How do you find time to remove dots?

Lundorff

I have been a sage healer for the majority of my time, but I must blankly admit that I seldom remove dots. Between healing and surviving I do not have the time to scrutinize my team mates health bars no matter how large the icons are. I locate the team mate that needs healing the most and otherwise I will be focusing on keeping everyone bubbled.

How do you, fellow PVP healers, find the time to remove dots?

(This post was brought on by the latest dots-removal-frenzy.)

I have been a sage healer for the majority of my time, but I must blankly admit that I seldom remove dots. Between healing and surviving I do not have the time to scrutinize my team mates health bars no matter how large the icons are. I locate the team mate that needs healing the most and otherwise I will be focusing on keeping everyone bubbled.

How do you, fellow PVP healers, find the time to remove dots?

(This post was brought on by the latest dots-removal-frenzy.)

For what it's worth I sometimes play a watchman spec on my sentinel and I almost never see healers cleanse my DoT's, even on themselves.

I remove them on occasion but usually I can't spare the global. I always remove saps and mezzes if I can.

But seriously, what DoT's can even be cleansed anymore? Correction what important (rotational) DoT's can still be cleansed?

Sage healers have pretty much been shafted. Pre- uncleansable balance/madness DoTs, they were the main things to watch for. However, now those DoTs have been protected, and soon annihilation/watchman's DoTs will be uncleansable as well, rendering the physical and Force aspect of sage cleanse worthless.

Primary DoTs that are cleansable are pyro/assault DoTs, and Lethality/DF DoTs, but those are up to mercs and Ops to cleanse. Also Watchman DoTs can be cleansed, but those are gonna get protected in 2.8. Cleanse slows, roots, or mezzes when you can, and the odd physical/mental debuff. Cleanses aren't only for DoTs, debuffs as well.

Also, you can still cleanse affliction/weaken mind and CrD/Mind crush, as long as they aren't specced into the DoT protection in Madness/Balance.

Edited by BishopSMASH

I don't normally pay attention enough to remove DoTs. The only time I do is if a teammate calls out for it or say my tank stays he is being DoTed up then I will work in the cleanse. The other time I usually cleanse is when I notice a high amount of DoTers on the enemy team players. 2-4 players all dropping dots on one its really hard to heal through so I will cleanse that.

I remove them on occasion but usually I can't spare the global. I always remove saps and mezzes if I can.

But seriously, what DoT's can even be cleansed anymore? Correction what important (rotational) DoT's can still be cleansed?

word. cleaning a mezz is a big help. There are no DOTs worth cleansing anymore.

i actually spam cleance..specially on myself while kiting..in general you never know what are you removing, it's tight..but an affliction from a healer, which can deal about 4k dmg can be dangerous while keeping ppl up..

Aren't they becoming immune to cleanse in 2.8? And at least in the case of the powertech they are very easily reapplied.

Nope; only watchman and annihilation are becoming uncleansable in 2.8. As you said, Pyro DoTs have no CD. Making them uncleansable would just be stupid.

Edited by BishopSMASH

Aren't they becoming immune to cleanse in 2.8? And at least in the case of the power tech they are very easily reapplied.

No, that's one reason Sorc and Sage dots are getting buffed because there were not in line with the damage that BH/Trooper pyro/Assault dots can do. Being that they can keep their dots up 100% of the time on their target, with a "general" ranged attack, it's no point in giving them a immune to cleanse elemental tech based dots.

Edited by Tonev

I cleanse all the time. Cleanse leaves certain specs (ie lethality) useless, but you need to be smart about cleansing. IE you let a lethality sniper do Corrosive Grenade -> Corrosive Dart -> Weakening Blast THEN you cleanse. Their Cull will be useless after that and they now got a 8 sec (?) cd on Weakening Blast.

I cleanse all the time. Cleanse leaves certain specs (ie lethality) useless, but you need to be smart about cleansing. IE you let a lethality sniper do Corrosive Grenade -> Corrosive Dart -> Weakening Blast THEN you cleanse. Their Cull will be useless after that and they now got a 8 sec (?) cd on Weakening Blast.

Except that's completely wrong. Lethality dots automatically reapply once they end, cleansed or on their own. So your would have to cleanse twice, unless you are also an OP then you can evasion plus cleanse. The cool down on your cleanse is going to allow you to be hit with a full strength cull no matter what

Edited by Capt_Beers

Nope; only watchman and annihilation are becoming uncleansable in 2.8. As you said, Pyro DoTs have no CD. Making them uncleansable would just be stupid.

CGC has a 6 second lockout, TD has a 15 second cooldown, and Incendary missile cost to much heat to reapplied. Plus any globals spent on reapplying dots pushes back railshot, which is a massive DPS loss, plus a delayed railshot also screws with heat management even more, cleansing pyro dots can overheat the Hunter really really fast.

I suggested in a long buried thread that (at least) IM's dot, if cleansed would allow the next IM to be used off cooldown with significantly reduced heat cost. That would mean cleansing of dots would still be beneficial but it also would screw over the pyro.

Edited by Zoom_VI

No, that's one reason Sorc and Sage dots are getting buffed because there were not in line with the damage that BH/Trooper pyro/Assault dots can do. Being that they can keep their dots up 100% of the time on their target, with a "general" ranged attack, it's no point in giving them a immune to cleanse elemental tech based dots.

Bullsh*t. Pyro doesn't have even remotely better DoT damage, not since the CGC nerf in 2.0. And Crushing Darkness is the mother of all DoTs.

Only dot I cleanse on my sorc is the affliction dot applied by lightning tree sorcs before their rotation. if I do see the all-too-rare anni dots I will cleanse them, but usually a player still running anni at 55 is not good enough to worry about. If I see a lightning sorc, I use cleanse quite often on affliction amd crushing darkness.

I think sorcs can cleanse veng bleeds as well, but not really worth the GCD when you are getting face raped by a veng jugg :)

on my op and merc I cleanse very often against lethality sbs pyro players.

Only if I can spare the GCD I will cleanse an actual DoT. I'll always cleanse a mezz/slow/root if possible.

The question should really be......how can people be so dumb as to not remove dots/slows/mezzes......assuming it's not a madness sorc blah blah.

Some people don't know they can be cleansed, or they are tunnelling.

I heal on a scoundrel, and as mentioned by several people cleanse is a situational ability. Very effective against Pyro/assult merc/mandos as this diminishes the amount of burst damage they are able to deal against the target they are hitting. Not very effective against dirty fighting/lethality smuggler/agents when they are bursting as it takes two GCD's to be effective. But if everyone near you is HoT'ed up and you have a free GCD you should really cleanse those dots too.

I use a cleanse instead of a purge before disappearing act if i only have 1-2 tech dots as this free's up my purge to be used later. As with any class or ability they all have their appropriate time to be used and this knowledge separates really good players from the mediocre.