Which Story is which Alignment side?

Reno_Tarshil

For me personally and this is how I view it from my experiences in what alignment suits each class best.

Republic Side

Consular - Light Side

Knight - Light/Dark Side

Smuggler - Dark Side

Trooper - Light/Dark Side

Imperial Side

Inquisitor - Dark Side

Warrior - Light/Dark Side

Agent - Light/Dark Side

Bounty Hunter - Light Side

What do you perceive each class's alignment to be?

Jedi Guardian: Light Side

Jedi Sentinel: Dark Side

Jedi Shadow: Dark Side

Jedi Sage: Light Side

Scoundrel: Dark Side

Gunslinger: Light Side

Commando: Dark Side

Vanguard: Dark Side

Sith Juggernaut: Dark Side

Sith Marauder: Dark Side

Sith Assassin: Dark Side

Sith Sorcerer: Light Side

Operative: Dark Side

Sniper: Light Side

Mercenary: Light Side

Powertech: Dark Side

Jedi Guardian: Light Side

Jedi Sentinel: Dark Side

Jedi Shadow: Dark Side

Jedi Sage: Light Side

Scoundrel: Dark Side

Gunslinger: Light Side

Commando: Dark Side

Vanguard: Dark Side

Sith Juggernaut: Dark Side

Sith Marauder: Dark Side

Sith Assassin: Dark Side

Sith Sorcerer: Light Side

Operative: Dark Side

Sniper: Light Side

Mercenary: Light Side

Powertech: Dark Side

why the differences between advanced classes?

Jedi Knight: Light Side, maybe a couple Dark Side choices at most [Light V]

Smuggler: Neutral, leaning slightly Light [Light I or Neutral]

Sith Warrior: Dark Side, maybe a couple of Light Side choices at most [Dark V]

Sith Inquisitor: Neutral, leaning slightly Dark [Neutral or Dark I]

Bounty Hunter: Dark Side overall, but with a fair number of Light Side choices [Dark II, maybe pushing Dark III]

Haven't finished playing through the other three class stories yet, so not really sure about them, but if I had to guess from what I have played or just heard about:

Consular: Light Side overall

Trooper: Neutral, maybe leaning a little bit Dark

Agent: Definitely a mix overall, really not sure which side it'd end up on by the end.

Jedi Knight: Light Side, maybe a couple Dark Side choices at most [Light V]

Smuggler: Neutral, leaning slightly Light [Light I or Neutral]

Sith Warrior: Dark Side, maybe a couple of Light Side choices at most [Dark V]

Sith Inquisitor: Neutral, leaning slightly Dark [Neutral or Dark I]

Bounty Hunter: Dark Side overall, but with a fair number of Light Side choices [Dark II, maybe pushing Dark III]

Haven't finished playing through the other three class stories yet, so not really sure about them, but if I had to guess from what I have played or just heard about:

Consular: Light Side overall

Trooper: Neutral, maybe leaning a little bit Dark

Agent: Definitely a mix overall, really not sure which side it'd end up on by the end.

JK agreed - most of the DS comes when romance is involved.

Smuggler agreed (trying to go DS on second smuggler, a lot of the choices make no sense unless the character is totally emo)

SW - have not played yet

SI - agreed (I got him to DS5 through dip crew skill more than anything)

BH - this is where I disagree. In my experience it was the opposite: LS overall with a bunch of DS choices. That being said, it really depends on how you treat your "marks" and how you treat others who might or do get in your way to the "mark." Boils down to killing vs not.

JC - Slight disagreement. Chapter LS all the way, beyond that you can develop a significant dislike for your enemies and end up slightly DS.

Trooper - so easy to follow orders so like the JK mostly LS with a few DS choices thrown in.

I have not played the Agent yet either.

Consular = Light

Knight = Light

Smuggler = Dark

Trooper = light or dark

Inquisitor = dark

Warrior = mostly dark one light side option on remote planet but can work with many of the light side choices.

