ELO is completely broken. Bioware please address this problem

Aristore

The rating system is complex and looking at 2 screenshots of differing ratings, games played and win/loss ratio doesn't provide a compelling argument that something is wrong with the rating system.

Thanks for responding Alex. However, the system really isn't that complex. In terms of establishing a player's initial rating, the system clearly overweights the first ten matches. I'm sure you Devs didn't intend for players to simply win their first 10 Arena matches, earn a 1500 Rating and all T1 Season One Awards, and never queue again. Because that is what actually happened.

In regard to Rating and Matchmaking, it's also relatively simple to arrive at a reasonable conclusion that the system is not functioning effectively. Would you agree or disagree that the active population of players queuing at any given time has an impact on how well that matchmaking works? If you agree, which I expect you do, then what is an acceptable level of player participation in the form of a real number? Because I promise you that on the majority of servers, especially non-pvp servers, that recommended/expected pool of players is not present at any given time.

And if that last statement is true, then it goes without saying that the Matchmaking system is not working correctly. It's not a micro-issue of players providing examples and data. It's a macro problem, the data to which only you have access. After all, as you stated, it's a complex system (do you even know how it works? does anyone at BW?) and only you can see the actual metrics of participation.

First I've heard of this! I'll take a look and see if we can't get that droid's memory erased so he is a little less insolent to his new masters :csw_c3po:

Uh. That's just another case of QA not working with the Republic side at all. This wrong droid was SOOO obvious !

How many more occations must we face that something isn't working on Republic side until QA actually begins to work with BOTH sides ?

I agree with this assessment of the OP. The rating system is complex and looking at 2 screenshots of differing ratings, games played and win/loss ratio doesn't provide a compelling argument that something is wrong with the rating system. BUT! The system is complex and we (devs) can't just dust off our hands and say "all is well, jolly good job old chaps". We'll take a look at your match history and see if anything stands out that shows us that something is up with the rating system.

Happy Friday everyone! Cheers! :mon_biggrin:

First off thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. I'll admit I have a tendency to lean on the dramatic side in posts, especially if the topic has to do with solo ranked :).

My main frustration with the system was that I was consistently building a bigger and bigger elo deficit because the teams/players I was losing to were often lowrated. But the catch is that because I was under 1200, low rated players were the only people I was going up against, while at the same time being paired with low rated players. For some reason though I would still lose 2-3 points more for every arena lost than I gained for every arena I won. That's why I was still sitting at an elo of 1137 with a winning record.

I get that there are a ton of different variables that come into play but if this had been my first experience with ranked and the elo system I would have thought the system was rigged and wouldn't have bothered to do ranked anymore. People quitting ranked is not something anyone wants.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Alex. I would like to ask about the queue system in terms of people having different ratings on the same team. I have 1500+ rating but get queue'd with people who are in their first ever ranked match with 27k HP and no augs.

I don't want to hear about it being about queue times because it isn't, I have asked who on my guild is queueing and other people on the fleet so i know there are players who have a similar rating to me but i don't seem to get queue'd with them. It is impossible to progress in solo ranked unless you are cheating with skank healers or the other team has a leaver. Please just acknowledge that this is a problem.