Tanks Guarding Each Other

Toweleeeie

So I am in a DF sm right now and the tanks just guarded each other for the 1st boss. I had aggro the whole time even using my aggro drop every time it was up. So I ended up doing the tank mechanic.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Also never do this ever...

So I am in a DF sm right now and the tanks just guarded each other for the 1st boss. I had aggro the whole time even using my aggro drop every time it was up. So I ended up doing the tank mechanic.

its a necessary mechanic. If you are getting aggro in DF SM either your tanks are undergeared or you are poorly managing aggro.

1st boss has a dual attack that hits a target for around 50k. To mitigate tanks will be standing next to each other and thus take only 25k damage. Guarding each other will further reduce the damage each take and thus make it survivable.

I find it funny that you as a DPS who has never done this raid before is telling tanks (who have at least read the mechanics) how to wrongly tank this. Perhaps it is you who should be reading about the fight and understanding your roll. And more importantly, letting tanks actually get aggro and not jumping in at first pull.

l2p

they cannot guard each other, but one tank CAN guard the other. usually, its done to absorb some of the damage from twin slash, it helps if your co-tank has borderline gear. since in cases where its done - tank doing the guarding is the one also supposed to be holding the boss - the threat issues were either because they messed that part up, or they just weren't very good to begin with.

its a necessary mechanic. If you are getting aggro in DF SM either your tanks are undergeared or you are poorly managing aggro.

1st boss has a dual attack that hits a target for around 50k. To mitigate tanks will be standing next to each other and thus take only 25k damage. Guarding each other will further reduce the damage each take and thus make it survivable.

I find it funny that you as a DPS who has never done this raid before is telling tanks (who have at least read the mechanics) how to wrongly tank this. Perhaps it is you who should be reading about the fight and understanding your roll. And more importantly, letting tanks actually get aggro and not jumping in at first pull.

l2p

1 they guarded EACH OTHER

2 i waited a good 10 seconds and used aggro drop every time its up

3 i have done it on HM few times and have never seen this mechanic used

4 i have also healed it on my sage on HM

unless they changed the mechanics of the guard recently? you can NOT guard a person that's already guarding someone, and/or while guarded yourself.

only one tank can guard the other.

we've also done this on hard mode, waaay back when we were still gearing up.

since the tank doing the guarding has full threat and offtank is just there to absorb twin slash - guard can only be helpful to the healers.

if they were losing threat to you, something else was going on there.

but this IS a legitimate strategy.

Edited by Jeweledleah

again, you cant guard each other. one tank puts a guard on the other, and prevents that tank from guarding anyone.

Its typically how the mechanic works, at least in HM. If its NOT used, I find it difficult to believe you make any such progress unless in full BIS gear and just sandbagging down in HMs. For a SM probably less needed but if they are used to running HM, its common.

Pretty much the only guide used

you should probably stop posting about things you have no clue. God, you remind me my old GM who insisted I use high endurance gear over high mitigation.

"While active, the guarded player takes 5% less damage and generates 25% less threat"

Its 5% less dmg while only one tank can hold agro,if said tank doesn't generate enough threat outside of taunts he will eventually lose guard if you are dpsing right,I think neftra is 2.8k+ dps?Its not a good tactic imo

"While active, the guarded player takes 5% less damage and generates 25% less threat"

Its 5% less dmg while only one tank can hold agro,if said tank doesn't generate enough threat outside of taunts he will eventually lose guard if you are dpsing right,I think neftra is 2.8k+ dps?Its not a good tactic imo

Because taunts work on percentages, it compounds exponentially, whereas threat from DPS increases linearly. Outside of the opening window, a tank can hold threat on taunts alone, even easier if the DPS use their threat drops regularly.

Also, assuming that the tank doing the guarding generates more threat than the other normally, this is no different than it would with neither of them guarded. He still has to try and out-pace the DPS in either situation.

if you had agro the whole fight then you were dead. the mechanic would have killed you. try again

Edited by ivanhedgehog

No they didn't.

I don't care how many times you have run this op on non-tanks, I play two tanks and you can't guard someone who is already using guard nor can you use guard if you are already guarded. It just can't happen.

No they didn't.

I don't care how many times you have run this op on non-tanks, I play two tanks and you can't guard someone who is already using guard nor can you use guard if you are already guarded. It just can't happen.

Have to give him credit for finding a new way to whine as a DPS though. :p

And all good whines in the forum are heavily dependent on wrong facts, rhetoric, and emotion.... and the occasional bout of incontinence. :)

Edited by Andryah

Maybe it was the fact that when you Guard someone you and the Guarded player both get buff called Guard.

Tooltips are different for these two though:

For player who used Guard on another player it says "Intercepting damage" (can't remember exact wording).

For player who is Guarded it says something about DR and lowered threat generation.

Why weren't the tanks guarding the healers like they're supposed to?

*jetpack*

I'm guessing because healers may have been having trouble healing the tanks without damage reduction of the guard?

guarding healers is what our tanks do now, but way back in a day, we did do the "one tank guards the other" thing

of course, you can't do that on Nightmare, but there are a lot of things that you cannot do on nightmare and used to be able to on normal and hard.

Never seen this (and likely never will as you can't guard and be guarded)

Wondering why you are trying to do the tank mechanic as a DPS? You do know as a DPS you are meant to be, you know, killing stuff? If you had aggro issues, and your aggro dump isn't working, stop dpsing. Pretty simple, lowers your threat. Or you could use sparkle powder.