Bounty hunter = Light side and punch people on Alderaan.

Agent = must be mixed light\dark.

For me personally and this is how I view it from my experiences in what alignment suits each class best.

Republic Side

Consular - Light Side

Knight - Light/Dark Side

Smuggler - Dark Side

Imperial Side

Inquisitor - Dark Side

Warrior - Light/Dark Side

Agent - Light/Dark Side

Bounty Hunter - Light Side

Consular - Dark side

Knight - Light side

Trooper - Dark side

Smuggler - Light/Dark side

Inquisitor - Dark side

Warrior - Dark side

BH - Light side

Agent - Light/Dark side

For me;

Republic Side

Consular - Light Side (I want to eventually make another that is a fallen/follower of Rajivari)

Knight - Light Side

Smuggler - Light Side when she can help without putting herself on the line, Dark side if there's more to gain or less hassle.

Trooper - Mostly Light Side but Dark Side when it makes more sense for the character (Lawful Good sort of thing)

Imperial Side

Inquisitor - Light Side (She became a sith against her will and plays along dialog wise for survival but makes light side choices as much as she can get away with.)

Warrior - Dark Side

Bounty Hunter - Light Side (She's a hired killer, but not a monster.)

Agent - First one was Neutral, choosing light or dark side based on the what was best for the mission or Empire. One was light sided but still chose dark when needed so she didn't blow her cover. I may play a purely dark one eventually.

Edited by Jessabeans

Trooper - so easy to follow orders so like the JK mostly LS with a few DS choices thrown in.

I would say that the Trooper leans more towards Dark Side choices if you're following orders and/or doing what's best for the Republic.

The Light Side Trooper choices tend to be more of what's better/best for an individual in the moment versus the majority in the long run. A large number of choices are like this on the Republic side. When playing as a Jedi often times what's best for you or the Jedi Order is LS while what's best for the Republic as a whole tends to be DS choices.

I tend to not like alignment mechanic due to the fact that it tries to fit choices into good and evil or present them that way when often times they're just choices with no good or evil intentions behind them. I wish they would've kept all the same choices the game currently has but ditched the alignment system. There really isn't any positive to it. It restricts a large number of relics and lightsabers unless you're fully going in one direction and the mechanic tends to push players (especially first timers) down one of the two paths rather than just letting people go with their gut feeling or whatever. For instance when a lot of people see that alignment coloring they're always going to chose Blue/LS because that's the "good" choice and they want to be a good guy, however if there was no alignment they would probably make different decisions and as a result have a more interesting play through.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

I've also found that the alignment tends to get in the way of the story, instead of being part of it. Many times I've chosen to say things out of character so I didn't lose rep with my companion, or made a choice I didn't think was the right choice/made sense because of the alignment tied to it. I really don't like the alignment on non-force sensitive classes anyway. I was one of the original reasons I became disinterested in the game.

Now that most of my lowbies use treek until they get a better companion at least they can go through dialogue with less of an 'affection guessing minigame' which makes leveling a bit more enjoyable, but more expensive as I have to buy them all gifts since they never leave the ship. I prefered the renegade/paragon system, I find it hard to play my trooper because of how often she's in conflict about what is right for her to do in a situation. Not in an enjoyable way, but in an immersion breaking way (which is a shame, I was such a Lady Shepard fan that I want play the trooper class and have Jennifer Hale's voice back for my character.)

Edited by Jessabeans

I've also found that the alignment tends to get in the way of the story, instead of being part of it. Many times I've chosen to say things out of character so I didn't lose rep with my companion, or made a choice I didn't think was the right choice/made sense because of the alignment tied to it. I really don't like the alignment on non-force sensitive classes anyway. I was one of the original reasons I became disinterested in the game, now that most of my lowbies use treek until they get a better companion at least they can go through dialogue with less of an 'affection guessing minigame' and that makes leveling a bit more enjoyable, but more expensive as I have to buy them all gifts since they never leave the ship. I prefered the renegade/paragon system, I find it hard to play my trooper because of how often she's in conflict about what is right for her to do in a situation. Not in an enjoyable way, but in an immersion breaking way (which is a shame, I was such a Lady Shepard fan that I want play the trooper class and have Jennifer Hale's voice back for my character) .

