ELO is completely broken. Bioware please address this problem

Aristore

Here are screenshots from two of my toons that have basically the same record:

http://i.imgur.com/fLHEjIP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1G7Y7mr.jpg

The difference is that one is already over 1500 and the other is barely above 1200. This **** is insane. Being 61- 48 and having an elo 1239 means something is broken.

1. Adjust the weight that your first few matches have. You should not be taking 50 elo swings in your first few matches. If anything your elo should go up/down LESS is the first 10 matches. All this stupid system does is punish players who either get unlucky, or who are unskilled and as a result of their excessively low elo feel completely discouraged from participating in ranked. Stop this nonsense

2. Reevaluate the way you award elo swings when there is a single high rated player on a team. On my sin,I was below 1200 for a long time. In one arena I had a 3v4 but because one of the two players on my team had an elo above 1500 I lost 16 elo. In a 3v4. Won the next arena with the same player and earned 9. A single player should not destroy the elo of lower rated players, especially players below 1200.

Please reevaluate the way you determine the elo won and lost. This system is counterproductive to encouraging less skilled players to play, and gives exceedingly huge advantages to those who do well in their first 10 matches.

i would suggest system without loosing any ELO.

players might just gain ELO, so bads would sit on low elo and top players will still sit on highest elo.

this = more ppl and teams in grp and yolo rated queue, no elo loss when u meet leavers, dc etc..., no problems with skank heal ... and space for beginners for l2p arenas without stress

so basicaly loss = waste of time only, win = elo gain

english is my third language

Edited by mrekxxx

Dood, it took them 2.5yrs to put daily terminals inside the warzones and an extra month to figure out they also needed the deposit terminal.

Lol so true.

As for the OP, I agree the first 10 games literally determines too much.

Honestly though, the entire system is wonky, and that's not even touching the match-making system.

Dood, it took them 2.5yrs to put daily terminals inside the warzones and an extra month to figure out they also needed the deposit terminal.

And Hypergate STILL doesn't have a turn in on the imperial side!

Also, the republic PvP vendor in Hypergate is an imperial droid that asks you if you are "off to destroy the republic?" Hilarious.

Edited by Vid-szhite

players might just gain ELO, so bads would sit on low elo and top players will still sit on highest elo.

this = more ppl and teams in grp and yolo rated queue, no elo loss when u meet leavers, dc etc..., no problems with skank heal ... and space for beginners for l2p arenas without stress

^ I talk about this yet in Season 1. And about cross-faction solo ranked arenas.

But Bioware dont care listen their payed customers, this is why I quit playing this game.

Edited by TonyDragonflame

And Hypergate STILL doesn't have a turn in on the imperial side!

Also, the republic PvP vendor in Hypergate is an imperial droid that asks you if you are "off to destroy the republic?" Hilarious.

And on one side of Civil War, not sure which, after the match starts the terminals disappear. So if you forget to grab your daily before the match starts on that side you can't get it after you respawn even though it will show the terminal icon on the map. :rolleyes:

These are things that I don't understand how they make it through Quality Control. I mean I recall the dev saying he was adding in the terminals on his lunch break. Once that's done, on internal PTS why wouldn't you just load yourself into each map on each side and see that they work instead of not checking and risking a bug sitting there for an additional month? /shrug

Edited by Dawginole

It is based off the rating of players that you play against/with.

Either you were playing with high rated players on one toon during your wins, or played against low rating players for your wins or alternatively:

beat high rating toons on the other char.

I can assure that the actual ELO works, now as for the matchmaking.... That leaves something to be desired :/

Either you were playing with high rated players on one toon during your wins, or played against low rating players for your wins or alternatively:

I can assure that the actual ELO works, now as for the matchmaking.... That leaves something to be desired :/

Yes but that's not something you can plan for. I can't purposefully pair myself against higher rated players. I realize what you're saying is correct, but to check this I would literally have to load into a match and then on my other screen look up the opposing players on the leaderboards and if they were lower then I still couldn't do anything. I mean if you leave you take a big hit, right?

LOL! It's funny because it's true...and scary for the same reason...

