once you are max affection with companion, can you lose bonuses?

Gammawaves

So I went through all the stories for all of my companions and said all the right nice things to them, I bought them lots of gifts and now they love me with max affection.

I unlocked their achievement, I am getting the prestige bonus, ect.

Do I still have to be nice to them? Or can I now do whatever I want and not worry about losing affection points? If they drop below max affection, will I lose +prestige and achievement?

Edited by Gammawaves

"LOSE" and "LOSING". Those are the words you want.

You can LOSE affection with your companions and it will adversely affect anything that pays attention to NPC affection. You will not LOSE the Legacy unlock for maxing affection/finishing the missions for an NPC, though.

It stays at 10,000.

It does not. Losing affection is most certainly possible even after unlocking the Legacy achievement for that companion. The loss affects everything that pays attention to the metric.

so then nothing happens if you do things that cause negative affection?

I can do whatever I want to my companions now and not worry?

Try it and see what happens. What's the worst thing you have to do - buy one more companion gift? ;)

I had Zenith at 10,000, lost APs, it still read 10,000, same with Iresso. It probably keep counting all numbers above 10,000 then, both negatives and positives, it's just not as visible since it doesn't show the score if it is >10,000. Edited by DomiSotto

I had Zenith at 10,000, lost APs, it still read 10,000, same with Iresso. It probably keep counting all numbers above 10,000 then, both negatives and positives, it's just not as visible since it doesn't show the score if it is >10,000.

Now get it back to 10,000 and note your companion's crew skill times. Lose a good chunk (like 100 or so) and see if that affects. (Losing 100 can be restored by any compatible level 5 artifact-quality companion gift.)

I am actually curious enough to do that - I will see if I can PO Iresso, then bring it (the AP) back up and look at crafting times.

Actually, can't we have increase in the AP bar to 12,000? Seeing crafting got upgraded to 450, and reducing mission times would be sweet!

Once it's unlocked, it's unlocked. Your affection can and will go back down if your companion doesn't like you but you won't lose any of the bonuses.

You won't lose any of the LEGACY bonuses.

You WILL lose some of the crew skill bonses. Your companion will take longer to run missions and have a slightly lower chance of crit (+1 to crit on all crewskills per 2k affection, so at 10k you get +5, but at 9900 you get +4).

Affection points are not carried over. Once you get 10k, any more + points do nothing for you. But some - points will take you below 10k. If you doubt me, go ahead and run Esseles over and over to test it. Also remember: you don't lose points with a companion until the quest turn-in, not right after any given conversation.

As has been said, these losses are minimal and can generally be remedied with a small gift, if you care about that sort of thing.

• 1 year later...
Once I have a companion at 10k, I have never seen it dip below that. I suppose it is possible that if you go over 10k it is still there and only displays the 10k, so I might actually be losing affection but it still be remaining over 10k. I always thought that at 10k you just became so attached to each other that you could hit each other in the head with a baseball bat and not care, LOL.

This is not true. You can indeed lose affection with a companion, even if they are sitting at 10,000; you won't lose the legacy unlock, but conversation choices can dip your affection below the 10,000 mark.

I usually avoided making conv choices that upset the companion, but have maxed every companion affection with the exception of HK repub side.

It would be nice to have that extra cushion there once you reach the 10,000 plateau --, both on affection and on Darkside/Lightside points - but its not. Anything that makes it dip below that will affect whatever it affects - whether its combat crits or crafting.

I can confirm that it will indeed drop again even if you get it to 10k.

My female dark side Assassin had the last conversation with Ashara the idiotic sock-head mime and I think I lost almost 100 points.