So word on the street is they are soon to announce Voss as playable race...

Malckiah

But who wants it?

I mean don't get me wrong new content is nice, but I don't think Voss is desired by most of us....could be wrong though.

Never heard this before, and considering how much people want the Togruta and Nautolan's BEFORE any other races according to the previous poll they ran and how I don't think Voss were even listed in the poll they ran.. then IF it were true it would be a shameful ignoring of their community wants and a total kopp out with yet another AS close to human without actually being human alien species they could come up with.

IF it were true.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cat people you kind of understand even if no one in the community really asked for them, but there has to be zero interest in the Voss.

Also, the Voss are huge, much taller than any of the current playable races, so it would be harder for them to make them work with the armor/weapons than something like the Togruta, where you just have some clipping issues on chest pieces and perma-hide helmets (not too different from the Twi-lek issues).

Cat people you kind of understand even if no one in the community really asked for them, but there has to be zero interest in the Voss.

I disagree. While I would not pay 1800 cartel coins for them, if it were free, I would roll at least one Voss character.

I would not, even if it were free, roll a Cathar or Tortuga or Ithorian or a Wookiee or a whole host of other species.

Edited by DarthTHC

Voss would not be my top pick, but if they were to make it, I would buy it and play it. (esp. if they added voice modulation so they sounded Voss!)

I just want a new species of any kind :( I'd settle for more customizations for the ones we have though... at least for a while. So much untapped potential!

Voss would not be my top pick, but if they were to make it, I would buy it and play it. (esp. if they added voice modulation so they sounded Voss!)

I just want a new species of any kind :( I'd settle for more customizations for the ones we have though... at least for a while. So much untapped potential!

I'd buy it to support the idea that new species are desireable, just like I did the Cathar, but I wouldn't roll one myself. I don't play Cathars either, even though I paid for the species.

Wonderful. There was also a Twitter poll issued by Bioware - I linked for it a while back, I`ll try to dig it up again. And it won`t kill them to poll INGAME, would it? If they truly want to give the species the players want and not gain artistic points, that is.

[EDIT] http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=555544

Scroll to 13 November.

As for voting, they asked a planet vote around that time, too, then we ended up with Makeb. And Makeb was NEVER a top 10.

http://torwars.com/bioware-wants-feedback-new-planets-and-improvements-to-ui-customization/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4229478#edit4229478

I wish they would do occasional IN GAME polls....it would at least make me feel appreciated and heard....not saying that I don't feel that way, just that that would really make the player feel that way.

Voss as playable race seems unlikely to me.

Would not work well with the VO at all based on all other Voss in the game. Wouldn't quite be a galactic standard talking wookie but pretty darn close. I know they got props for their originality with Voss back in the day but I have to think making them playable would not be near the top of their list. Too many iconic SW races that'd make more sense every way you look at it.

I wish they would do occasional IN GAME polls....it would at least make me feel appreciated and heard....not saying that I don't feel that way, just that that would really make the player feel that way.

That would be probably the only honest way of polling the community, yes.

I don't mind having the Voss as a playable specie but they would simply fall into "uh, another recolored human specie", kinda cheap if you ask me.

I think there are much more interesting species to include as playable, the Gormak & the Esh-Ka (but those would break the lore, like the Voss if they were playable), or even Rodians, Duros (Cad Bane, Bioware bring it on!) and plenty more.

Edited by yoomazir

I am skeptical, but I suppose it is not outside the realm of possibility, considering how "easy" Voss would be, at least if Bioware decided to ignore the fact that Voss NPC's have unique tall, slim bodies. Heck, they wouldn't even need any new hairstyles! :rolleyes:

Voss is a species I would not purchase though. Bald people with bright patterned skin and insect eyes are not my cup of tea. I'd probably buy a Voss Companion though (was so disappointed my Consular didn't get one on Voss).

Which is a really big shame. For me SWTORs biggest flaw was always the lack of interesting racial choices. I understand why they made the races like they are and why they chose only humanoid races, but... those races are just boring. When it comes to RPGs I usually tend to play the least human looking race. In WoW I played Horde for that very reason, most of my characters were Trolls, with some Orcs and Tauren thrown into the mix... in Guild Wars 2 my most played Characters are Charr, Asura and Sylvari.

Humans are boring. Green skinned humans are boring.

And it was a huge, HUGE disappointment that a game with so many interesting and strange races in the available lore decided to go down the "differently coloured humans" route. Weequay, Nikto... all that would've been great. I would've loved to be able to play an Ithorian... maybe a Selkath, a Quarren. Hell, even a Gungan would be more interesting than what they have. -_-

The problem that they fell into was that they basically designed a large chunk of the game around Humans before finalizing any other races. This will always be TOR's biggest problem when it comes to playable species.

The body types, animations, mounts, cutscenes, etc, etc, were all designed around Humans early on in the game's production because they knew they were going to have Humans. The problem this created was that by the time they got to deciding upon other playable species they basically had "human locked" themselves at that point. So much of the game was built around that "shape" that only other things of that shape could work with the game.

It's obvious from these type of threads that a lot of people don't know that we're never gonna get something that's much different than we've already got, because we can't. The game isn't built in a way to support it. Note I'm not talking about Togruta, Nautolans, Weequay, Nikto, etc, etc, those are all different (near) human shaped heads/faces on existing body types. What I'm talking about is stuff that has a height difference, uses a different skeleton, different meshes, etc.

Voss can't be a playable class, they don't speak basic. It sounds like basic, but all they can say is nonsense about mystics and visions.

