How soon can you grab Companion Customizations?

SW_display_name

It's kind of funny to be asking this considering how long I've been playing, but I'm doing some really experimental stuff with my second round of character stories (to keep things fresh) as I complete my "full set" of ACs.

Up till now I've mostly just used the default customizations (first 8 stories) or just picked up new ones whenever the whim struck me (stories 9 and 10).

For AC #11 forward I have much more elaborate backstories going on, including unique redesigns for every Companion (ie, my first Class story is the canonical crew, my second Class story is a different unique crew).

To help support the immersion for this, I'm of course relying on Companion Customizations to help separate the Crew from their default versions.

TL;DR

Can you visit every planet (and thus every Customization Vendor) as soon as you get your Ship, or are there are other limitations in place?

eg, can you land on Belsavis at level 20 and pick up your Ensign Temple customization to have it waiting in your inventory as soon as she joins? Or will you get an error trying to use the Shuttle because you're not in a storyline point where landing on Belsavis makes sense yet?

I would test this myself, but I don't currently have a character of the appropriate low level (too much 2XP leveling :p) and I don't want to get a nasty surprise when my Companion plans go awry while I'm leveling through my next stories. :)

(yes I am this OCD of a lore/RP freak, just humour me ok

:()

I just tested this with a level 17 fresh off Coruscant. Any travel restrictions, if they even exist, are so negligible as to not be noticed. I was able to travel to Belsavis and get to the vendor without any problems. I could not, however, buy any customizations for a companion I did not currently have. I was perfectly able to buy all of the customizations for Corso, but was unable to purchase any for Akaavi or Bowdaar. (Error message that the item was unavailable - also on item tooltip explicity stated that it required that character listed in red)

So while you can get to any planet you like, you'll need to actually get the companion before you can purchase their customizations. There doesn't seem to be a workaround since the customizations are BoP.

You can get companion customizations from the cartel market without having the companion, at least those that are included inside of the various packs.

You might also find those customizations on the GTN as, to the best of my recollection, they unbind from the pack opener after a period of time.

So if you want any of those customizations, you may be able to gather them and have them waiting for the companion to show up.

My first action when getting a new companion is to immediately get a customization for them if just so I look different on fleet.

As long as you have the companion and a ship you can go anywhere, even ilum. And all the vendors are accessible without having to fight overpowered enemies.

What about the ones on Ilum? I travelled to Taris immediately after Balmorra on Imp side, but never to Ilum.

It is annoying you can't purchase and send it in the mail :(

I think I've tested this out and you can go to Ilum via ship almost immediately. You just can't get there via the ATM.

(Also, just seconding that, yep, I do the same thing as the OP was asking, and you can go to higher level planets for customizations 'early'. It just costs a lot, but if this is alts #9-16, you probably have credits to subsidize them. :D )