I hate losing rating due to 3v4's, lag spikes, or just getting unlucky with team comp and or unskilled players. But, as much as I hate it and do agree with the original poster that some tweaks should be made to the system, your idea here would destroy ranked completely. Without without elo loss you basically turn rating into a GRIND, which rewards the players with the most time to dedicate to farming arenas, not the best or most skilled players.

Edited by J_McSkill

Here's some things I think would help:

- If a person leaves or dc's lock them out of queue for 30 mins, if it happens again in 24hrs, lock out for 60mins

- In 3v4 matches, the team with 3 should suffer no rating loss, a win would still grant rating.

- In games where someone quits or dc's in the first round, backfill that spot. The backfill would receive no rating loss or severely less than if he came into a fresh game.

- I agree with op that the initial games you play should not count for so much rating. I believe it's 12 wins in a row on a fresh ranked player will put him over 1500, this is broken. Maybe a fix would simply be to only give rewards to those who participated in X amount of games, with X being somewhere between 50-100. This would eliminate those who just had a lucky streak on their first few games and quit playing after that.

I know I'm forgetting some so I'll add to this list as they come to me.

I would like to announce that I am old, as I glanced at the subject line and the first thought that popped into my head was "Electric Light Orchestra is broken? They haven't played in years..."

:eek:

I lolled. Bioware Please, we need you to fix Electric Light Orchestra. I mean MR. BLUE SKY, come on. BW step it up

It is because your initial rating relies so heavily on your first 10 games. And you gradually lose/gain less points as you play more games, regardless of rating. The weight of the first 10 games is too much when the queue population is so small and the match making so borked.

Rating is like 99% irrelevant to solo ranked, there shouldn't even be rating based matchmaking in yolo. Match classes and roles and that would be good enough. Rating matching is a joke in the RNG world of yolo queue. And yes, the rating gains or losses are extremely lopsided. Either a +6, or a -16. And there isn't really much I can do to carry a 600 rating healer, right? Or a 3v4. The fact that I have 1900 rating or something doesn't mean ****, really. With the low skill cap in this game, you can't realistically compensate for 1-2+ extremely bad people on your team against a decent team.

The option of not losing rating in losses might be interesting, would remove some RNG from yolo.... and will convert it to "the nolifers who queue the most get the highest rating" (which is good for me, yes, but overall it might not be good for the "community"). And quitting should still be penalizing rating, or, to be honest, I will quit matches. A lot. Maybe 1/3 of all matches. Maybe more if it is Tuesday.

Rrating loss should be determined by LOWEST rated person on the team compared to the lowest on the other team. If the lowest rating on your team is 1500 and the lowest on the other team is 600.. well, yeah, the -16 is completely deserved, unless it is 3v4.

I still stand by my opinion that 3v4 should end in instant draw with comm and credit gains as in a loss, and not counting for weekly/daily. No rating gain at all. And the one who quits to eat an epic rating penalty. Even if it is DC. Yes, DC is not his fault but still ruins his team, so better punish the DCs of one person rather than everyone else who had absolutely nothing to do with the DC.

And yes, lower the importance of the first 20 matches. Seriously, a good start like a guy had, 45-4, can get you to 1900 rating, but if these games happen after a 5-5 start or something like that, it will not even get you to 1700. Might not even get you to 1600.

I lawled so hard at this. Thanks, needed that.

• Dev Post
And on one side of Civil War, not sure which, after the match starts the terminals disappear. So if you forget to grab your daily before the match starts on that side you can't get it after you respawn even though it will show the terminal icon on the map. :rolleyes:

This should be fixed in 2.7.2. I made a booboo where the terminal was placed so that it looked good on Imp vs Rep and Imp vs Imp but Rep vs Rep one of the sets of terminals was inside the ship. Doh! :sul_embarrassed:

First I've heard of this! I'll take a look and see if we can't get that droid's memory erased so he is a little less insolent to his new masters :csw_c3po:

I agree with this assessment of the OP. The rating system is complex and looking at 2 screenshots of differing ratings, games played and win/loss ratio doesn't provide a compelling argument that something is wrong with the rating system. BUT! The system is complex and we (devs) can't just dust off our hands and say "all is well, jolly good job old chaps". We'll take a look at your match history and see if anything stands out that shows us that something is up with the rating system.

Happy Friday everyone! Cheers! :mon_biggrin: