Something has to be done about gold farmers

Mrdann

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you could just ignore them and go about your business?

Redonk. Everytime you log in these days you're ignoring 5 new people. Is that really a solution? I recall in FFXI that they just had GM's sitting invised in highly populated areas and would just insta ban these guys after shouts.

Redonk. Everytime you log in these days you're ignoring 5 new people. Is that really a solution? I recall in FFXI that they just had GM's sitting invised in highly populated areas and would just insta ban these guys after shouts.

Bioware needs to do this. Being their 1st MMO, I'll cut them slack for not having done it from the start...but 3 years later, they need to get their **** together.

Bioware needs to do this. Being their 1st MMO, I'll cut them slack for not having done it from the start...but 3 years later, they need to get their **** together.

Game has been out for less(!) than three years, not to mention that it went F2P more than six months after(!!!) its original release.

ok i have noticed in the last few months there have been gold farmers spamming chat at the station, instead of the starter worlds now.

i mean i realize this game is free to play but seriously? something needs to be done about removing them because this is getting out of control

You don't like spam? YOU PEOPLE NEED TO STOP SPAMMING THE FORUM about gold farmers. Report the person and move on. You just added to the problem by creating this thread. The problem of people spamming in case you couldn't figure it out. Now go away.

Wouldn't it be possible to implement some sort of filter that blocks all messages containing their gold-selling website addresses? I think that would be more of a hassle for them than a easily circumvented IP ban.

Other than that I support the idea of just muting them without their knowledge:D

Edited by Knorlac

That was awesome.

It was a PR stunt, that while mildly entertaining on the few occasions when they actually did this did nothing to squelch the selling of in game currency. Aion was actually one of the worst at enforcement, particularly early after launch.

Wouldn't it be possible to implement some sort of filter that blocks all messages containing their gold-selling website addresses? I think that would be more of a hassle for them than a easily circumvented IP ban.

Other than that I support the idea of just muting them without their knowledge:D

Visit buycreditslol.com.

Visit buycreditsloldotcom.

Visit buy credits lol dot com.

Visit buy credits lol . c o m

Visit b u y c r e d i t s l o l . c o m

/edit: Just in case: This is a hopefully fictional site. If a site of that name actually exists and sells credits, I'd like for my post to be deleted please.

Edited by Wylf

It was a PR stunt, that while mildly entertaining on the few occasions when they actually did this did nothing to squelch the selling of in game currency. Aion was actually one of the worst at enforcement, particularly early after launch.

In steps the fan boy AGAIN

So if you want to get on target here...... you should be carping about the players that sell their credits to currency resellers. They are the source of the problem.... and for that.. it is actually smart of Bioware to not have auto-ban (or auto-squelch) features in the game. Why? so they can comb their database and follow the credits back to their sources. ;) Like law enforcement practices against organized crime.. MMO security teams for the most part use the same net casting methods and ban entire groups of players at a time.

Learn what you are actually upset about, IMO, before you prosecute it in the forum. ;)

Won't work.

The people doing the spamming are spamming on behalf of the brokers. The credits move from the seller to the buyer in the game, never touching the broker's account.

The spammers are an annoyance only. They will never be a way to track down the transactions.

Visit buycreditslol.com.

Visit buycreditsloldotcom.

Visit buy credits lol dot com.

Visit buy credits lol . c o m

Visit b u y c r e d i t s l o l . c o m

/edit: Just in case: This is a hopefully fictional site. If a site of that name actually exists and sells credits, I'd like for my post to be deleted please.

Yeah, writing a filter that strips the white space out before comparing to a configurable list of known spammer URLs and their variants is a task well beyond what a skilled MMO developer could accomplish. :rolleyes:

Yeah, writing a filter that strips the white space out before comparing to a configurable list of known spammer URLs and their variants is a task well beyond what a skilled MMO developer could accomplish. :rolleyes:

There are still lots of ways to mask an URL while spamming. Hell, if I were a seller I'd just start spamming tinyurl links :p

Edited by Wylf

There are still lots of ways to mask an URL while spamming. Hell, if I were a seller I'd just start spamming tinyurl links :p

The problem is not insurmountable. WoW solved it to the extent that the spammers had to get to the point of killing themselves in just the right spots to spell out their messages in bodies.

The only reason we still see credit spam in this game is that the developers don't care enough about it to prioritize it.

Ignore works pretty good in these cases. Although it is pretty annoying that you have to ignore the same individual numerous times for each Alt that you have. Both the Friends List and Ignore List should be Legacy-wide imo.

Completely agree! It's beyond stupid that I ignore on one character, switch to another just to be bombarded by the same crap I just ignored.

For the internet new folks (yes even Bioware), you can ban IP addresses and specific subnet domains. People do it ALL the time for voice chat systems like Vent, TS, Mumble. It's really not that hard to prevent these spammers from logging in again. I'd say an active week of monitoring, and they go away forever.

b*-*u*-*y*-*c*-*r*-*e*-*d*-*i*-*t*-*s.< <> /\/\

***b***c***d***s***l*****

***u***r****i***l****.com

***y***e****t***o*********

buycreditsI0I.c0/V\

b*-*u*-*y*-*c*-*r*-*e*-*d*-*i*-*t*-*s.< <> /\/\

***b***c***d***s***l*****

***u***r****i***l****.com

***y***e****t***o*********

buycreditsI0I.c0/V\

I'll type it again because it's obviously easy to miss twice.

Blizzard implemented a text filter in WoW so good that spammers had to resort to killing their characters in very specific ways to get their message across... they could not do it in text.

If Blizzard can do it, BioWare can do it. The problem is not the technical challenge, it's lack of caring on BioWare's part.

Blizzard implemented a text filter in WoW so good that spammers had to resort to killing their characters in very specific ways to get their message across... they could not do it in text.

I hadn't heard of this before.

What about their solution made it so effective?

I hadn't heard of this before.

What about their solution made it so effective?

I wish I knew how they coded it. I only know that chat spam was non-existent and I was quite impressed the times I saw a herd of people arrange themselves just so and die together and their bodies spelled out a gold-seller site.

I'll type it again because it's obviously easy to miss twice.

If Blizzard can do it, BioWare can do it. The problem is not the technical challenge, it's lack of caring on BioWare's part.

I think you mean once?

If it was so easy then why do most MMOs suffer from the same issue? Also, my response was aimed at the post I quoted where you mentioned just stripping out whitespace. My examples aren't solved quite so easily.