Maras fall in comparison to the top classes in 4v4 and 1v1 situations at the moment.

I'm speaking as someone who plays the class, enjoys it, and has taken the time to be realistic about where we sit. The top players in every other class sit at least 200 points above Maras, with the greatest disparity being almost 1000 points. That is more than adequate evidence of where we fall in the PvP shuffle right now. The facts are there, read them or ignore them, your choice. Bottom line is that multiple people in this thread have presented them to you, you decided to get personal and take digs when others did no more than point out that it's one thing for you to give your opinion and another entirely for you to try and tell those who have done what can be done with this class where it sits in PvP.

If there's more you wish to discuss calmly, I'm all for it, but I'm not going to even respond if you can't manage that. I see nothing unfair with that.

With PvP being the CC fest it is, having a DCD that reduces damage is useless if you can't break stuns. Sabre Ward, Camo, CoP, Undying Rage, all great if you are allowed to use them. But as any PvPer knows, you can go from 100% -> Stun -> 40% in a very short amount of time. Heck, if it's an Assassin, with a bit of lag it's 100% -> 60% -> stun -> dead.

Want to make Marauders dangerous? Allow one (or more) of our DCDs to break stun.

Quote: Originally Posted by Prototypemind View Post

Three seconds of 99% DR with no loss of health would not be ridiculous..

Valid point, esp in the case of Ranked PvP which seems to me to be the only area of the game marauders are truly struggling in

Did you forget that the discussion started out quite calmly from my end? Add together all my posts from my first post. You misinterpreted the reason I posted a screenshot of one of my bad reg warzones and took it as me stating "this is me rockin a warzone" at 250k total damage and had a dig at me due to your own misinterpretation. Look at that pic again. None of the damage or healing stats were that impressive and I've provided the additional screenshot/proof that you requested of me doing a little better at 700k damage. My regs go about 50/50 in this regard given all the variables involved. That's just where I'm at and it's a valid position to have a valid opinion on the overall state of the Marauder class.

I don't deny reacting poorly to the rubbish that's been thrown at me but seriously if you've been following this thread in its entirety I think you'd be approaching this a bit differently. If you are who you say you are, then I'll reiterate my previous statement that you make some good points about Ranked. You'll have to forgive me for requesting a screenshot of your Mara for absolute identity verification and to see some more details regarding your tank just to be sure you're 100% legit though. I was respectful of your point of view and will continue to be pending this verification.

There have also been posts in this thread from higher ranked Marauders that don't sit 100% alongside your point of view, and that is something that should be recognized by all of us.

Nothing wrong with disagreement, and precisely the reason there are class reps and threads for input. Regardless, as an aside it's still silly that this game has a tendency to so heavily favor certain classes with each update. For now, we at least got some things to help make Annihilation viable in Regs if not in ranked, but again my feeling is that one small change could make a huge difference in all areas of PvP, especially when going in without a healer, and all the more so with facing a barrage of ranged players.

We need more cowbell =p

Why should Marauders have to sacrifice a PvP set bonus to get something every other class has?

Sorc - 1) Force Barrier, 2) Unbreakable Will

Assassin - 1) Force Shroud, 2) Force Cloak, 3) Unbreakable Will

Mercenary - 1) Determination, 2) Hydraulic Overrides

Sniper - 1) Evasion, 2) Escape

Notice a pattern? Every other class has at least 2 stun breaks.

Also, there's not much point to getting 5 seconds of 10%damage boost following a force charge into a melee if a great deal of that is wasted by the stun lock scenarios Marauders/Sentinels are up against in solo ranked and regs. I admit I don't have the required solo ranked experience needed to be an authority on this. I would honestly love to be able to take a single good idea from this thread and put it to the devs for consideration via the class rep. A change that has the approval of a number of the higher ranked PvP Mara/Sents would have a reasonable chance of being implemented in a future update. That's what I'm mostly interested in, putting aside the trash talk for the time being. Edited by Skettitangles
Incorrect statement

Why should Marauders have to sacrifice a PvP set bonus to get something every other class has?

Sorc - 1) Force Barrier, 2) Unbreakable Will

Assassin - 1) Force Shroud, 2) Force Cloak, 3) Unbreakable Will

Mercenary - 1) Determination, 2) Hydraulic Overrides

Sniper - 1) Evasion, 2) Escape

Notice a pattern? Every other class has at least 2 stun breaks.

Hydraulic is not a stun break, and while force shroud and force cloak can be used to avoid being stunned, they do not break stuns. Evasion also will not break a stun. So the patten is that every other class except sorcs have one stun break. A talented force cammo does what Evasion and HO does with regards to roots and snares by the way.

Also, there's not much point to getting 5 seconds of 10%damage boost following a force charge into a melee if a great deal of that is wasted by the stun lock scenarios Marauders/Sentinels are up against in solo ranked and regs.

If that is happening to you often then you are choosing the wrong time to use leap.

Edited by Vodrin

It doesn't actually happen to me that often lol. If you check back through the thread I'm actually one of the ones that have been saying I'm fine with how the marauder is right now but I've copped a lot of flack because I'm not highly ranked or experienced so was just trying to float some ideas that might be worth passing on to the devs