That's not an issue. They'd use the Class voices (with a filter) "Yeah but..." is just something people will keep saying even when/if the Voss becomes playable, but ultimately what people fail to realize is that it does not matter.

Also, the Voss are huge, much taller than any of the current playable races, so it would be harder for them to make them work with the armor/weapons than something like the Togruta, where you just have some clipping issues on chest pieces and perma-hide helmets (not too different from the Twi-lek issues).

Wrong, the Voss use Body Type 2 with the scale increased. They're no different than a character like Lord Scourge who uses Body Type 3 at an increased scale. They can still use all the armors, animations, etc, etc, with no problem.

Also the majority of people would buy the Voss species won't care that the NPC Voss are taller. Not to mention they'd have to recreate the Voss (or any new species) in their character creation system just like they did with the Cathar. Ever wondered why the vanilla NPC Cathar and playable Cathar don't look alike?

I don't mind having the Voss as a playable specie but they would simply fall into "uh, another recolored human specie", kinda cheap if you ask me.

I think there are much more interesting species to include as playable, the Gormak & the Esh-Ka (but those would break the lore, like the Voss if they were playable), or even Rodians, Duros (Cad Bane, Bioware bring it on!) and plenty more.

Voss as playable race seems unlikely to me.

Would not work well with the VO at all based on all other Voss in the game. Wouldn't quite be a galactic standard talking wookie but pretty darn close. I know they got props for their originality with Voss back in the day but I have to think making them playable would not be near the top of their list. Too many iconic SW races that'd make more sense every way you look at it.

Never heard this before, and considering how much people want the Togruta and Nautolan's BEFORE any other races according to the previous poll they ran and how I don't think Voss were even listed in the poll they ran.. then IF it were true it would be a shameful ignoring of their community wants and a total kopp out with yet another AS close to human without actually being human alien species they could come up with.

IF it were true.

It's not about what is most popular, it's about what's doable.

Wookies could be the most requested race by a wide margin but you still wouldn't see them as a playable species.

The stuff you guys are asking for either isn't doable due to X limitation or would take way too long and be too expensive to add compared to a species that's easier, quicker, and cheaper to get out there.

I wanted Cathar initially. Too bad they turned out not like the NPC ones in game but like humans with face paint. I wanted to look just like Prince Shange :(

I would not want a boring looking, isolated race like the Voss. They are too similar to Rattataki.

This would break the story on Voss.

Voss Jedi Knight tries to convince the Voss that the Jedi will gladly accept them. Does that sound slightly broken to you?

I (hope) doubt this is real. OP, why don't you provide source? Just trolling, then?

No more so than a Pure Blood Sith Inquisitor.

No more so than a Pure Blood Sith Inquisitor.

Or a chiss smuggler who tells the people waiting for a chiss transporter.

"I know my parents were suprised as well"

Or a cathar char who wants to know about the cathar on taris

Edited by Never_Hesitate

They will probably not add these races until they've gotten rid of their horrible clipping issues (Have you seen the Twi'lek Lekku and how horrible they still sometimes clip?)

I am Okay with gearing all these races to avoid clipping tbh.

I haven't been to Voss, but for me the trouble with species like Muraluka and what the Voss sounds like is that you lose the whole 'cool' aspect of the race, and that's the way they express themselves (or at least the way Visas did). Since I doubt they would write a bunch of OMG, philosophical-mystical-awesomeness lines as PC responses, I'd rather get one more visually different race, like Nautolan or Nikto. OR I would trade it for additional options for already existing races.

Edited by DomiSotto

Wether or not they implement it, or where I may or may not have received info is irrelevant... The question is Who wants it?

So you made the whole thing up.

/facepalm

Just scream really loud, your mommy will eventually give you some attention.

It's not about what is most popular, it's about what's doable.

Oh come on, are you gonna tell me that Bioware devs are incapable of modelling something else other than "human reskins" species? I understand that we need a humanoid specie that fits in all the cutscenes & romances kisses, I just don't want another cheap recolored human, I'm not asking for the Moon here, no one is.

Edited by yoomazir

Oh come on, are you gonna tell me that Bioware devs are incapable of modelling something else other than "human reskins" species? I understand that we need a humanoid specie that fits in all the cutscenes & romances kisses, I just don't want another cheap recolored human, I'm not asking for the Moon here, no one is.

It's more that you're going to see the easier/simpler races before you see the more complicated ones.

For instance I'd like to see Nautolans, but they're not going to happen any time soon, if ever at all. They can use the existing body types, and all armors minus helmets, but where stuff starts getting complicated is with their faces. They can't recycle any of the playable faces for them, nor could they just use the two existing Nautolan faces in the game for the same reasons they couldn't use the existing Cathar faces. Everything kinda needs to have the same type of face for the facial animations to work. For example a character doing an inquisitive look with one eye half closed and the other eyebrow raised. Works completely fine across all human type faces. Now apply that same animation to a Nautolan face and chances are it's not going to look right, glitch, or even work. More than likely the squinting eyelid would clip down through the eyeball. That's just one of many examples of things that would be problematic.

It's because of stuff like that^ they'd choose to do the Voss over something like Nautolans.

Alot of people want Togruta but people don't point out that they're still very human like. Togruta can easily use all of the playable faces. They only thing that separates them are their leku. They're basically are humans with a head dress on. In other words at a certain point they (the Togruta) are an easy/easier race to do over a number of others.

We'll probably never see any thing "that" complex in terms of species, even if they can/do use the body types, animations, etc.