See I never understood the affection maxing approach, one low-level gift will off-set all but maybe 3 particularly egregious negative choice/companion combinations (Ashara really doesn't seem to like it if you blow up 9/10ths of a planet, though).

If you're playing the story out in terms of what your character would or wouldn't do, then part of that should include the people who are with him having their own personalities and reactions to it. My Jedi Knight has relatively low affection with Scourge because I play very Light Side, but that seems like the way it should be. A Sith Lord should have a problem with those choices, and a dyed-in-the-wool Jedi should go ahead and make them anyway.

And if you are playing a character who cares more about having the people around him like him than he cares about anything else, well then you can play it out that way too.

See I never understood the affection maxing approach, one low-level gift will off-set all but maybe 3 particularly egregious negative choice/companion combinations (Ashara really doesn't seem to like it if you blow up 9/10ths of a planet, though).

If you're playing the story out in terms of what your character would or wouldn't do, then part of that should include the people who are with him having their own personalities and reactions to it. My Jedi Knight has relatively low affection with Scourge because I play very Light Side, but that seems like the way it should be. A Sith Lord should have a problem with those choices, and a dyed-in-the-wool Jedi should go ahead and make them anyway.

And if you are playing a character who cares more about having the people around him like him than he cares about anything else, well then you can play it out that way too.

When I chat with my friends at a bar and we disagree on things it does not make them like me less or be less of my friend. We discuss the matter and understand each other's perspective, it does not change our opinion of each other. That's not how relationships work, it would be one thing if they vocally opposed a situation and we could discuss it (maybe I would care more about them if it had worked that way) but just having a little negative number flash up was annoying to me. Some of the companions do not have much consistency in their choices anyway. Then again, I chose my friends, the crew most of my characters end up with seems like a few companions that make sense and a few that were tossed in JUST to be arbitrary to your character's goals. (EG, Vette for Dark Side Warriors and Kaliyo for agents.)

If I had any choice in my character's crew Kaliyo would be rotting in an imperial prison, not lounging at my ship's exit. She betrayed my agent's trust in the story. It was such a great moment seeing her get hauled off in a different cut scene. I wish I could have left her there, but I wanted to finish the story.

As far as the maximized affection approach, I am a completionist, so I need to have all the companions on all of my alts maxed out, I don't want to do months of dailies expressly to buy/do crew missions for gifts it was purely an economic choice. It was something that I found tedious and unenjoyable.

Edited by Jessabeans

The Consular is Lightside. Your choices are all very boy scout. It just doesn't have that sense of being able to really break Jedi codes like the knight. That's how I remember it anyway. If you do darkside things it typically didn't fit the mode the story puts on the character.

The rest are a toss up as far as Chapter 1.

Sith Warrior's story is Darkside, although you can proceed is a Light manner. Same with the Inquisitor. The thing about the Sith is you spend a lot of time killing other Sith. And when you do fight Jedi one could say they are the ones asking for it. I think the Sith kill more Sith than the Jedi.

I don't really consider the Smuggler darkside at all. Most opportunities to kill are justified. You can be a selfish jerk, but straight up evil??? Same with the Trooper. You're fighting an enemy combatant. Treating them as such isn't darkside in my opinion.

I haven't played the Agent or BH (starting them tomorrow).

The affection system is just as bad as the alignment system.

For a lot of people when they see that negative affection pop up it makes them feel like they did something wrong. Some people like yourself know that you can offset it with gifts but not everybody thinks that way or wants to do that. In most cases players/gamers/people want it all. They want to get and/or see everything in a single playthrough and feel good about themselves while doing it. This is part of the reason why the majority of gamers when playing these type of choice based games tend to go with the good choices.

As for your relationship with Scourge this is another part of the problem. These characters are permanent fixtures of your crew. It doesn't make sense to always have someone around who disagrees with everything you do, nor should you not be able to access that companion's conversations just because you haven't filled up some "how much I like you" meter.

Companion's conversations should unlock via story progression not affection. In a large number of cases companions reference points in time in the story progression, ie "Finally glad to be off Tatooine." or whatever which would be referencing something from Chapter 1, but something you don't unlock until Chapter 3+ due to the fact that you haven't raised that comp's affection. Not to mention that if you have a companion's affection high enough early on you can blow through all their conversations at the begging of the chapters. For instance if you have X companion at max when starting Chapter 3 you can have all their chapter 3 conversations right in a row when it would make more sense to spread them out a little bit more by class story/planets. I know some convos are blocked by story progression, but what I'm saying is that you wouldn't be able to have a dozen companion conversations in a row unless you've been ignoring X companion (on your ship) throughout your class quest.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

Jedi Knight - LIght Side, with a few Dark Side choices (Light 3)

Jedi Consular - Light Side all the way (Light 5)

Trooper - Neutral, get the job done

Smuggler - Dark Side, with a few Light Side choices (Dark 2)

Sith Warrior - Dark Side, with a few Light Side choices (Dark 3)

Sith Inquisitor - Dark Side all the way (Dark 5)

Bounty Hunter - Light Side, with a few Dark Side choices (Light 2)

Imperial Agent - Neutral, whatever is best for the Empire

I've not played them all that way, but I think that is how they really gel best.

Republic Side

Consular - Light Side

Knight - Light/Dark Side

Smuggler - Dark Side I don't agree with this one. If you play the dark side choices you seem to be cold and only in it for the money, which doesn't really hold up to many of the things you choose do do in the game (because you do choose them, you aren't forced all the time). I'd say the Light side or even down the middle is the better choice here. You'll come off as the colourful rogue that still has a heart.

Imperial Side

Inquisitor - Dark Side Light side feels pretty logical here actually. Former slave being able to have more empathy than most sith and all. Not saying that dark side isn't right, but both work just fine with the story.

Warrior - Light/Dark Side Did a "gray" Sith Warrior. Played a Mandalorian force wielder and it felt pretty nice, but I can't imagine a sith warrior that picks the light side choices.

Agent - Light/Dark Side

Bounty Hunter - Light Side And this is where I disagree again. Sure, if you plan on marrying Mako, light side is the way to go. But going dark side or gray will make you feel more like an actual mercenary that is ready to do the "tough jobs" for the right price. IE: more like Boba Fett or Jango Fett.

Answers in colour.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

When I chat with my friends at a bar and we disagree on things it does not make them like me less or be less of my friend. We discuss the matter and understand each other's perspective, it does not change our opinion of each other. That's not how relationships work, it would be one thing if they vocally opposed a situation and we could discuss it (maybe I would care more about them if it had worked that way) but just having a little negative number flash up was annoying to me. Some of the companions do not have much consistency in their choices anyway. Then again, I chose my friends, the crew most of my characters end up with seems like a few companions that make sense and a few that were tossed in JUST to be arbitrary to your character's goals. (EG, Vette for Dark Side Warriors and Kaliyo for agents.)

If I had any choice in my character's crew Kaliyo would be rotting in an imperial prison, not lounging at my ship's exit. She betrayed my agent's trust in the story. It was such a great moment seeing her get hauled off in a different cut scene. I wish I could have left her there, but I wanted to finish the story.

As far as the maximized affection approach, I am a completionist, so I need to have all the companions on all of my alts maxed out, I don't want to do months of dailies expressly to buy/do crew missions for gifts it was purely an economic choice. It was something that I found tedious and unenjoyable.

But then you are not a bounty hunter or a jedi or any other high-profile occupation like that.